Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Classes  (Read 8527 times)

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Classes
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 08:34:51 am »

I actually find a downside in DF gaining more popularity, although it is quite small.

This place, the forums will (eventually) be introduced to regular internet trash, and the community will never be the same again...

This game is highly resilient to those kind of people, since it requires patience, intelligence, imagination and creativity.

ventuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 09:41:10 am »

Quote from: Nekomancer
*Note I'm aware of the ads on livestream could be troublesome. If anybody has any ideas for an alternative please let me know!

Someone go tell Neko to switch to justin.tv

nevermind... justin.tv how could you do that to meeeeee, why did you go down the way of livestream?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 09:44:30 am by ventuz »

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 01:38:48 pm »

I actually find a downside in DF gaining more popularity, although it is quite small.

This place, the forums will (eventually) be introduced to regular internet trash, and the community will never be the same again...
Honey, Armok don't make no trash.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 01:41:39 pm »

The thing about DF is that its learning curve is too steep for the average troll or whiner to find anything to complain about (other than the learning curve, graphics, and interface) before they ragequit.
There is no "curve" in DF. Curves are for sissies and elves. DF is 95 degree climb (yeah, that's right. 95).
\
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 01:44:46 pm »

The people who come usually don't stay for very long. DF's slow development time and early Alpha status does a good enough job at that.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 03:44:40 pm »

The people who come usually don't stay for very long. DF's slow development time and early Alpha status does a good enough job at that.
people who come stay forever. DF's Giant Badgers, Vomit monsters, and serrated discs to a good enough job at that.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2011, 03:58:35 pm »

There's good news for all the Dwarf Fortress hipsters, DF will never, ever, be cool.

I for one, applaud such a class. More fans, more donations. Hopefully Toady can live on more than soda and be secure in continuing his project.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011, 04:21:03 pm »

Yeah, really, if Toady does nothing but drink soda and never sleeps, I doubt he'll be around in the ~20 years to get to 1.0

Max176

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 01:32:51 am »

I think we scare all of the trolls away. I don`t think they could at the very least read Boatmurdered, much less troll us.
I'm mining out and admixture every section of adamant ore I can get my easily on to alternation my armoursmith up to allegorical so he can accomplish actively alarming armour for my aggressive. again I'm traveling to do the aforementioned for weapons.

Vlad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 01:40:10 am »

More people would be nice and Toady would get some more donations. Plus I don't think we would have to worry that much about trolls and whiners, since they don't have the mental capacity to play Dwarf Fortress and would probably never even try it because of the graphics.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2011, 02:03:19 am »

Who says they have to play the game to troll the community?
*Hugs*

Vlad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2011, 02:40:10 am »

Then why would they take classes for a game they won't play?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2011, 02:50:28 am »

Maybe those spambots aren't actually bots, but World of Warcraft players trying to ask what's wrong with DF's graphics, or something... :o
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Vlad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2011, 03:38:00 am »

The graphics seem to be the main thing that turns new players away, plus the steep learning cliff. But I LOVE this game and I couldn't imagine playing this game with actual graphics! It describes things very deeply but still leaves a lot to the imagination. But I guess that some people don't have imaginations...   :-\

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2011, 04:42:24 am »

Am I the only one who expects this guy to just troll the class by instantly unleashing HFS and saying if you don't do that, magma floods the world?

"If you look at the weapons in the Stocks menu, you will notice an Adamantine Scimitar located at Z 30. It is guarded by undead, but once you obtain this weapon your military will become pretty much indestructible. Our first priority is obtaining this sword."
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."
Pages: 1 [2] 3