Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: My dwarves are being animal lovers (Won't butcher or hunt them)  (Read 3884 times)

Ostrich Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For some reason, my dwarves won't butcher any dead animals. I had some water buffaloes and a yak calf hanging around my fortress and they died of thirst or hunger or something. So I want to make useful stuff out of their bones, meat, etc. and I add the "Butcher an animal" task to the butcher's shop, and then I always get "Dwarf blah cancels Butcher an Animal: Needs butcherable unrotten nearby item" even though there's plenty of corpses littering the nearby refuse pile and they're not rotten. I even tried building a butcher's shop right next to the refuse pile, but nope. I have no idea what could be causing this, a glitch, maybe?

Also, I'm pretty sure starving my animals to make them die is not the best way to get meat and other stuff from them but it seems like the only way right now, because my dwarves also won't hunt. I got a dwarf's labour set to hunt only and he won't do anything. He just sits around in the dining hall all day. Do I need to get him a bow and arrows or something? Because I got a crossbow and also assigned two dogs to him (one of them by accident).

By the way, I'm a new player in the very unlikely case you couldn't tell. So why are my dwarves being animal lovers?

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My dwarves are being animal lovers (Won't butcher or hunt them)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 12:05:31 pm »

It's a known bug. Dwarves will not butcher animals that starved to death. You need to designate them for butchery while they are still alive from your (z) Animals screen.

Make an (i) pasture zone and they will not starve to death next time.

Ostrich Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 12:12:25 pm »

Ah, I see. Thank you very much. Any idea why my dwarf is not hunting?

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 12:15:45 pm »

To answer your hunting question, you need: a crossbow, bolts, and a quiver
The dwarf must have the hunting labor enabled, must be able to access the surface (not prevented from access by a burrow, locked door, drawbridge, etc.) and obviously... there must be wild animals to hunt! :)

Also if you are new to the game I hope you are farming and/or gathering plants in addition to your meat industry. Meat is nice but you can't brew alcohol from it. :)

Ostrich Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 12:25:17 pm »

Hmm... But I have an iron crossbow, as well as bolts and several quivers. My hunter dwarf only has "hunter" labor enabled, has access to the surface and there's about 4 deer and one cow moose waiting to be killed. What's going on?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 12:30:55 pm »

Ah, I see. Thank you very much. Any idea why my dwarf is not hunting?
hunting is a decent way to skill up marksdwarves, but i do not know where it lies on the priority scale.  it is also unreliable, as eventually you'll hunt all the populations of animals to extinction.  it's more noticeable with fishing, but still happens with hunting.  try disabling all other labours besides hunting.  i am not sure, but the hunting may somehow be linked to how much food you have.

a more reliable source of meat is keeping livestock.  if you breach a cavern layer with underground plants, those plants start to grow on all muddied or soil tiles on the map.  you can then keep indoor pastures.

i keep alpacas myself.  they are shearable, milkable, and provide great meat.  they mature in about a year or so (but i think full growth is achieved after two years).
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Ostrich Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 12:50:04 pm »

I'll keep that in mind, but I'm still bothered that my dwarf won't hunt. He has no labour on other than hunting. By the way, to keep livestock, I'd have to add the task "Catch live land animal" from kennels, right? If so, I have another problem. Everytime I add the task, the dwarf seems to get to it and then I get "Dwarf bleblebleh cancels Catch Live Animal: Could not find path". I'm beginning to think I should blame it all on my map and start over.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 01:00:15 pm »

Dwarves will not butcher animals that starved to death.
This isn't the entire story - dwarves will never butcher a dead tame creature, regardless of how they died (could be starvation, injury, or old age). Tame creatures can only be Slaughtered while they are still alive.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 01:06:34 pm »

I'll keep that in mind, but I'm still bothered that my dwarf won't hunt. He has no labour on other than hunting. By the way, to keep livestock, I'd have to add the task "Catch live land animal" from kennels, right? If so, I have another problem. Everytime I add the task, the dwarf seems to get to it and then I get "Dwarf bleblebleh cancels Catch Live Animal: Could not find path". I'm beginning to think I should blame it all on my map and start over.

This suggests there is a problem with your fortress layout and your dwarfs can't find a path to the surface. Double-check the design of your stairs, doors, bridges, etc. to make sure your hunter can access the surface.

Also make sure you (o)rders, (r)efuse, dwarves gather refuse from (o)utside. This will make sure they bring the carcasses to the butchers shop.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 01:10:16 pm »

"catch a live animal" relates to vermin, not large animals.  to tame large animals (anything not vermin) you need to capture it in a cage trap, and then "tame a large animal" from the kennels.

try forbidding all of your food for a short time, and see if your hunter hunts.  i have no evidence, but my experiences lead me to believe if you have more than x food for y dwarves, the hunters wont hunt.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 01:25:27 pm »

try forbidding all of your food for a short time, and see if your hunter hunts.  i have no evidence, but my experiences lead me to believe if you have more than x food for y dwarves, the hunters wont hunt.
I am certain this is not true.  In my experience, a hunter will hunt so long as he has the right equipment (crossbow and crossbow bolts) and can path to a wild animal.  If there aren't any animals to hunt, the hunter will just hang out at the meeting room and do nothing.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 03:40:39 pm »

there's about 4 deer and one cow moose waiting to be killed.
Where are these animals? And does your hunter have bolts in their quiver?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Tov01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 08:56:28 pm »

Have you tried disabling and then re-enabling the hunting labor. I noticed that sometimes my woodcutters won't collect an axe and cut wood until I do this. Maybe this is a similar issue.

Ostrich Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 11:57:48 pm »

Actually, they just disappeared for some reason. Now I only see a fox and a turkey gobbler, but my new hunter should have no problem getting to them. (I just drafted my hunter for my first squad so I decided to give someone else the hunter labour). He's carrying a quiver but for some reason has no crossbow or bolts. He has access to them, I even crafted a new set.

Now I'm beginning to think this game is trolling me. I also have two plots set up to grow plump helmets and prickle berries, but for some reason my farmer doesn't seem to care about them. There's only one plump helmet growing and the prickle berry plot is empty. Yes, I do have seeds (60 prickle berry seeds and 64 plump helmet spawns). As a result, I only have seeds and drinks in my food stores, nothing else.

As I'm typing this, one of my farmers is "hunting for small creature" while he doesn't even have the proper equipment or the hunting labour on. What the heck?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 02:27:02 am »

Actually, they just disappeared for some reason. Now I only see a fox and a turkey gobbler, but my new hunter should have no problem getting to them. (I just drafted my hunter for my first squad so I decided to give someone else the hunter labour). He's carrying a quiver but for some reason has no crossbow or bolts. He has access to them, I even crafted a new set.

Now I'm beginning to think this game is trolling me. I also have two plots set up to grow plump helmets and prickle berries, but for some reason my farmer doesn't seem to care about them. There's only one plump helmet growing and the prickle berry plot is empty. Yes, I do have seeds (60 prickle berry seeds and 64 plump helmet spawns). As a result, I only have seeds and drinks in my food stores, nothing else.

As I'm typing this, one of my farmers is "hunting for small creature" while he doesn't even have the proper equipment or the hunting labour on. What the heck?

he's starving.  he'll eat the vermin that he catches.  that's perhaps why he isnt farming.
Pages: [1] 2 3