Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: tantrums & magic  (Read 1253 times)

vidyabro

• Bay Watcher
  • GET$MONEY$$$$$$$$$
    • View Profile
tantrums & magic
« on: July 25, 2011, 12:53:55 pm »

now it's been hinted that toady would implement magic, but i cant seem to find anything about it on the development page.

its been suggested using priest with magic to cure tantrums or something which would be awesome. or healing dwarves. or a legendary caster sacrificing his life to close an open hell.

my question: is magic gonna be in anytime soon? im too eager

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 12:59:37 pm by vidyabro »
FRESH=MONEY

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
Re: tantrums & magic
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 01:01:33 pm »

I'm not sure when that will be, but I think it's gonna be quite a while.  Unless you count vampires, werewolfs, etc.  Or Bronze Colossuses. 
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 01:03:31 pm »

Well since its not been listed as one of the things in the current focus of development its going to be a long time. Right now the world economy ( actually having one ) and military campaigns are the focus as well as cities. we MIGHT see some of that starting this year. Coding takes time. Though secrets i guess could end up being linked to magic.

Brackev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 01:21:05 pm »

It's part of a huge stack of things to do.  There is no news of it on the the main page so I'm thinking you shouldn't hold your breath, at least for a long while.
-------

Dinos with hammers, there is no escape.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 01:24:48 pm »

What if dwarves who wield magic start tantrumming? You thought !!Emperor Sankis!! was tough before, but now he can turn you into a three eyed chicken that has deadly blood!
Blargh.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 02:36:20 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Dakk
Is this going to become the framework for a magic system in the future, with every sphere having its own secrets, which can be used for a variety of ways, with its own risks and benefits? Like, using the secret of deformity to alter your own body, gaining extra limbs, giving yourself wings, scales, tails, increasing/decreasing your size, and doing the same to others, or using the secret of strenght and being able to wrestle a bronze colossus to the ground?

It's sort of a baby magic system for a specific purpose. There are giant missing components though that aren't being captured by this system. Hopefully whatever I end up with this time can be grown into something better.

The curses, secrets and other interactions of the upcoming release are basically the beginnings of magic.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 02:43:30 pm »

Toady talked about magic in one of the Dwarf Talks, I forget which but I think it was one of the early ones.

One of the things he said was artifacts would be a big part of it and not necessarily dwarves casting spells and things like that. Necro raising aside perhaps. Artifacts would have all kinds of crazy magical abilities, so maybe that's how it could work with tantrums. Being near or holding a artifact of bliss could stop dwarves from raging and turn them into lovey-dovey elves and crap.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 02:53:37 pm »

Hmm... maybe artifacts related to the Misery sphere would have to be locked away deep underground to keep your dwarves from being upset by them.   8)  Now I'm interested.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Darun009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 02:59:45 pm »

You can be a mage as the mages of Mage The Ascansion
Just go to the raw files and change something
Reality changed and mission acomplished.
;)

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 03:01:14 pm »

Oh yes, it will be fun. You look forward to artifacts now, provided you're confident you have everything a moody dwarf will need, but later you'll be biting your nails wondering if the next artifact will be a piece of armour that can make your dwarf fly or a weapon that has a mind of its own and tries to kill everyone.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 05:34:59 pm »

or a legendary caster sacrificing his life to close an open hell.

YOU! SHALL NOT! PASS!
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

vidyabro

• Bay Watcher
  • GET$MONEY$$$$$$$$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 02:17:46 pm »

wow, sounds cool. ive only listened to 1 df podcast.

at least i will have a use for artifacts that are too good to sell but too useless to keep
FRESH=MONEY

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
  • Topics normally misunderstood. Dabbling worder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 03:12:07 pm »

its been suggested using priest with magic to cure tantrums or something which would be awesome. or healing dwarves. or a legendary caster sacrificing his life to close an open hell.

Closing portals made me think warcraft. :D

Then magical artifacts made me think of:

Urist von nouveau Legendary made the orb of confusion, with the power of confusion! Beware its deadly psychic attacks!

Urist von nouveau Legendary is confused: babbling
"A stupid is, a stupid dies." -Tribes 2

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 04:05:05 pm »

Oh yes, it will be fun. You look forward to artifacts now, provided you're confident you have everything a moody dwarf will need, but later you'll be biting your nails wondering if the next artifact will be a piece of armour that can make your dwarf fly or a weapon that has a mind of its own and tries to kill everyone.

"Sure, that's how it starts - oohs, aahs. But later there's running and screaming."
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
  • Topics normally misunderstood. Dabbling worder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 04:20:54 pm »

"Sure, that's how it starts - oohs, aahs. But later there's running and screaming."

Urist has been quite content lately. She admired own fine door. She dined in a legendary dining room. She lost a child to tragedy. She recently made a friend. She talked to a friend recently. She lost a friend to tragedy recently. She complained about the lack of booze lately. She was accosted by vermin. She complained about the draft. She admired a masterwork artifact. She complained about losing her limbs recently.
"A stupid is, a stupid dies." -Tribes 2

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.
Pages: [1] 2