Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Classes  (Read 8533 times)

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Classes
« on: July 26, 2011, 07:40:27 am »

Apparently there will be free live streaming classes for beginner to intermediate players on how to play dwarf fortress
http://ureddit.com/class/243

It was mentioned on RPS and BoingBoing.. so the class is getting quite large.

I have slightly mixed feelings about it, thoughts?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Classes
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 08:27:31 am »

Surely anything that may bring a handful of new people into the eventual fold of semi-regular donations to Toady is a good thing for the game in the long term?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 08:28:35 am »

I liked this phrase at Rock Paper Shotgun :

"Dwarf Fortress is, in so many ways, the very apex of PC gaming. It is its alpha and omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end. It’s almost impossible to imagine another game ever approaching its scope, complexity and cold brutality. "

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 09:02:11 am »

I actually find a downside in DF gaining more popularity, although it is quite small.

This place, the forums will (eventually) be introduced to regular internet trash, and the community will never be the same again...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Tweakd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 09:07:20 am »

I'm not sure DF could ever become mainstream enough to attract the "trash" to these forums. DF regulars are a different ilk. We don't do garbage!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 09:31:40 am »

The thing about DF is that its learning curve is too steep for the average troll or whiner to find anything to complain about (other than the learning curve, graphics, and interface) before they ragequit.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 09:50:45 am »

Hey... could Toady or Threetoe create a filter that would place any thread with "graphics", "learning curve", "too hard" or "interface" into a special wastepaper subforum?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 09:54:27 am »

Who is going to watch it to see how Experienced this teacher really is...
And then start pissing themselves laughing at his Fails...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 11:59:17 am »

I think I will.

Bleaktea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 01:32:03 pm »

I actually find a downside in DF gaining more popularity, although it is quite small.

This place, the forums will (eventually) be introduced to regular internet trash, and the community will never be the same again...

I do kind of worry about this, mostly because Dwarf Fortress really only exists because Toady enjoys doing it - the day it stops being fun is the day it dies.  And nothing sucks the fun out of life quite like Internet popularity, the troll rush, and trying to moderate the forum its happening in.

Hey... could Toady or Threetoe create a filter that would place any thread with "graphics", "learning curve", "too hard" or "interface" into a special wastepaper subforum?

And its name will be: "Threadmurdered".

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 01:35:32 pm »

Am I the only one who expects this guy to just troll the class by instantly unleashing HFS and saying if you don't do that, magma floods the world?
Blargh.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 01:47:45 pm »

And its name will be: "Threadmurdered".

I prefer Threadshoots myself.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 02:19:21 pm »

In my opinion a massive influx of new members would pick up pretty quickly on the MAGMA/SCIENCE/CLOWNS memes around here, and then proceed to fit right it.  Its not like everyone around here is a triple-A, premium-quality forum-poster either.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 02:22:32 pm »

In my opinion a massive influx of new members would pick up pretty quickly on the MAGMA/SCIENCE/CLOWNS memes around here, and then proceed to fit right it.  Its not like everyone around here is a triple-A, premium-quality forum-poster either.
*Reads your post*
*Reads your signature*
Huh, at least somebody on the forum gets it.
*Hugs*

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 04:43:21 pm »

Premium quality sure, but this is one of the friendliest forums I've come across and it would be nice for it to stay that way.
That said I also don't think an influx of new members would overly change that.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: [1] 2 3