Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seemingly endless cavern?  (Read 1218 times)

HorribleSquidman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Seemingly endless cavern?
« on: July 25, 2011, 12:19:43 pm »

Hmm...  I was digging for the third cavern today, I dug down for a long time when I finally struck it!  It was massive, as expected, but I had only scratched it's surface I dug staircases down for ages, but I never could reach the bottom!  It was just open space for over 45 levels before I finally gave up...   What the heck is it?  ???  Will there ever be an end?!?!  I've only been playing DF for about a month, I'm unsure what my world gen seed is...  It says I'm on 20, I dug a little deeper and I can see a little water at the bottom.  And, I was never notified about a cave in, no.  The top of it is at z-level 83, the water is at 20!  I'm also playing the latest version of DF.  Dug to the bottom, saw a small amount of land with a nether-cap on it, oddly-shaped third cavern, case closed.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 01:16:12 pm by HorribleSquidman »

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seemingly endless cavern?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 12:31:39 pm »

Could you post screenshots and world gen seed for others to see this?

Mordoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 12:40:02 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Chasm

Look at the Bottomless pit section.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 12:42:14 pm »

Hmm...  I was digging for the third cavern today, I dug down for a long time when I finally struck it!  It was massive, as expected, but I had only scratched it's surface I dug staircases down for ages, but I never could reach the bottom!  It was just open space for over 45 levels before I finally gave up...   What the heck is it?  ???  Will there ever be an end?!?!
wow, that's a big cavern!  was there any cave in right at embark, or perhaps some time later?

how many z's does your little "depth finder" thing on the right of the map window show?
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 12:44:30 pm »

Had this before with cavern layer 1 - it went all the way down to the magma sea with no others inbetween. Sheer sided holes through loads of rock layers - at least 45.
This is a blank sig.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 01:01:13 pm »

I thought bottomless pits didn't happen in current edition?

OMGTANGERINES

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 01:11:56 pm »

Possible you just have three cavern layers connected by an ungodly large amount of passages/deep pits/etc?
We were hoping for a constant fort at some point, having players in different time zones so that the fort never actually stopped running.  Come back overnight and find a giant penis has been constructed.  Glory to the penis gods.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 01:13:51 pm »

I've had individual cavern layers of over 50 z-levels in height that were mostly just REALLY REALLY tall and some ground at the end.
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 01:14:02 pm »

I thought bottomless pits didn't happen in current edition?
note: that is a 40d article.  this is some quirk of worldgen cavern generation.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 01:54:21 pm »

I had 90 z level cavern once. It was hilarious when dorfs began falling from the upper levels to the constructed platform at lowest level. I had to cover much of the lake because of miasma caused by dorf pieces in cavern lake.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 03:41:52 pm »

Occasionally you get these really z-stretched caverns. They do eventually end, but I've seen some that were an insane 120-ish z-lvls. They occur most often near mountains or the sea, though they can happen anywhere. It's just a quirk of the map generator.

Those caverns are actually pretty fun though, build a fort in one of the rock columns going through the cavern. Or build in multiple rock columns and link them with skyway bridges.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 03:44:18 pm by Patchy »

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 05:14:28 pm »

I remember a 65 z-level cavern I had. I abandoned the fort because of all the scrolling I had to do. Hotkeys are the best.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 05:38:14 pm »

I remember a 65 z-level cavern I had. I abandoned the fort because of all the scrolling I had to do. Hotkeys are the best.

So did I. I feel facepalm coming, what hotkeys are you talking about?
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 05:41:18 pm »

Just hit "h", the rest should be self-explanatory. Basically it lets you 'save' certain locations on your map, then later jump to them with a single key press. Convenient if, for example, you have two parts of your fort 50+ z-levels apart you need to swap between frequently.

Quick tutorial: move to the spot on your map you want to save. Hit 'h'. Hit the hotkey you want to save it to (F1 through F8). Hit "z" to tell that hotkey to zoom to this location when you press it later. Optionally hit "n" to name this hotkey so you remember where you assigned it to. After you hit escape and leave this screen, hitting the hotkey you chose - F2 or whatever - will bring you back to that spot. By default F1 is wherever your wagon starts (you can change it of course), the rest are unassigned I believe.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 05:54:07 pm by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 09:39:40 pm »

could this be related to intersecting biomes?  i've heard multiple biomes in an embark can do some strange things sometimes.