Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 70

Author Topic: Supernatural Mafia 4 - Game Over! Demonic Victory  (Read 278136 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Supernatural Mafia 4 - Day 5 - 2 Replacement needed!
« Reply #825 on: September 14, 2011, 10:05:47 am »

Before D4, the Vamps managed to convert a Devil (if I had to guess, MBP fits the bill well, but for now this is irrelevant). Do you recall Leaf making a big deal how the thought of an enslaved Devil was just stupid? That was his only defense... and what's worse is that we collectively accepted it as good enough. It wasn't good enough then, and what's worse is that now he's trying to rely on flavor-based claims for his defense once more, this time to wriggle his way out of what was a surefire test of his claim. With Town pressuring him and MBP into proving it, the easiest way out was to fabricate new "rules" based on something no one could refute... IE the almighty "flavor".
Man you're making no sense.  My "Only defense" is that I cannot possibly be the vampire lord.  Ok then.  I would like you to explain to me how a devil can be a vampire.  I don't see what other defence I'm supposed to be giving.

In addition, what happened last night happened.  I didn't "wriggle out" of anything - I was just blocked by a flavour barrier that we (I say we since it was you who suggested I try to obtain the soul of an angel) didn't anticipate.

The rest of your argument is "If you assume Leafsnail is the Vampire Lord and ignore several glaring problems in this theory, it naturally follows that Leafsnail is the Vampire Lord".

Anyway, above all remember how Leafsnail flipped Changer. I don't know about you, but I see Devil as far more a "Survivor" role than a "Changer". The obvious answer is that he's the Vampire Lord, and it's been staring us in the face.
Yeah, someone who goes into people's houses at night and offers to change their roles in return for their souls and who wins if he changes three people's roles is obviously a survivor.  I mean by that logic every player (including the Vampire Lord) wants to survive in order to win so they're survivors.

I'd append this to say that I've been consistently gunning for Cultists through the whole game, and have nabbed more than a bussing's worth. Unless I absolutely adored shooting my team in the foot, me being Cult doesn't make much sense at all.
Unless you were, y'know, converted.

Since cults convert people.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: September 14, 2011, 10:57:03 am »

The Scribe's Tally Sheet
Leafsnail: Solifuge
Toaster: ECrownOfFire, Max White, IronyOwl

Day ends ~5pm Pacific Friday

Meph:  Can non-mortal (angels/devils/demons) parties be converted by a Vampire Lord?  Can they sell their souls to a devil?

Information about 3rd parties is unavailable.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: September 14, 2011, 04:33:06 pm »

Max:  And it "only dawns on you now" that you should accuse me over it?  Why not do it earlier, instead of waiting for a bandwagon to start on me that you could jump on?  You even mentioned it, but didn't make any sort of accusation.  As soon as I get votes, though, you jump right on me.
Well, it dawned on me yesterday that you could be scum when Irony bought it up, but only recently have you taken over the race from Leafsnail.
Especially hearing how lame your reasoning for not protecting me was. I mean if you had something good, then it would still be Leafsnail, but just "*Shrug* I dunno! Maybe I shoulda protected the useful one!" doesn't work for me.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: September 14, 2011, 04:34:42 pm »

Solifuge: Still not sure how you'd prefer my posts organized. I like breaking the relevant sections up.

Oh man... I'll let the Toaster vote keep going for a bit yet, before I point out a handful of critical flaws in that line of reasoning. Forgive me, but it's a great chance to get a peak at the Scum's hand.

I hope you realize that if you hadn't been lynched for blatant scumminess once already, I'd be completely convinced you were a convert by now. Don't worry, I'm still convinced enough.

Do you recall Leaf making a big deal how the thought of an enslaved Devil was just stupid?

You call that "making a big deal?"

You're desperate, scum. Reeeaaallly desperate. Is that because he's the only mislynch you think you can pull off, or something else?

With Town pressuring him and MBP into proving it, the easiest way out was to fabricate new "rules" based on something no one could refute... IE the almighty "flavor".

So, what are you saying here- that Leafsnail and MBP clearly invented new rules wholesale? How would you know? Because real rules/interactions wouldn't have flavor associated with them?

This is scummy and desperate, again. The whole sentence- putting "rules" and "flavor" in quotes, calling flavor "almighty," is a blatant attempt to make the issue look worse than it is. And what is the issue? A believable flavorclaim can't be refuted, therefore you know it to be false. It's a solid conclusion to go along with your other bullshit, like that Devils can clearly be cult'd and show up as Survivors.

