Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 70

Author Topic: Supernatural Mafia 4 - Game Over! Demonic Victory  (Read 278032 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Supernatural Mafia 4 - Supernatural creatures hate Barons
« Reply #120 on: August 02, 2011, 10:32:59 am »

Crown:
While I'm here, I might as well toss a question at you, Toaster. Out of all of the possible town roles, the limited knowledge in that list, and previous experience, which are the most powerful, and which are the least? Particularly, which ones do you feel you could do well at, and which ones less so?

Most powerful:  The wizard (doc) is of course useful, and the Knight can thwart a scum kill as well.

Least powerful:  Sexton.  It gives so little information that it's not very useful.  Priest is dangerous, too, since the res is unpredictable.

Personal best:  I've started attracting NKs, so Knight is a decent choice on that.  I wouldn't mind giving Dreamwalker a try, since it's reasonably unique.

Personal worst:  I'm bad at doc-style roles. 

Solifuge:  Fair enough.  Why not pose a "silly question?"

Dariush:  Right now my suspect list is empty.  Max is pinging me a bit, but it's too early to be sure.

Max:  Your questions were fine this time IMO.  I think your style puts people off (this is a game of suspicion, lying, and distrust, not hugs and friendship) and draws attention.

Panda:  In short, Sup3 had a scum team with a role-keeping recruit instead of a kill.  N1 they recruited me the SK (I kept my kill, so they now had a kill AND recruit) and N2 they recruited the cop who got a vamp result on me that same night.  A cop fakeclaim D2 lead to a mislynch that sealed the deal.

Jake:  Of the previous games here you've read, which was your favorite?  What did you learn from it?

Kilakan:  Do you prefer town or scum?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2011, 10:39:19 am »

The Scribe's Tally Sheet
CrownOfFire: Dariush
Dariush: JoshuaFH
JoshuaFH: Max White
kilakan: Leafsnail
lordnincompoop: Jim Groovester
Max White: Pandarsenic, Toaster
Solifuge: Vector

Day ends ~5pm Pacific Thursday
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #122 on: August 02, 2011, 12:11:41 pm »

Crown, if you were town, whom would you fear more - non-cult scum or SK (if there is one)? Why?
Generally speaking, a SK. A new SK doesn't have to worry about their partner, and a new Mafia-ish player might give away their partner(s) too much. Going off of that, a skilled SK is going to be worse as well, because a Mafia-like team has the possibility of getting newer players. But obviously, a Mafia-like team that's all good players is the worst of all to have, but that's fairly unlikely.

Now then, Pandarsenic. Is there anyone in particular in this game that you feel that everyone should keep an eye on, based on your previous experience with them (or lack thereof)?

Jokerman-EXE

• Bay Watcher
  • JUSTICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 02, 2011, 12:35:33 pm »

Jake, how about your reasons for your vote? Seeing as all I've got from you are a series of random questions and a vote of the same type.

PPE: well, all right. Unvote. Multiple votes aren't needed to put pressure on you to hear your answer, but know that the intent is there. If I don't like your answers, then you've earned the vote.
...Why unvote, exactly?  You regarded him as suspicious and wanted to put pressure on him.  For what reason, other than to avoid drawing attention to yourself by apparently bandwagoning, would you want to unvote?

Uh, because like I said, two votes is completely overkill for that. He had pressure on him already, for the exact same reasons; let's not pretend that if I had left my vote there, you wouldn't be jumping up and down, screaming, "BANDWAGON DURRRRR" because that's exactly what would have happened.

Toaster: You say that your suspect list is empty, but you don't seem to be doing much to fill it. What is your take on the newer players so far? Even if you aren't suspicious of them.

Quote from: Solifuge
Jokerman + Solifuge 4 Ever. // <3 <3 <3
Quote from: Org
Derpa  herp // Derpy derp derp herp derp
Quote from: Toaster
BLARG IM DED

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2011, 12:47:10 pm »

Joker:  Fair question- I'm reading everything and sending out questions to see what turns up.

On newer players:  Not sure who you mean, so I'll take it you mean the three I haven't played with yet.

kilakan:  He's been in a couple of the BMs lately which I confess I haven't read.  Had a rocky start in RL2, where he was scum.   I notice he's taking a hardline stance on the other two on this list, which could indicate he's looking for a mislynch, but there's insufficient data to make a firm commitment.

CrownOfFire:  A bit standoffish for my tastes, but I'll give him a little benefit of the doubt for now.  We'll see if that gets better.

jakeread1:  Is a newbie.  He is trying tactics he does not understand.  Too much newtell interference for any sort of read as of now.

The practical upshot of all that is all three fall into a "no solid read" category.

