Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 70

Author Topic: Supernatural Mafia 4 - Game Over! Demonic Victory  (Read 278012 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Supernatural Mafia 4 - Supernatural creatures hate Barons
« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2011, 10:33:45 pm »

Glorious activity!  A full (size 50) page of posts before I even open the thread!

If you haven't played any of these before, I'd recommend reading the first Supernaturals (at least 1-3) to get an idea of the potential roles.  The scum teams can range from standard (2) to uniquely flavored (1) to unusually mechaniced (3).

Solifuge:  Having been one, what do you think is the benefit of being a (town) Knight is to the town?

Jim:  What flavor of scum team do you most fear?

Max:  Why do you open RVS with buddying questions?

Crown:  What do you think is the biggest advantage forum mafia has over IRC?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 01, 2011, 10:37:23 pm »

Wait, were the questions buddying, or the statements that went before them? I mean I come here to have fun, so I would rather be nice and sociable to the others playing, even if I am willing to hang their scummy ass, so the opening statements were friendly because I like a friendly game full of backstabbing.
Although if your sure it is the questions your talking about, I don't see it, could you clarify?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 01, 2011, 10:43:37 pm »

Jim:  What flavor of scum team do you most fear?

The Vampyres from Sup 3, if only because we completely and utterly destroyed the town before they knew what hit them.

I wouldn't want a repeat of that.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2011, 10:43:58 pm »

Crown:  What do you think is the biggest advantage forum mafia has over IRC?
Advantages? Hmm... it's a lot easier to think over your posts. You don't really get the sense of urgency that IRC has.

Also, it's easier to look at previous posts and easy to see what other people are referring to when they say "this person is scummy because of X reason from this post" as opposed to "this person is scummy because of X reason from...". You get an actual reference to what people are talking about.

jakeread1

• Bay Watcher
  • Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I got this.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2011, 10:49:58 pm »

Sorry I derped. Been playing to much SS13. I mean scum.
New Character awaits a epic black vs hood black vs straight up black fight!
http://www.youtube.com/user/jakeread1 <----- that there is my youtube channel!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 01, 2011, 10:58:55 pm »

Max:
Wait, were the questions buddying, or the statements that went before them? I mean I come here to have fun, so I would rather be nice and sociable to the others playing, even if I am willing to hang their scummy ass, so the opening statements were friendly because I like a friendly game full of backstabbing.
Although if your sure it is the questions your talking about, I don't see it, could you clarify?

Yes, I meant the statements.  Since you've done it as town, I see it as a null tell.  Mostly I was looking for defensiveness.  I'd say you're lightly defensive- enough to note, but not enough to hang.

Jim:  Yes, that was fun.  Ridiculously powerful, but fun.

Crown:  Fair enough.  Any reason you've only asked two questions in your several posts so far?

Pandar:  What form of Alien Exterminator SK (that we've seen in other Supers) would you least like to face in this game?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2011, 11:07:48 pm »

Crown:  Fair enough.  Any reason you've only asked two questions in your several posts so far?
Just waiting for everybody to show up, I guess. There's still two or three people left. I'd like to see how they do before I really get going.

While I'm here, I might as well toss a question at you, Toaster. Out of all of the possible town roles, the limited knowledge in that list, and previous experience, which are the most powerful, and which are the least? Particularly, which ones do you feel you could do well at, and which ones less so?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2011, 11:36:59 pm »

All right.

If I were scum, probably one of Pandar and Jim.  They're usually my first priorities.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 01, 2011, 11:40:32 pm »

Solifuge.

a. What do you know about this setup, if anything?  Do you have any game-specific tips or tricks to reveal?
Solifuge:  Having been one, what do you think is the benefit of being a (town) Knight is to the town?

Being a Knight makes it very easy to play a bit the game a bit riskier. Of significant value is your ability to "tank" for the town, attracting Scum to you by posing a threat to them; the role is best served in the hands of a skillful player who can make the most of their durability and spearhead the scumhunt. If you have a small confirmed town-role group, you could also use it for a number of gambits; acting as a spokesperson for an investigator, safely taking role-redirections on yourself, etc. You don't need the trust of the town to earn the Scum's enmity though, which makes the ability valuable for early game as well.

As for the role, I was never able to figure out the exact mechanics; I did learn that I was resistant to at least one night-kill by a Demon, which let me know that a Demon had gotten into the game (or as in that case, back into the game via Priest). On that note, I'd advise anyone who notices the activity of a Demon after a Priest raises a player to mention it in-thread. It helps ID the revived player as a threat.

I have yet to browse Supernatural 3 and 4, but intend to before we're too far along. The roles and some rules are obscured by flavor, which leaves a lot open to interpretation. I suspect that, after such a long hiatus, Meph is probably going to be trying a new flavor of Scum this time, since to do otherwise would play rather anticlimactically. Metagaming aside, we shall see!

b. Who would you most prefer to be on a scumteam with you?  Do you enjoy playing scum?

I do enjoy playing scum, because it's easier for me to play off the existing suspicions of others than it is to build my own cases. Though I'm no master, manipulation is one of my fortes.

Anyway, I hate to sit back and watch, but I'm going to for a bit longer. Not even posing a silly question, I'm afraid. =(

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2011, 03:56:25 am »

Dariush: And here we are again. Did you learn anything from roguelike 2?
Yes. When playing with a crowd of newbies don't expect them to make any rational decision.

For some reason, I want Dariush to in here and join us.
Just for the record, at the time of your post it was 4 AM down here.

Toaster, what is your current list of suspects?

Jim, which town role would you most fear as scum?

Solifuge, what is your read on jake? Are you going to go easier on him since he claimed to be a newbie?

