Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Toady, be careful when you release the new version!  (Read 1873 times)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Toady, be careful when you release the new version!
« on: June 15, 2007, 02:53:00 am »

You've probably considered this and this is probably jumping the gun a bit, but from what I understand DF has gathered even more attention then it had before...

...and you know as soon as the new version gets released, there will be topics on every forum screaming about it.

I imagine the traffic to bay12games will be legendary, and I can only imagine how much bandwith will be used up when everybody downloads DF.

The traffic is probably the most dangerous but if the bandwith is costly, I think everyone would be alright with an alternate download link via BitTorrent or something. It'd save you money I imagine. I'm sure everyone would be more then happy to seed the torrent for ages while zoning out the rest of the world with DF. =) Same deal with the pregenerated worlds, I'd say, because those will probably be 5+ MB too. You could always bundle a pack or something!

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
Re: Toady, be careful when you release the new version!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 12:45:00 pm »

In fact, you can create a web-seeded torrent which uses your server file as a seed so there's always at least one full seeder present. Simplest way is to set up an account at the official BitTorrent site and use their simple form to create the torrent.

Also, you could have others mirror the file. I could mirror it for one.

The only issue with either of the above is that you would find it basically impossible to track the full number of downloads between every method available.

Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 01:47:00 pm »

I think that when Toady releases his next version the entire internet will explode.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 01:55:00 pm »

Yeah, you're right Janus. But I was worried the web-rush would be crippling to the site and, my god, it could be hilarious, across every forum (Something Awful for instance?) there will be screams of rage and discontent. You know, until the server comes back up.

Gaulgath, you're of course correct... this is just a contingency incase it doesn't explode right away!

MJ working

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 03:46:00 pm »

I just realized how much I am going to miss my internet connection at home.

How am I going to be able to download the newest version of DF to my home computer? With Z axis !

Blah. Thanks for ruining the rest of my Friday. I've got to figure out where my read/write disks are and if I can download it at work write it to the disk and take it home....

(Just release it before the end of the month ?  :)

Jeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 04:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MJ working:
<STRONG>I've got to figure out where my read/write disks are and if I can download it at work write it to the disk and take it home....

</STRONG>

I recommend a USB flash drive.  They are amazing little things that don't cost much... I just looked on amazon.com and you can get 1GB for $11.

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 04:30:00 pm »

Umm, if DF gathers enough attention to flood\crash the site, maybe people will be upset for a day or two but that'll be a very good thing. (Not the upset, the attention.)

Also, there are already alternate ways to dl it. I remember a link that had it pre-packaged with DR tiles, and I'm sure there's a torrent somewhere.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 05:24:00 pm »

(Funkadelic Jive Turkey; can I call you FJT?   :D) - Sure, the attention would be great I think... I don't really deal with websites and webservers that much but I imagine crashing it or filling it with traffic will cost Toady money. The less money Toady has to spend, the better of course. The reason I suggested a Torrent is because we can contribute bandwith. Most people have broadband connections with a flat monthly fee that isn't dependant upon usage, so most of them would be fine with uploading.

The current version is 4.8mB, I understand. I have no idea how many people have downloaded it, but let's say 10,000. That would be around 46.8gB which is horrendously expensive! Depending where the server is, I suppose. As I said, I'm not really into this stuff. Expensive stuff. =)

Add in 5000 pre-generated world downloads to that, about 5mB each I believe, and it gets worse.

*Edit* I'm not paying attention today... Aye, there are alternate ways to download it, but I imagine MOST of the traffic will go directly to Bay12Games, unless everyone knows where the alternate downloads are in advance.

[ June 15, 2007: Message edited by: Keiseth ]

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 07:49:00 pm »

Nevermind.

[ June 15, 2007: Message edited by: Core Xii ]

Reality is for people who lack imagination

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 08:37:00 pm »

Right now I don't think it'll be that big a deal (I have 512GB a month, and I'm only using about 60GB a month right now).  That's the monthly transfer limit though.  I'm not sure what it takes to down my site just on sheer traffic at one time, but I probably won't be attracting that either.  It might be worth looking into though.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 08:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Right now I don't think it'll be that big a deal (I have 512GB a month, and I'm only using about 60GB a month right now).  That's the monthly transfer limit though.  I'm not sure what it takes to down my site just on sheer traffic at one time, but I probably won't be attracting that either.  It might be worth looking into though.</STRONG>

Who is this server supported by anyway?

Axle Gear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 09:56:00 pm »

I can dedicate my 1mbps upload to seeding it when the time comes.  I'm seeding Swords of the New World right now, which is a massive 3 GB (6 GB uncompressed) and only available on Fileplanet, which requires an account.

Since most people don't want to receive spam in their mailbox, email, and phonecalls, i've opted to give an alternative.

Additionally, I can host it on my website if it's not that large.  Seperate server, and  dedicated T3.

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 11:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Keiseth:
<STRONG>(Funkadelic Jive Turkey; can I call you FJT?    :)

Also, as I understand it and perhaps I don't at all, but Toady wouldn't get insta-billed but rather the site would experience heavy slow-downs until it had enough bandwidth (which yes, would cost money.)

However, if it got that much attention, I'd assumed Toady would see some returns from it.

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2007, 12:03:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Axle Gear:
<STRONG>I can dedicate my 1mbps upload to seeding it when the time comes.  I'm seeding Swords of the New World right now, which is a massive 3 GB (6 GB uncompressed) and only available on Fileplanet, which requires an account.</STRONG>

You totally wouldnt mind lending me that link, would you?

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2007, 12:35:00 am »

you need a beta key for that, but as of now the beta is open to everyone.

It does require a fileplanet account to register to the beta but you do not need one of those monthly fee ones.

also, jeet swesus! 512 gigs a MONTH?

[ June 16, 2007: Message edited by: Tamren ]

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?
Pages: [1] 2