Why are you worried about what Leafsnail would think of your vote/nonvote?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2011, 01:16:55 pm »

Uh, because like I said, two votes is completely overkill for that. He had pressure on him already, for the exact same reasons; let's not pretend that if I had left my vote there, you wouldn't be jumping up and down, screaming, "BANDWAGON DURRRRR" because that's exactly what would have happened.
So, what exactly would the bad point of "overkill" be?  It's not like you put your vote anywhere else after unvoting.

The point about bandwagoning is telling - it's the only reason you have for unvoting him.  In other words, it was an action taken purely for self-preservation and running counter to who you wanted to pressure.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2011, 01:21:56 pm »

All the same, in the early game I try to go for everything I can so that the day will begin on a good foot.  It was a mistake in some ways and a good move in others.
The rest of your response was fine.  This, though?  This is the kind of evasive, noncomittal bullshit I expect from a politician trying to scrape through a difficult interview.  First sentence vaguely expresses that you want to do good thins, while the second sentence gives an admission that doesn't really admit anything and tries to shield oneself from any accusations of wrongdoing.  This shows a strong streak of self preservation and is scummy.

Fine.  Allow me to elaborate, because the statement was indeed rather foggy.  My early game strategy involves jumping on everything I can with little discrimination, in hopes of finding something actually scummy, starting activity, whatever.  The question on you follows that strategy, which I think is a good idea given other experience.  On the other hand, I missed the fact that it was derailing your scumhunting--I wasn't perceptive enough of certain variables.  I'm not sure how those things (pursuing my scumhunting vs. disrupting someone else's) weigh against each other in an optimization table, so all I can say at the end is:

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2011, 01:41:45 pm »

Umm, I think you messed up your quotes a little there, because I know I didn't vote for myself... I'm going to assume this was what you wanted
Haven't had time to dive the backlogs; the FUKKEN WOOLVES in the RP Supernat were the only Supernat scum I've seen. I'mma have to dive Sup3 to see what these Vampyres which apparently everyone hates are.

Before I sleep: Max White, you followed up Vector's (pretty clearly blind-shot, but that's not the point) accusation of Josh with a vote you've stuck with since.

Why?
I still think Josh is scum. He suddenly jumped and became very defensive when I questioned him.
I would like to tell everyone, I'm actually really nervous. Nervous if only because I actually haven't scumhunted in a very long time, and I worry about my old reputation as a fairly decent player that actually wrote the tutorial on mafia. Now, when I'm not sure what to do, I remember back to my old days of playing with WA, and I think 'what would he do?', and given the early state of the game, that answer was 'shoot off a bullshit question at someone you have some knowledge of, and gauge the reaction'. Of course, she knew better than to let anything show. A nulltell.

Once the game gets further underway, my nerve will wear down, I'm sure. and I'll become less verbose, if that's bothering you. Is it?
Suddenly trying to explain away a nervousness that nobody else had even bought up. I think he was a little paranoid that we could all see he's nervousness and decided to address it before it had come up. He also admitted to planning to lurk until people had started to stand out as being suspects.
Thank you for that enlightening post Max, though really, I was just venting that one bit of me to cool down. Just agitating conversation is enough for me at the moment, I'll piece something more significant together once the game has aged a tad.
So you will just sort of hang around until after the RVS, once some suspects come into light?
Is that what your trying to say? It reads that way to me, but I would hate to misquote you.

Yes, that what I'm trying to say.

So yea, it is still on because unless somebody else trips up, I'm willing to lynch.

Damn it, I should've waited until I'd slept (5 hours but whatever) to post that. Thanks for fixing the formatting.

But yeah, I do feel like your interpretation of Josh's statement is... a stretch. At best.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 02, 2011, 01:43:45 pm »

So quite a few things have happened, firstly though I'd like to address Max's concerns.

Umm, I think you messed up your quotes a little there, because I know I didn't vote for myself... I'm going to assume this was what you wanted
Haven't had time to dive the backlogs; the FUKKEN WOOLVES in the RP Supernat were the only Supernat scum I've seen. I'mma have to dive Sup3 to see what these Vampyres which apparently everyone hates are.

Before I sleep: Max White, you followed up Vector's (pretty clearly blind-shot, but that's not the point) accusation of Josh with a vote you've stuck with since.

Why?
I still think Josh is scum. He suddenly jumped and became very defensive when I questioned him.
I would like to tell everyone, I'm actually really nervous. Nervous if only because I actually haven't scumhunted in a very long time, and I worry about my old reputation as a fairly decent player that actually wrote the tutorial on mafia. Now, when I'm not sure what to do, I remember back to my old days of playing with WA, and I think 'what would he do?', and given the early state of the game, that answer was 'shoot off a bullshit question at someone you have some knowledge of, and gauge the reaction'. Of course, she knew better than to let anything show. A nulltell.

