Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves not Using Barrels and Bins  (Read 6580 times)

YotaXP

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarves not Using Barrels and Bins
« on: July 27, 2011, 04:59:22 pm »

For some reason my dwarves are very reluctant to use barrels and bins in my food and finished goods stockpiles.  This has led to rotting food and space issues.  They have always used to be quite tidy with them, and I feel like I'm the only one running into this.  Has something changed, or did I do something to cause this behavior?

Here is a screenshot of these two stockpiles.  Food is in the top-right, furniture is in the lower-left (with spare barrels and bins), and finished goods is just right of that.  Finished goods is set to use 20 barrels and bins, food is set to 30.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And here is some of my poor rotten fish and plump helmets.

tmrt

• Bay Watcher
  • Black-Clad Voyeur
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves not Using Barrels and Bins
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 05:07:03 pm »

Finished goods is set to use 20 barrels and bins, food is set to 30.

There exists no finished goods which are stored in the barrels, so it would be most wise to set the limit to zero. Overall, I see several empty barrels in the furniture stockpile and it is definitely insufficient. Load your carpenter with some work.

EDIT: Also, how do your bowyer feels about being walled off in his workshop?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 05:11:06 pm by tmrt »

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 05:25:50 pm »

Always put finished good available barrel to max, they will only use what they need from the furniture stockpile. barrel count in the furniture stockpile is not important, since it doesn't talk about the barrel item itself, but the maximum barrel used for storage at this specific stockpile. No furniture can be put ''inside'' a barrel. Seem that your refuse are outside the fortress or cavern, they wont be gathered in the refuse stockpile untill you change the global refuse order.

The key is ''o'', then change the gather refuse outside order to accept vermin. always make sure you have at least 2 permanent hauler dwarf at 20-25 pop and 10 to 15 overstock of barrels and bins.

Also, have a look at your stockpile withe the ''q'' ans ''s'' key. Does your stockpile accept everything?

That should fix it.

YotaXP

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 08:03:34 pm »

I mentioned the furniture pile to point out that there were spare bins that they could use.

The finished goods and food piles aren't the only ones suffering.  Here's my ammo stockpile, using the default ammo stockpile settings:

EDIT: Also, how do your bowyer feels about being walled off in his workshop?

Nothing but a skeleton now.  He's a great tourist attraction though!  Or not.  Oh well!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 09:07:10 pm »

Check your stock[p]ile settings and make sure you haven't set the "reserved barrels/bins" settings to something unreasonable. Reserved barrels are useful for making sure you can always brew more alcohol or extract more dwarven syrup, but there's never any reason to reserve bins as no workshop jobs rely on using them.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

YotaXP

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 09:30:18 pm »

AHA!  Thank you!  I hadn't realized that the 'reserved' things were global settings.  I was under the impression that they had to do with the max settings of future stockpiles.  My fortress is tidying up as we speak.