Tell me, where did you learn so much about Devils, that just so happens to fly in the face of common sense?

What's this reversal from yesterday, when it was extremely unlikely that Leaf wasn't a Devil?

In regard to waffling on the Devil Deal through D4, I was weighing the merits of trying it and having it actually happen, versus the far preferable situation where it doesn't go through; who the deal is offered to, and how they try to explain it away speaks volumes. I just wanted to be sure we used that gambit to test someone I had reason to suspect, but little way to test... it was just another form of pressure, but one with the added bonus of being a concrete test with obvious results.

As for suspecting him, when scumhunting, we observe, suspect, and lynch, and afterward go back to observing everything in a new light. With Jim not flipping Lord (and thus not having falseclaimed) the body of probable falseclaims diminished, and old information can be seen in a new light. If your votes are stuck in a rut, not adapting to new times, then what you're doing is trying to give the appearance of scumhunting, which is a horse of a different color, dancing to the beat of a different drum entirely.

I'd append this to say that I've been consistently gunning for Cultists through the whole game, and have nabbed more than a bussing's worth. Unless I absolutely adored shooting my team in the foot, me being Cult doesn't make much sense at all.
Oh man, this is so scummy it hurts.

For starters, you completely ignore my question:

Unlikely:
Bdthemag: No prerequisits. Unlikely, since took Devils Deal, and for Redirect instead of Kill (scum discuss these things).
Leafsnail: If somehow converted Devil to Cult, falseclaimed, and deemed it prudent to kill 2+ teammates with win condition.
Yesterday, it was highly unlikely that Leafsnail was a not-Devil, as evidenced by the long, detailed list of conditions required for that to be true. You even mention "somehow" in the "converted a Devil" part, indicating you didn't think that could really happen either. Today, complete opposite: Leafsnail is clearly the Lord, having converted a Devil and... well, evidently and then falseclaimed and killed two of his teammates. Hm.

Then, the answer you do give is an explanation for why you were waffling on the deal, followed by the most generalized inspirational speech you can about how scumhunting is about changing your viewpoints and reacting to new information.

Finally, you mention what an awesome scumhunter you are who's well past the point of bussing. Wait, wasn't "killing 2+ teammates" relevant somewhere recently? Someone said something about that, and I can't remember... well, I'm sure it's not important. It's not like someone would go around claiming a Lord had done that, then turn around and use their doing it as proof of non-cultness or anything.

Toaster:
Irony:  Do you realize your case on me is almost completely associative tells through Solifuge?   I didn't go back to that question because there was nothing to be done with your answer.
Not completely.

For starters, your claim can't be verified- the only two people who've confirmed your block and flipped have been vampires, while the third is looking pretty obvscum. That alone puts you almost as high as Jim was on the Lordlist.

Secondly, I didn't like that question, because it implied there had to be a guard. If there isn't a guaranteed guard each game, why ask it? It should have been pretty obvious that you don't need a real guard when everyone who's been confirming one is scum. If there is, why not point it out? With Jim's non-guardness flip, you'd be cleared. It reeks of an attempt to sow doubt by implying things to me.

I'm pretty sure there was more, but I can't remember/find it. Well, other than a gut feeling, but I don't think you'll be especially impressed with that.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: September 14, 2011, 04:41:56 pm »

Man you're making no sense.  My "Only defense" is that I cannot possibly be the vampire lord.  Ok then.  I would like you to explain to me how a devil can be a vampire.  I don't see what other defence I'm supposed to be giving.
The rest of your argument is "If you assume Leafsnail is the Vampire Lord and ignore several glaring problems in this theory, it naturally follows that Leafsnail is the Vampire Lord".

Tautologistic defense is tautologistic... and you're spinning words so hard here that you must be getting dizzy.

I never said you were both a Vampire Lord and the Devil. You recruited one, falseclaimed as it to preserve yourself, and are now delaying resolving the 3rd Devil's Deal to prevent the real Devil from flipping, to buy you an excuse to freely convert the remaining Townies each night.

I presented a case, and it's not been refuted. Your only defense is a series of weaksauce flavor-based arguments that both can't be tested, and even go against past-game precedent:

there's been one round of Vampires (3), and they were viciously dangerous because they were a cult (in functionality, not name), and also because I was the Vampire Lord and converted Toaster who was a SK on Night 1.

