Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Redirected Rivers and Fishing  (Read 893 times)

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Redirected Rivers and Fishing
« on: July 27, 2011, 02:43:11 pm »

When my dwarves go out, they get hurt due to the world being hostile and mean to small furry creatures.  My solution to this is to plan out as much of a self-sufficient, closed system, as I can.  I have a really great layout on a massive river valley, and I want to try to redirect one of the brooks that feeds the river down, through my fort, and out into the valley so I can just fish out of the now underground brook.

Will this work or does the act of redirecting destroy my chances of getting fishies?
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Redirected Rivers and Fishing
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 02:55:34 pm »

Vermin fish, the kind your fisherdwarves catch, teleport around between bodies of water on your map.  This is irrelevant to the fishing labor, because the fishing labor does not depend on the actual presence of vermin fish creatures on the map.  Instead, it returns fish based on the biome that the dwarf is standing in while fishing.  A dwarf standing on the surface next to the brook fishing will catch fish from the brook biome.  A dwarf standing in an artificial cavern underground fishing out of an artificial underground river will catch fish from the underground murky pool biome, which usually means he'll catch nothing.  This applies even if the water in the artificial underground river is coming from a brook aboveground.  To catch brook fish, you need to fish out of the original brook tiles.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 03:56:19 pm »

A dwarf standing in an artificial cavern underground fishing out of an artificial underground river will catch fish from the underground murky pool biome, which usually means he'll catch nothing.
Knowing that real fish don't particularly care if they're caught in a stream or an artificial tributary of same, I'm curious:

1. Is this behavior (fish being unlikely in underground murky pools) controlled in the RAWs? (See also: Bug.)
2. Is there any way to mod this so that the underground biomes are better populated by fish? (Preferably cave fish, etc. if possible.)
3. Does this have any effect whatsoever on the populations of fish that can be caught in a given map? (I know there's a hidden limit, etc.)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 03:58:45 pm by Nameless Archon »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 03:58:49 pm »

In theory, you can always go through your creature raws and add [BIOME:ANY_POOL] or [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_WATER] to fish as you see fit.  In practice, I think that fishing from murky pools and underground water might be broken at the moment - my dwarves never seem to catch anything from the cavern lakes, even though the raws say there should be cave fish and cave lobster down there.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 04:02:29 pm »

In practice, I think that fishing from murky pools and underground water might be broken at the moment - my dwarves never seem to catch anything from the cavern lakes, even though the raws say there should be cave fish and cave lobster down there.
This is what's bothering me. I've had several forts now where my artificial fishing areas appear to be barren from the start, and I've never managed to catch anything in the caves either.

Hrm.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 04:30:06 pm »

I always have a hard time fishing in lakes for some reason.  I used to like embarking on them because it is one of the few places you can find a truely vertical cliff face -- but the lack of fish (vermin or standard) makes it less fun.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 06:59:27 pm »

In practice, I think that fishing from murky pools and underground water might be broken at the moment - my dwarves never seem to catch anything from the cavern lakes, even though the raws say there should be cave fish and cave lobster down there.
This is what's bothering me. I've had several forts now where my artificial fishing areas appear to be barren from the start, and I've never managed to catch anything in the caves either.

Hrm.

Mine seem to be random; I'll have a fishing zone designated in a cavern, and I'll periodically see cave lobsters and cave fish appear in my stockpile for cleaning, and at other times get the "there is nothing to catch in the central caverns" message.  I'm not sure what is up.  Never tried redirecting a brook for fishing though; I'm interested to know the answer, since I'm considering damming a brook in a fort and using it for a waterfall.  It'd be nice to designate a fishing zone safely within a tunnel for said brook.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 12:16:53 am »

maybe cave fish is seasonal? like real life fishies? and altough in real life there is fish in almost any season in almost any place, in DF it might not. Just a guess on what is happening, never did !SCIENCE! on it