Once the game gets further underway, my nerve will wear down, I'm sure. and I'll become less verbose, if that's bothering you. Is it?
Suddenly trying to explain away a nervousness that nobody else had even bought up. I think he was a little paranoid that we could all see he's nervousness and decided to address it before it had come up. He also admitted to planning to lurk until people had started to stand out as being suspects.
Thank you for that enlightening post Max, though really, I was just venting that one bit of me to cool down. Just agitating conversation is enough for me at the moment, I'll piece something more significant together once the game has aged a tad.
So you will just sort of hang around until after the RVS, once some suspects come into light?
Is that what your trying to say? It reads that way to me, but I would hate to misquote you.

Yes, that what I'm trying to say.

So yea, it is still on because unless somebody else trips up, I'm willing to lynch.

I see that you've invested your time in putting words in my mouth Max. For starters, believe it or not, I was actually trying to be sociable with my first few posts. You know, tell people how I'm feeling and whatnot. Though, it would seem that that was naive of me.

Secondly, I simply have no idea where you got the idea that I was intending on lurking. There was the miscommunication, but I meant that I was going to chill while the RV Stage concluded itself, and then jump in with gusto. It was quite the overreaction on your part.

Now excuse me while I read over the new posts some more.

jakeread1

• Bay Watcher
  • Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I got this.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 02, 2011, 02:13:23 pm »

Well toaster I only have started to read one because I had to do some other things but the one I'm reading is the RP version.
New Character awaits a epic black vs hood black vs straight up black fight!
http://www.youtube.com/user/jakeread1 <----- that there is my youtube channel!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 02, 2011, 02:38:45 pm »

lordnincompoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop, where are yoooooou????????????!!!???
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 02, 2011, 03:53:27 pm »

Well toaster I only have started to read one because I had to do some other things but the one I'm reading is the RP version.

That one is probably a rather poor representation of the series, I suspect.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2011, 06:00:07 pm »

Max:  Your questions were fine this time IMO.  I think your style puts people off (this is a game of suspicion, lying, and distrust, not hugs and friendship) and draws attention.
Well that is a breakthrough! I don’t see why I can’t be all hugs and smiles and still suspect people. But still, now that we have a second opinion.

Leafsnail: Why are my questions worthless?

But yeah, I do feel like your interpretation of Josh's statement is... a stretch. At best.
Well I did ask him about it, giving him a chance to clarify before I decided he was my prime suspect. Both points I asked about, and got bad replies, and at the time when you posted this he still hadn’t come back to address any points.
Hell, I’m not going to unvote somebody just because they haven’t said anything since I voted them.

I see that you've invested your time in putting words in my mouth Max. For starters, believe it or not, I was actually trying to be sociable with my first few posts. You know, tell people how I'm feeling and whatnot. Though, it would seem that that was naive of me.

Secondly, I simply have no idea where you got the idea that I was intending on lurking. There was the miscommunication, but I meant that I was going to chill while the RV Stage concluded itself, and then jump in with gusto. It was quite the overreaction on your part.

Now excuse me while I read over the new posts some more.
Putting words into your mouth? No, not really, I have simply sought to clarify your claims, and you agreed with it all.
To address your first point, why didn’t you say you were just trying to be sociable? I asked you about why you suddenly were trying to explain being nervous, and this is the reply I got this
I could be misinterpreting you, but I don’t see anything in there about just being sociable. You say that you needed to cool down a bit, and that is understandable, if you are highly nervous scum that wants to address something on he’s mind before it comes up.

And to your second point, ‘Just agitating conversation’ is active lurking, is it not? Anyway, the RVS seems to be coming to a close, so does this mean you’re going to stop doing the minimum to look active and start sum hunting?

Jim: Do you have any opinion of Kilakan?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 02, 2011, 06:25:06 pm »

Fine.  Allow me to elaborate, because the statement was indeed rather foggy.  My early game strategy involves jumping on everything I can with little discrimination, in hopes of finding something actually scummy, starting activity, whatever.  The question on you follows that strategy, which I think is a good idea given other experience.  On the other hand, I missed the fact that it was derailing your scumhunting--I wasn't perceptive enough of certain variables.  I'm not sure how those things (pursuing my scumhunting vs. disrupting someone else's) weigh against each other in an optimization table, so all I can say at the end is:

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.
Ok then.

Leafsnail: Why are my questions worthless?
How am I supposed to know?  You're the one asking these useless questions.  I assume you mean "Why do you think my questions are worthless?".

I'm gonna turn this question around, since it's difficult to prove an absence.  Instead, I will ask: What good have any of your questions done so far?  You've thrown out a lot of them, which has created plenty of noise, but no meaningful exchanges with anyone.  Your vote in particular is very poor and not really based on anything (except putting words into someone else's mouth and misinterpreting a sarcastic answer, as far as I can tell).

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2011, 06:33:49 pm »

Jim: Do you have any opinion of Kilakan?

No.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 70