Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Floors which let marksdorfs shoot through?  (Read 5639 times)

Noodz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Floors which let marksdorfs shoot through?
« on: July 26, 2011, 07:08:34 am »

Yesterday i discovered to my chagrin that floor grates do not allow marksdorfs shoot through them. My idea was to make invaders run through an elaborate gauntlet while one zlevel above i built my training barracks, where my dorfs could shoot them in the head while they ran to the entrance.

Unfortunately it didn't work. Only by removing a grate is that my dorfs would shoot the invaders. I have now built floor bars, but i am not sure they will work as i intended. Does anyone know the answer?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Floors which let marksdorfs shoot through?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 08:41:07 am »

Did you build them atop existing floors, or on "empty space"?  Either way, I believe this is intentional, maybe.  Grates and bars act slightly differently.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 08:46:23 am »

The thing I would be worried about is that building destroyers can destroy them, and I don't think they provide protection like fortifications do. It might be better to just have empty space unless you're worried about flying creatures getting in. Even then FB flyers could just destroy them and get in anyway.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 08:47:59 am »

The thing I would be worried about is that building destroyers can destroy them, and I don't think they provide protection like fortifications do. It might be better to just have empty space unless you're worried about flying creatures getting in. Even then FB flyers could just destroy them and get in anyway.

Building destroyers cannot attack upwards.
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 08:54:03 am »

AFAIK there is nothing yet in the game that can be walked upon, yet also shot through downwards. Your best bet is to put a shooting platform/balcony/edge on the floor above, with fortifications.

Building destroyers won't attack bridges or supports anymore.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 09:38:12 am »

AFAIK there is nothing yet in the game that can be walked upon, yet also shot through downwards. Your best bet is to put a shooting platform/balcony/edge on the floor above, with fortifications.

Which means those lovely troll mines that people made with a cast stone held up by a support no longer work :C
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 10:33:43 am »

Which means those lovely troll mines that people made with a cast stone held up by a support no longer work :C
Well, they can still be used, you just need a lever or a pressure plate.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 10:37:19 am »

Have you tried using fortifications instead of bars and placing dorfs one level higher?

Noodz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 11:58:37 am »

I see. And if urist davinci says it then it must be true.

My intention was to built murder holes. I dont like leaving open spaces on the barracks, i fear that when sparring one dwarf could dodge into one of these holes. I guess the solution is to leave holes but surround them with fortifications or vertical grates or bars.

Have you tried using fortifications instead of bars and placing dorfs one level higher?

Maybe i did not understand you correctly, but that would imply a fortification would allow bolts to go through them vertically. I dont think that's possible, but i might try.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 12:02:08 pm »

Don't just build the fortifications though. First build walls then carve fortifications into them so the dwarves can walk on top.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 12:21:09 pm »

That doesn't let them walk AND shoot.

Noodz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 02:10:44 pm »

Don't just build the fortifications though. First build walls then carve fortifications into them so the dwarves can walk on top.

Since it's impossible to carve built walls, i would have to go a zlevel above, dig down the central hole and then order the remaining natural walls to be smoothed/carved. I think it's easier to just build fortifications around the hole.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 02:18:20 pm »

it's impossible to carve built walls
It's impossible to engrave built walls. You can carve fortifications into them just fine.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 02:54:39 pm »

You can carve fortifications into a constructed wall, which leaves a supported floor above it.  However, above it is a floor, not a fortification, therefore it cannot be fired through, while it can be walked over.  If grates and bars don't work, then it appears there's no fire-through walkable surface.

Noodz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 03:04:48 pm »

it's impossible to carve built walls
It's impossible to engrave built walls. You can carve fortifications into them just fine.

:o

It seems i have much to learn yet.
Pages: [1] 2