Crown, if you were town, whom would you fear more - non-cult scum or SK (if there is one)? Why?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2011, 04:17:15 am »

Jim, which town role would you most fear as scum?

I've come to realize that I'm one of the default go-to targets that people have if they have no better reads. Getting randomly followed while I'm on the kill or inspected would suck, because no matter how well I play as scum, some jackass with a role and nothing better to do could catch me.

I think it was in Paranormal 19 Preboot, where I got tagged with a tracking device or two, and thought, "Fuck, I am never going to be able to do anything cool as scum ever again."
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2011, 05:34:08 am »

Yes, I meant the statements.  Since you've done it as town, I see it as a null tell.  Mostly I was looking for defensiveness.  I'd say you're lightly defensive- enough to note, but not enough to hang.
Just out of interest, do you think if I stopped talking to people casually early game, people would stop calling my questions worthless, or are they really that worthless?

Yes. When playing with a crowd of newbies don't expect them to make any rational decision.
Now this is just crazy speculation, but if I had to guess, I would say that looking for flaws in your own play, rather than blaming everybody else, is a good way to improve your game. But still, I'm interested! If you can't expect anything rational from 'newbies' like Darvi, Think and Webba, how would you handle these sorts of players?

I've come to realize that I'm one of the default go-to targets that people have if they have no better reads. Getting randomly followed while I'm on the kill or inspected would suck, because no matter how well I play as scum, some jackass with a role and nothing better to do could catch me.

I think it was in Paranormal 19 Preboot, where I got tagged with a tracking device or two, and thought, "Fuck, I am never going to be able to do anything cool as scum ever again."
Oh Jim, you must remember, you are Jim Groovester! You always get killed, culted, investigated, blocked and stolen from n1. You wouldn't be as fun were it any other way.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2011, 07:16:07 am »

Pandar: Panda? Pandar? Do you prefer with or without the r? Well, either way, who makes for a better lynch, somebody who seems a little scummy but there is nobody more clearly scum, or the guy that has been lurking all day?
Either/or. Used to prefer Panda but everyone adds the "r" to distinguish me from others. For the real meat of that bit, though, someone lurking all day if there are other lurky people. Even if you miss scum they get forced to participate. Unless the slightly-scummy person is scum. But really, everyone looks slightly scummy over the course of a Mafia game. You just need enough activity that "slightly" progresses to a bit more than that as the scum slip up more.

Max:
Pandar:  What form of Alien Exterminator SK (that we've seen in other Supers) would you least like to face in this game?

Haven't had time to dive the backlogs; the FUKKEN WOOLVES in the RP Supernat were the only Supernat scum I've seen. I'mma have to dive Sup3 to see what these Vampyres which apparently everyone hates are.

Before I sleep: Max White, you followed up Vector's (pretty clearly blind-shot, but that's not the point) accusation of Josh with a vote you've stuck with since.

Why?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2011, 07:38:35 am »

Umm, I think you messed up your quotes a little there, because I know I didn't vote for myself... I'm going to assume this was what you wanted
Haven't had time to dive the backlogs; the FUKKEN WOOLVES in the RP Supernat were the only Supernat scum I've seen. I'mma have to dive Sup3 to see what these Vampyres which apparently everyone hates are.

Before I sleep: Max White, you followed up Vector's (pretty clearly blind-shot, but that's not the point) accusation of Josh with a vote you've stuck with since.

Why?
I still think Josh is scum. He suddenly jumped and became very defensive when I questioned him.
I would like to tell everyone, I'm actually really nervous. Nervous if only because I actually haven't scumhunted in a very long time, and I worry about my old reputation as a fairly decent player that actually wrote the tutorial on mafia. Now, when I'm not sure what to do, I remember back to my old days of playing with WA, and I think 'what would he do?', and given the early state of the game, that answer was 'shoot off a bullshit question at someone you have some knowledge of, and gauge the reaction'. Of course, she knew better than to let anything show. A nulltell.

Once the game gets further underway, my nerve will wear down, I'm sure. and I'll become less verbose, if that's bothering you. Is it?
Suddenly trying to explain away a nervousness that nobody else had even bought up. I think he was a little paranoid that we could all see he's nervousness and decided to address it before it had come up. He also admitted to planning to lurk until people had started to stand out as being suspects.
Thank you for that enlightening post Max, though really, I was just venting that one bit of me to cool down. Just agitating conversation is enough for me at the moment, I'll piece something more significant together once the game has aged a tad.
So you will just sort of hang around until after the RVS, once some suspects come into light?
Is that what your trying to say? It reads that way to me, but I would hate to misquote you.

Yes, that what I'm trying to say.

So yea, it is still on because unless somebody else trips up, I'm willing to lynch.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2011, 08:12:50 am »

All the same, in the early game I try to go for everything I can so that the day will begin on a good foot.  It was a mistake in some ways and a good move in others.
The rest of your response was fine.  This, though?  This is the kind of evasive, noncomittal bullshit I expect from a politician trying to scrape through a difficult interview.  First sentence vaguely expresses that you want to do good thins, while the second sentence gives an admission that doesn't really admit anything and tries to shield oneself from any accusations of wrongdoing.  This shows a strong streak of self preservation and is scummy.

It would depend on who was using the daykill, and what their motives would be.
Let's say the daykiller is town and canvassing for targets.

Jake, how about your reasons for your vote? Seeing as all I've got from you are a series of random questions and a vote of the same type.

PPE: well, all right. Unvote. Multiple votes aren't needed to put pressure on you to hear your answer, but know that the intent is there. If I don't like your answers, then you've earned the vote.
...Why unvote, exactly?  You regarded him as suspicious and wanted to put pressure on him.  For what reason, other than to avoid drawing attention to yourself by apparently bandwagoning, would you want to unvote?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 70