Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Badgers are bullies  (Read 3305 times)

Carpagerphant

• Bay Watcher
  • What happens if I... OH GOD NO!
    • View Profile
Badgers are bullies
« on: July 25, 2011, 03:51:00 pm »

I recently created a new fortress in the hopes of making something truely opulent, and all's going well save for one thing. Badgers. A herd of 8. They keep attacking my dorfs and animals, and they're probably cracking rude jokes behind my back. Now, they're no real threat; my woodcutter sliced the leg off of one and killed it without incurring a scratch, but they've annoyed me now.

My inquiry is two-fold:
1. The crap, badger? I mean really, why u so mean? >:(
2. Give me a FUN thing to do with 'em. I wanted to just kill 'em at first, but they've proven sufficiently annoying and have earned my spite.
And then the Lord said, "Let there be stone, and magma, and creatures, and beasts." And it was so. It was... Dwarfy. And Crispy. Quite crispy.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Badgers are bullies
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 03:54:16 pm »

Perhaps we should mine the rock you've been living under.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 03:57:13 pm »

Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 04:05:54 pm »

I can say that I have never had an issue with overly aggressive badgers, giant or otherwise. Usually when one goes berserk it charges my dwarves and turns tail at the last moment. Honey badgers have been the only ones to actually attack my dwarves, but they don't prove to be much against the power of Stray Dog!

Carpagerphant

• Bay Watcher
  • What happens if I... OH GOD NO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 04:11:45 pm »

3 Badger Sows decided to actually fight back, and each one is now missing its upper body. The others decided it wasn't worth it and high-tailed it far away. And I was aware that they are... problematic... but until now, I've never actually had to deal with any. Caught me by surprise is all.
And then the Lord said, "Let there be stone, and magma, and creatures, and beasts." And it was so. It was... Dwarfy. And Crispy. Quite crispy.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 04:35:02 pm »

I've never been attacked by a badger.  Then again, every time I see badgers on my map, I order them killed, due to the rumors I've heard. 
Supposedly giant badgers are the real nasty ones.  I think the elves brought me a tame one once, it was pretty cool.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 04:45:14 pm »

If you really want them to suffer, lure them into your danger room and seal off it's entrance.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 04:48:32 pm »

I find they are more of a nuasance, i have a small number of cage traps at the front of my fort incase some dragons come to visit and they keep diving into those and then into my disc and spike traps. The ones that get caught in cages are all pregnant. I think i have like 30-40 badgers in my current fort because i cant tame them fast enough to slaughter and i cant pit them properly at any decent rate
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 05:07:45 pm »

I have a fort in the middle of its third year.  There are some 40 deaths, and about half have been to berserking badgers.  Half of those badger deaths were poorly trained military dwarves who got torn to shreds.  Good times...

Edit: I just saw that Honey Badger link.  I'm gonna go looking for it.  I wonder how it compares to Giant Badgers.  If there isn't anything in the raws to make a Giant Honey Badger, I'm going to add it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 05:25:13 pm by Savolainen5 »
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 06:21:54 pm »

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 08:46:21 pm »

How are you going to keep it in there?
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 10:53:35 pm »

I have a fort in the middle of its third year.  There are some 40 deaths, and about half have been to berserking badgers.  Half of those badger deaths were poorly trained military dwarves who got torn to shreds.  Good times...

Edit: I just saw that Honey Badger link.  I'm gonna go looking for it.  I wonder how it compares to Giant Badgers.  If there isn't anything in the raws to make a Giant Honey Badger, I'm going to add it.
Because your fort clearly needs tougher badgers.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 11:00:53 pm »

One cool thing to do with them is to trap them, tame them, breed them, and make leather and bone crafts and various roasts. So do that, see how tall a tower you can build out of badger tallow soap.
 I also like having a couple of honey badgers in the pastures, gives the more valuable stuff a headstart when it's time to run from something.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 11:03:51 pm »

if you want pasture creatures that don't die, go for Rutherers. I sent 3 dwarves out to kill one, and because it ran I assumed it was easy. As soon as I caught it, it killed all 3 instantly. They're badass.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 11:37:19 pm »

I'm fine with my tanks, actually. Big, shelled and slow, I've seen them fend off skeletal buzzards. I just like to have alpacas and sheep around.
Pages: [1] 2