We have a precedent for Vampires to be able to convert 3rd Party Necromancers and Zombies (with unique win-conditions) into the Cult while preserving their abilities, so there's no reason to assume this would be different for Devils. Even your flavor defense has holes.

Also, I'd ask everyone to notice how the Devil went from offering the full spectrum of abilities to Kills. If the Devil truely just wanted to win and vamoose, why not offer more choices; they're more likely to find a player to accept when they have more options... but if the Devil were converted to Scum, they could push Kills (specifically to their cult-buddies) to whittle down Town.

Yeah, someone who goes into people's houses at night and offers to change their roles in return for their souls and who wins if he changes three people's roles is obviously a survivor.  I mean by that logic every player (including the Vampire Lord) wants to survive in order to win so they're survivors.

The Devil doesn't "change" roles; the Devil is a 3rd party arsonist-style survivor. The offer doesn't do a thing to the player's alignment or role; they're just a 1-shot gift in exchange for possible death. Vampire Lords, however, do permanently change a player to Scum. Leafsnail came up "Changer", not "Survivor".

Also, the bolded statement is both irrelevant and asinine, and you know it. It's useless talk; once again you try to support yourself with a bunch of wet-cardboard arguments.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: September 14, 2011, 04:44:24 pm »

BTW, what ever happened to Leafsnail, Irony, and so on finding ECrownOfFire to be ObvScum? Did scum just decide to stop trying to bus a dear comrade?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: September 14, 2011, 04:58:12 pm »

Also, I'd ask everyone to notice how the Devil went from offering the full spectrum of abilities to Kills. If the Devil truely just wanted to win and vamoose, why not offer more choices; they're more likely to find a player to accept when they have more options... but if the Devil were converted to Scum, they could push Kills (specifically to their cult-buddies) to whittle down Town.
So... Your saying Leaf was most likely converted?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: September 14, 2011, 04:59:53 pm »

BTW, what ever happened to Leafsnail, Irony, and so on finding ECrownOfFire to be ObvScum? Did scum just decide to stop trying to bus a dear comrade?
Honestly? We're running out of scumslots. Besides which, we know he's not the Lord and he should have been a very low-priority target.

Why does it matter?

there's been one round of Vampires (3), and they were viciously dangerous because they were a cult (in functionality, not name), and also because I was the Vampire Lord and converted Toaster who was a SK on Night 1.

We have a precedent for Vampires to be able to convert 3rd Party Necromancers and Zombies (with unique win-conditions) into the Cult while preserving their abilities, so there's no reason to assume this would be different for Devils. Even your flavor defense has holes.

The Devil doesn't "change" roles; the Devil is a 3rd party arsonist-style survivor. The offer doesn't do a thing to the player's alignment or role; they're just a 1-shot gift in exchange for possible death. Vampire Lords, however, do permanently change a player to Scum. Leafsnail came up "Changer", not "Survivor".
Might be a fair point, but Devil's considerably stranger than SK, and the game might have changed since then. What's the necromancer's wincon?

The Devil started offering kills because all of our plans revolved around murdering people in an effort to take out large chunks of the game at once. It's ridiculously scummy and stupid to say that the Devil isn't offering inspects the user won't live long enough to tell anyone about because he's clearly scum.

Your interpretation of the Devil is flat-out retarded. The Devil is not a survivor because he doesn't win by surviving- he wins by making three deals that grants people a one-shot (changing them), which culminates in him and all three of them vanishing (also arguably changing them). Yes, he has to live long enough to pull that off, but that's true of everything that isn't on a team or explicitly tasked with dying. In fact, if he does survive until the end of the game, he loses. SK is far more of a survivor than the Devil is, because at least if the SK makes it to the end, he wins by assumption of killing everyone left.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: September 14, 2011, 05:23:43 pm »

Previously I was pretending to be a townie and thus coming up with fake suspicions.

Now that everyone knows I'm not a townie there's no point in pretending so I've stopped having fake suspicions and have instead focused on making sure there's a deal and arguing against idiotic allegations.

I never said you were both a Vampire Lord and the Devil. You recruited one, falseclaimed as it to preserve yourself, and are now delaying resolving the 3rd Devil's Deal to prevent the real Devil from flipping, to buy you an excuse to freely convert the remaining Townies each night.
Which brings me back to "obvious flaws": how can a devil be a vampire, what happens to his win condition and the souls he's taken after he becomes a vampire, etc.

