Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What the heck is going on?  (Read 1332 times)

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
What the heck is going on?
« on: July 26, 2011, 07:41:31 pm »

Okay, so I was playing as a Kobold adventurer, walking across a frozen sea, when suddenly, BOOM! A big wall of ice suddenly appeared in my general direction. I continued walking, when another appeared. I walked all around it, seeing that it was rectangular in shape. I walked downwards, and then another one appeared. Is my kobold going mad?  :-\

[EDIT:] Okay, so I was able to upload a pic.

Here it is:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As you can see, my line of sight was slightly through the ice wall, which was because I stepped back after the former-mentioned suddenly ice-wall spawning.

I have also discovered the small opening is a passageway in the darned ice-wall. I'm starting to get worried. Should I go through it?

[EDIT2:] I have now also discovered that it is not a passegeway, but a ravine. Don't you just love the look command to look before you leap?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 08:03:35 pm by jetex1911 »
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

farecoal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What the heck is going on?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 08:03:58 pm »

Do it, but save first. That's kind of creepy, actually, but its mostly likely some kind of bug.
Tis a Dwarven Curse to wish Water upon thy enemies, something like "May all yer Ale Barrels run dry and yer tongue always taste water."

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 08:06:58 pm »

You know, I might somehow turn this into something in Draw Your Adventures. But then again, I suck at drawing...  :'(

And now I'm feeling like that guy from this one short story I had to read in school- The Hitchhiker, only it's not the ghost of a hitchhiker that says hello in a weird way that is appearing whenever I run from them, but it's those ice walls. Wherever I run, A wall spawns RIGHT next to my character. Has Armok become angred by my killings of a Blue Shark with a live oyster?

No wonder the ocean I am walking is called "The Uncertain Gulf". It's mysteriously spawning ice walls to corner me into the water!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 08:14:27 pm by jetex1911 »

farecoal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 08:13:49 pm »

No, he would find that impressive. I think its the fact that you're playing as a kobold that angers him!

But seriously, this is definitely one of the weirder things I've heard on this forum.

EDIT: By the way, how do you play as a Kobold? I already put in the adventurer tier thing, but all their civilizations die out when I gen a world.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 08:23:57 pm by farecoal »
Tis a Dwarven Curse to wish Water upon thy enemies, something like "May all yer Ale Barrels run dry and yer tongue always taste water."

Confused111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 08:16:22 pm »

Your kobold is doomed, I've seen this before. The walls will eventually grow closer and closer until they crush you. It's a really awesome bug, imo.

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 08:26:54 pm »

You know what? I'm going into that ravine. If I'm dying, I die in my own way!  8)

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 11:28:45 pm »

No, he would find that impressive. I think its the fact that you're playing as a kobold that angers him!

But seriously, this is definitely one of the weirder things I've heard on this forum.

EDIT: By the way, how do you play as a Kobold? I already put in the adventurer tier thing, but all their civilizations die out when I gen a world.

add [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK] to their entry in entity_default.txt in your raws.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 01:32:39 am »

Your kobold is doomed, I've seen this before. The walls will eventually grow closer and closer until they crush you. It's a really awesome bug, imo.

Wow o-o That should be a feature!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 02:21:55 am »

Silly, those aren't entity tokens! Those are creature tokens!
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 03:26:45 am »

what do you know.... wonder where i put those tags in then to keep my kobolds alive...
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 03:31:08 am »

what do you know.... wonder where i put those tags in then to keep my kobolds alive...
Kobold entry in creature_standard.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 03:33:24 am »

oh it's simple.
Those are WAVES.

underneath the ice oceans is there, and "waves" are considered to pass through things like floors.
So yup, it's waves.
who ice up immediately. (which is fun, since it could be considered that once enough walls are happen they start moving towards hotter places, eventually making a second ige age or a flood=
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

TheMasterTurtle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a turtle and a master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 02:35:39 pm »

I have had this happen to me on multiple occasions, it is how my best adventurer almost died. I survived because on little passage led me to safety.