Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slow World Generation  (Read 671 times)

sarus92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Slow World Generation
« on: July 25, 2011, 07:40:24 pm »

Ok I select the timeline to be 1050 but it takes FOREVER just to get to 150, is there a way of speeding this up? Noob question I know =P thanks anyways!

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
Re: Slow World Generation
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 07:46:30 pm »

Generating smaller worlds, having lower site population caps, and culling unimportant historical figures makes a big difference. And, honestly, there's not a huge difference between 100 years and 1050 years, except potentially more megabeasts and fewer engravings of Urist McNoble ascending to the position of king of the Civilization of Dwarves in year X.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 07:48:53 pm »

Smaller world. World gen is very RAM intensive, so if you can get more, or do your world gen on a computer that has more and then transfer the save back to your main one, that should help, or you can just close down all other programs while you leave it running and find something else to do. You could also just gen a world that's only a couple of hundred years old, you won't really notice much of a difference between a 400 year world and a 1050 year one.

sarus92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 07:50:46 pm »

Rofl yeah I put every setting like on high as it can go i guess thats why XD

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 08:43:26 pm »

There's one very important difference between older worlds and younger worlds. Dragons, specifically, take 1000 years to grow to their full size. It really makes a lot of dragon-slaying stories less impressive.

I "solved" this by reducing the age of adulthood for dragons to 100 years. (Incidentally, I also jacked up all my megabeasts' size by a factor of 10. Demon law-givers and generals never live past the first ten years now before being burnt up in dragonfire, being devoured by a roc, or being crushed by a bronze colossus.)
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 10:03:40 pm »

There's one very important difference between older worlds and younger worlds. Dragons, specifically, take 1000 years to grow to their full size. It really makes a lot of dragon-slaying stories less impressive.

I "solved" this by reducing the age of adulthood for dragons to 100 years. (Incidentally, I also jacked up all my megabeasts' size by a factor of 10. Demon law-givers and generals never live past the first ten years now before being burnt up in dragonfire, being devoured by a roc, or being crushed by a bronze colossus.)
beat me to the punch.

also, longer worldgen means night creatures have a much longer time to proliferate.  do not be surprised if all the humans are severly weakened/extinct because of night creatures.  not so much a big deal in fort mode, but it really impacts adventure mode.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time