Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange bug?  (Read 914 times)

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange bug?
« on: July 27, 2011, 04:19:28 pm »

I just started up a new game (31.25, LNP, unmodded), built a metalsmith's forge and started forging a suit of bronze armor like I've done many times.  For some odd reason, in the list of armor pieces that you can select, "high boots" don't show up at all.  Every other piece including low boots are an option, but no high boots.  Has anyone ever seen this?  Did a file get corrupted, or am I missing something?

tmrt

• Bay Watcher
  • Black-Clad Voyeur
    • View Profile
Re: Strange bug?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 04:36:16 pm »

You didn't pay attention to your mountainhome civilization, do you? In this particular case high boots are simply unavailable.

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 04:41:21 pm »

You didn't pay attention to your mountainhome civilization, do you? In this particular case high boots are simply unavailable.

Yeah I just did a test and started again with the same civilization and checked if I could purchase high boots and they weren't available.  Very odd.  I was aware of the iron anvil/steel anvil thing, and that various plants, animals, and stones might not be available from all civs, but I never thought different armor pieces might not be available so never checked that.  Seems a bit strange to me.

tmrt

• Bay Watcher
  • Black-Clad Voyeur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 04:44:11 pm »

Yeah I just did a test and started again with the same civilization and checked if I could purchase high boots and they weren't available.  Very odd.  I was aware of the iron anvil/steel anvil thing, and that various plants, animals, and stones might not be available from all civs, but I never thought different armor pieces might not be available so never checked that.  Seems a bit strange to me.

Think of it in lines of "Dwarven artisans from said civilization haven't figured out a way to forge some proper high boots".

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 08:49:03 pm »

I prefer to think of it in terms of "Enemies of said dwarven civilization tend not to swipe at their ankles, and thus nobody ever considered covering them."
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 12:11:42 am »

I prefer to think of it in terms of "Enemies of said dwarven civilization tend not to swipe at their ankles, and thus nobody ever considered covering them."

I don't know what is a high boot exactly, but by any chance you meant knee?
if you did meant knee, remember that dwarves don't have them:http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/On_the_origins_of_dwarves#Urist.27s_Anatomy

So i would prefer to think in the terms: "Dwarves have no knees and therefore no need to cover them"

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 01:20:28 am »

Nah. Low boots literally only cover the foot. High boots cover up to the totally-existent knee.

I mean, you can target the upper leg and lower leg... it's not like the division is arbitrary. Or, well, maybe it is. But it shouldn't be.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 07:51:40 am »

i know how to do them
just order them via manager

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 08:28:17 am »

Which wont work if your civ cant make them. If you dont beleive me try typing in "Lead death star" to the manager screen.
This is a blank sig.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 08:31:03 am »

All types of clothing (and armor is defined in the same place as clothing) have a rarity specified within each entity's definition (in entity_default.txt) - FORCED, UNCOMMON, or RARE (there's actually no case for "COMMON" in the code, so it's seemingly just being treated as "default" rarity). With the default rarity, it's not guaranteed that a particular civilization will always be able to make a particular item of clothing.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:49:14 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 11:06:29 am »

but i make them
via manager

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 11:29:50 am »

but i make them
via manager

Your civilization has access to high boots.  Not every dwarf civilization does.  The OP has a fortress from a civilization that does not, and therefore cannot make high boots, even through the manager screen.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 03:09:31 pm »

Just thought I'd mention this here, but Low Boots and Grieves cover the same area as High Boots and Grieves, High Boots just give an overlap.
So, you can still have fully armored dwarves without High Boots.

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 06:37:08 pm »

but high boots are fashion  :P