I presented a case, and it's not been refuted. Your only defense is a series of weaksauce flavor-based arguments that both can't be tested
What other defense am I meant to present, exactly?  I have told you the flavour I've got.  I've pointed out the impossibility of a vampire-devil.  I don't know what else you're expecting.

, and even go against past-game precedent:
Necromancer = human.  A human with blood that can be drunk.
Devil = not a human.  A not human without blood that can be drunk.

Also, I'd ask everyone to notice how the Devil went from offering the full spectrum of abilities to Kills. If the Devil truely just wanted to win and vamoose, why not offer more choices; they're more likely to find a player to accept when they have more options...
...What?  I've offered the full range of possible abilities every night except last night (since, y'know, we'd explicitly planned that MBP would accept a kill, so I didn't see any point in offering him anything else).  BD, Josh and CoF all got a free choice (and chose Redirect, nothing and Kill respectively).

but if the Devil were converted to Scum, they could push Kills (specifically to their cult-buddies) to whittle down Town.
This makes an unbelievably small amount of sense.  What you're saying is that the devil stopped offering a free choice (I didn't) so that... my cult buddies, who are apparently too stupid to be able to pick a kill out of a list, could instead simply answer "Yes I want the only option you are offering"... because apparently "I will accept the kill" is too damn mentally taxing for them.

The offer doesn't do a thing to the player's alignment or role
1-shot gift
Aside from your self contradictory statement, how am I a "survivor"?  I win when I change three people's roles, not when I survive for X nights.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #834 on: September 14, 2011, 06:37:26 pm »

This is getting a bit interesting.

Solifuge, you're being dumb. As mentioned before, a Devil loses if he survives to the end. You might as well apply survivor to everyone anyway.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: September 14, 2011, 08:52:51 pm »

Toaster I believe Azure is the lord, lurking for so long is pretty suspicious (of course I sometimes do the same thing.)

Solifuge Your reasoning that the Devil is the survivor makes no fucking sense, if he already has a win condition that makes him dissapear why would he have two win conditions? I mean I don't fully trust Leafsnail, but trying to make it seem like he's a survivor is downright stupid.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: September 14, 2011, 09:16:07 pm »

God damn it, can none of you read?!

Solifuge, you're being dumb. As mentioned before, a Devil loses if he survives to the end. You might as well apply survivor to everyone anyway.

My statement is that Leafsnail is falseclaiming! Not that he's a Devil/Vampire Lord hybrid, who is actually a Survivor despite MaxWhite's scan turning up Changer. This is neither a tricky concept to grasp, nor a far leap of logic. It's an assumption supported by what evidence we have so far.

We know for a fact that SOMEONE among us is a Vampire Lord falseclaiming as something else. Supernatural 3 proved that not even 3rd parties with special win-conditions are immune to being inducted into the Cult... their goals change so that they win with the Scum Team. If Leafsnail targeted the Devil, there's nothing preventing him from being able to nab him, and then falseclaim as him.

Solifuge
...Bdthemag, you're going to put a vote on me? Seriously?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: September 14, 2011, 09:18:46 pm »

So who do you propose is the devil?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: September 14, 2011, 09:35:51 pm »

That's about as relevant as whether or not CrownOfFire is scum (still pretty well certain that he is). There are enough loose ends with regard to claims players have made, and who is and is not Scum by now. My first thoughts were that it was MBP, and Leaf and his flavor-claim that the Devil Deal was blocked by his being an Angel was a gambit between them... but that requires that Max was converted as well (MBP showed to Max's Fortune-Telling as a Guardian). It requires more assumptions, which makes it a bit less likely.

Thinking about it now, Bdthemag is quite plausible, as he claimed Knight... which is more than a bit odd in a game where we have non-killing Scum, and no chance to get any unblockable kills (Priest-made Demons and Devil-Deal kills are both unblockable). The role seems to be entirely extraneous. That, coupled with his lack of any recent contribution save for slapping a half-assed vote on me, means he's totally stopped trying to lynch the Vampire Lord, and/or forgotten he was supposed to look like that's what he was doing.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: September 14, 2011, 09:41:55 pm »

Wait hold on, im being stupid. Im too damned tired right now, unvote.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 70