Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I think I play DF differently than other folks around here  (Read 2920 times)

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I think I play DF differently than other folks around here
« on: July 26, 2011, 11:11:34 pm »

I play straight up vanilla for starters.  No tilesets.  I grew up playing Rogue-likes, so uckily reading ASCII hasn't been a problem for me for a very long time.  No mods.  I find there's generally enough diversity and challenge without ramping it up.  I do alter the init options a bit, so there is that. 

I don't use DF Therapist to manage my dwarves.  I've run multiple successful forts at 180+ dwarves without a problem.  I assign jobs to immigrants when they walk in (unskilled types usually end up as masons), so I usually have a pretty good spread of jobs initially.  When the number of dwarves in my fortress gets above 80 or so, I stop caring about each individual dwarf.  If I have a job that needs doing in my fort, I find a handful of idle dwarves (of which there are plenty) and turn the appropriate job on.  It's an iterative process.  At some point in a fortress' life, I have enough jobs turned on on enough dwarves that when I want something done, my dwarves spring into action without me worrying or cursing their laziness.

Yeah, at the 180+ population point, it runs slow, but I fold it into how I approach the game.  I generally run the fortress in the background and check back on it every now and again.  And while it's running, I read stuff, or work on other projects or whatever else.  I don't really get worked up over how slow it's running.  Mostly my forts end because I get bored with them and run out of ideas on how to grow them.  I'm really looking forward to the addition of inns and other means of interacting with the outside world, since it'll give me additional in-game goals to reach.

I rely on traps only when I'm just starting off and haven't had a chance to develop a military.  Once my military starts getting its bearings, I deconstruct the traps (or reposition them to act as a last line of defense; usually cage traps).  I leave my fortresses open, with one or two strong bottlenecks that I position my dwarves at.  Early on, I relied on archers, but realized that I didn't mind losing a few dwarves here and there to invaders or rampaging megabeasts.  It just adds to the background story.

I've never tried to manipulate the artifacts that my dwarves make.  I actually enjoy watching one of my mooded dwarves run all over the place and look to see what object they're dragging back to their workshop, even if it only lead me to say "Aww...just an oak log".  I don't really bother training up my weapon/armor smiths (I'm not sure I've ever had one get above proficient).  I don't delve down after the deep blue metal.  It's been a while since I've actively used magma too.

I'm probably not the only one who plays like this, but some days, it seems like I am.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I think I play DF differently than other folks around here
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 11:23:30 pm »

Sounds pretty much identical to how I play...I've gotten so used to managing dwarves that I don't need DF Therapist or other utilities.  Over time things pretty much fall in to place on their own with jobs/supplies/etc.  I also enjoy the luck-of-the-draw artifacts; it makes the really, really awesome artifacts even moreso because you're used to the generally mundane.

The only difference point is the non-use of magma, which I always go for if I can.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 11:27:37 pm »

Your method of play seems identical to most folks around here, actually. Except the magma part.

Heretic.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 01:16:08 am »

I think its a rareish subset.  I play pretty much the same way, or I used to.  I use DT only when migrant waves come so I don't have to 'v' them individually.  I use tiles, but they preserve the ASCII curses set.  I do use creature graphics and custom init, but only slightly customized.

I usually try to pick one anal theme for each fort, somehow based (at least abstractly) on the random name.  Usually things like path optimization, or some particular industry or decoration, or whatever.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 01:20:34 am »

I usually try to pick one anal theme for each fort,

I just imagined you making a fort shaped like an arse. :o
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 01:25:06 am »

Cool! You play almost exactly like I do. The major difference is just fort size - I generally keep a below-100 population, so I don't have to worry about some of the things you do. I handle them in the same way when I have to, though.

And the magma. It shames me to admit, I have never actually used magma. Set up a workshop on a volcano, sure. Never had much interest in all the machine work, the pumps.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 01:30:43 am »

Yeah, I also play Vanilla game without mods or anything usually(I've been for first time ever playing with raws edited so that Dwarfs and Kobolds would survive world gen), I don't use tilesets nor utilities, I don't use magma since I can't get water pumps work right so I know I can't get magma pumps work right, I don't create invincible trapzones nor do I save scum to get best outcomes of random events like migrants or artifacts or such o-o

So yeah, I play most of the time identical to yours.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 01:51:02 am »

Welcome to the club.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 02:27:28 am »

I play my forts the same way, I don't use magma, or adamantine. The main difference is that I get bored at round 20 Dwarves.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 02:46:12 am »

I play more or less like that, though I'm more careful/protective about my defenses and keep my traps around.

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 07:11:00 am »

I play almost exactly the same way as you, but begin to get overwhelmed by the huge influx of migrants after about 40-50 dwarves. After that I seem to spend my whole time catering to the fort's population. Making sure that there's enough food and drink, preparing bedrooms for migrants, meeting noble demands, setting professions...I just get sick of it before long.

Actually, there're several reasons behind me abandoning my forts prematurely (pointless rant ensues):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 01:22:47 pm »

Yup. Sorry. Consensus appears to be that most people play like you. I remove most of the chaffinches and gibbons, and replace them with more interesting creatures (My dwarves have no cats or dogs, only crocodile monitor lizards), but apart from that, i'm mostly mod-free.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 01:52:18 pm »

I used to not use DT, doing pretty much what you did.  Since then, though, I've picked it up.  It's not so much that I need it or even use it to play normally, but that it allows me to easily do things I would almost never do otherwise.  For example, lately I've been going through the personality details of the dwarves who came out of a recent, massive military training effort to see what works and what does (so far, it seems like the trainee's personality doesn't make a difference, but captains high in leadership, activity, and especially recklessness work really well).  I also sort out those who are particularly lazy or compassionate from the ranks of new recruits (given that my pop just passed 400, those ranks tend to be large).  The thought of doing those sorts of things from within the game makes my brain cry.

And man, I can sort of understand why people don't use graphics (well, not really, but I've resigned myself to the lack of understanding) but I really can't imagine using a non-square tileset.  Maybe it's just because my fortresses are full of circles and other radially symmetrical objects which look like garbage when things aren't properly proportioned.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 02:06:35 pm »

yup also, pretty much the same.
used to use tileset, but got tired of copy-pating them during the 31.19-24 time because of the frequent new versions.
I like magma, but it depends on the location and type of economy the fortress is supposed to model whether i dig down for it. . . don't really dig down for mithril either. :P
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

farecoal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 03:54:03 pm »

Use a tileset because I hate the ASCII art.
Tis a Dwarven Curse to wish Water upon thy enemies, something like "May all yer Ale Barrels run dry and yer tongue always taste water."
Pages: [1] 2