Poll

Chasm Lake Walls - Wood or Stone

Wood
- 5 (45.5%)
Stone
- 6 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Broken World  (Read 8050 times)

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
Re: Broken World
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2011, 03:15:08 pm »

Tarran, do you wish to arm these men with more than rocks?
Because the town only has the ability to arm 18 men.
15 of which Kaian wants to send after water.

Now is the time for a little council discussion, perhaps?

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2011, 03:18:47 pm »

Well, nah, it's not like there's anything threatening east since it's all desert, so stones should do the job, right?

...right?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2011, 03:21:56 pm »

Well, nah, it's not like there's anything threatening east since it's all desert, so stones should do the job, right?

...right?

*looks at the Dune series...then thinks of the sarlacs*

right. either nothing, either it's hell broken loose.
we just pissed off the creator if i have read correctly. i don't think it will be the easy way. XD

the skinny man raises his hand to be allowed to talk, his face covered with a scarf, to protect from the wind.
"shouldn't we relocate the village near the water source? it would be easier, and we wouldn't have to risk mens life, furthermore, it's better to keep more mens possible in the village, than outside collecting water" i suggest.

i propose to move the village near the water source.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2011, 03:24:13 pm »

It isn't exactly a village, think of it as a small town. While I am at it, the guards tell you that they did not see what ever attacked them.

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2011, 03:27:33 pm »

A army captain stands up and suggests.

"Perhaps, but we have very little knowledge of the surrounding lands. Something dangerous is near the water, we have no idea what it is. We will loose many people if we try to live there without knowledge.

We should wait a little longer, let our explorers east see if there are more prosperous lands, or extreme dangers that would make relocating more like a good idea."
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2011, 03:38:59 pm »

"did you lose men by day or by night? did any of you hear anything? a shriek, a scream, or just silence?"
i ask.

"perhaps it's true...but we will lose more if we don't do something...losing two men out of 10 once, might as well become 3 out of 15...and if we can't find their bodies, don't we also lose their weapons? and their armours?"
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2011, 03:43:40 pm »

The soldiers were attacked during the night. One instant all is silent, the next all hell breaks loose as things begin stabbing/slashing/tackling them. It quickly subsided though, what ever attacked them melted back into the night. Many soldiers claim to have cut down their attacker, but nothing was found to support that claim besides the wounds that have been inflicted upon the soldiers; cuts that could have been made by either sword or claw.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2011, 03:46:02 pm »

i ask to see the swords...is there any trace of blood at all?
"something which cuts and does not bleed...just what is the enemy? and what have we done to end up in this hellish place?"...i comment.

i have a look at the wounds on the body, at the swords of the soldiers who claim they "cut" something, and then i will assess the situation.

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2011, 03:52:12 pm »

As stated earlier there is nothing on the weapons, no traces of blood, no dents or nicks. Some armor was pierced though, and that is enough to tell you that what ever went at them was strong. By further inspecting the wounds you come to the conclusion that these wounds could only had been inflicted by a weapon, the cuts were too clean, there was no tearing of the tissue.

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2011, 03:54:43 pm »

In the back of the council room a robed man, hunched with age stood up and raised a finger towards the ceiling. His voice cracked with strain and sorrow the Priest began, "What you are all missing is the point of our current situation. Man has grown arrogant in his abilities, and as such our Creator has reminded us that he can bring us low by merely looking away from us. We must begin walking the path of redemption, for without the Creator's kind gaze, our humble world will surely be split asunder. I will be holding a candlelight prayer meeting every evening and I urge, no I beg you all to come."

The old man turned and shuffled out of the council chambers, his voice droning as he began reciting liturgical prayers and cants.

Hold prayer meetings every evening. Attendance should be encouraged as it's the only way to ensure the Creator doesn't throw anything worse at us.
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2011, 03:57:59 pm »

"weaponized enemies.
ambushes in the dark.
Somebody lives in the crevice. And that somebody doesn't want us there...and since the weapons are not dented, nor have trace of blood, either nobody cut them, or they were made of something else. Like...maybe moss? a soft skin, with no blood inside...interesting...truly. Bury the dead. We need stronger armor...and the animals...they didn't Know Us. That's why they didn't Fear Us." i add.
"wherever we are, whatever it is, there are no other humans in this region, for at least a couple of centuries not a single human passed by here. Animals have forgotten us, and so...whatever killed the men, is not human. But is intelligent in it's own kind...we cannot remove the hypothesis that the soldiers have been followed. We must build a wall around the city. Or a barricade. Prayers should be done...after the barricade."

propose to fortify the city

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2011, 04:01:17 pm »

"Yes, we should barricade the city. But I will not pray to a brutal oppressor."

Barricade the city. Use existing houses as walls to reduce the amount of time it takes.

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2011, 04:30:38 pm »

A portion of the people staying in the city should be scavenging for any spare weapons.
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2011, 05:02:31 pm »

"And in the face of danger they stood, proud as they have always been." - Chronicles

Week 4

Raventree
State of the city: Pitiful
Population: 188/250
Morale: Very Low, Unrest.
Food: 200 units (I am now going to go with a 1 unit/person/week system)
Goods: 6 units
Weapons: Enough to arm 24 men

15 men went to the lake with wagons full of barrels.
10 men, armed with rocks, set out into the east.
Hunters continued tracking through the woods, trying to tame its beasts.
The rest remained in Raventree to erect fortifications, clean up, and scavenge.
Prayers were then held every evening.

The 15 men came back, bearing their precious cargo. They also brought word that grass, although sparsely, began to grow near the lake. They also reported being watched, twice spotting watchers that could only be described as brown. It was always brief, but they saw something brown dart away from or to a boulder. Once on their second day on the road, the other time was at the lake itself. They decided not to pursue either time.
Only 7 men came back from the east, 3 had been lost in a sandstorm. They also reported seeing a light in the distance, most probably a campfire. They began making their way home on that night, fearing what ever might of have made the fire.
Barricades and fortifications have been erected around most of the city, a councilman's idea of using the houses themselves as fortification cut down the building time, but it also made the potential living space smaller. Not that it mattered much since there were not enough people for that to be an issue anyway.
Prayers were held every evening, many attended, but others, angry at the Creator, decided not to attend. Notably a Councilman and the Queen's Eyes ,the latter took and oath to "Spit in the Creator's eye for as long as he was alive because of Her death." The Queen's Eye is now available for tasks. Before the Cataclysm, they served Queens and kept the peace, cutting down brigands and beasts, and acting as mediator, judge, jury and executioner if need be.
A wagon was found, in it were 6 identical swords and matching armors.
The taming of animals has not yielded any success, but the hunters still managed to bring in enough food to feed 100 people.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 05:44:16 pm by Stas »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2011, 05:10:01 pm »

The captain stood up, and announced.

"I see nothing for us here in this wasteland... South, near water, should be our new home. But before we do so, we should arm ourselves, my brave people, and lead ourselves to salvation despite our creator's attempts to kill us. Let's show him that we're not that easy to destroy. Many have gave their lives, we should honor them by surviving and heading south."

Ready arms from rocks and any remaining wood in town. Anything that can be made into arms, make it. Then have the village go south to water proudly.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10