Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunting and military weapons.  (Read 849 times)

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
Hunting and military weapons.
« on: July 25, 2011, 08:04:50 am »

A quick two-part question regarding weapons. I brought along a couple copper crossbows, quivers and bolts to my fort to get some early weapons for hunting and basic defense. Well it did not take long until my fort was menaced by a most terrible foe. A small fox. Well I created a squad, set no-uniform and set weapon as personal preference. Put the squad as active and put a kill order on it. My two brave dwarves dropped whatever they were doing and ran out to wrestle the fox. Am I going to have to set preferences to specific weapon to actually get them to use one? It all ended well but what if it had been something more terrifying than a fox hah.

And part two, how do I assign weapons to my hunters? I noticed I had a substantial moose population that I wish to make into some nice food for my dwarves, but I have no wish for my hunters to try to wrestle them.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting and military weapons.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 08:09:27 am »

I assume, if there is a free unforbidden crosbow as well as bolts that are set for use by hunters, your hunter will grab crossbow and bolts and use them as tool for his profession

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 08:10:17 am »

Just have quivers, bolts and crossbows available and hunters will do the rest. For your marksdwarfs set them the archer template. Then specify crossbows in their uniform. Then set up multiple archery ranges. generally 3 x wide and 10 squares long in a row with a channel running the far end for bolts to drop into  behind the archery targets. If set up properly you should get them going there regularly. Unleashing a load of bolts. It doesn't matter if they hit the target. XP is per shot not per hit. A good tactic once your squad is running is to station your marksdwarfs at a certain point to head off their targets and let them fire of their own will when they spot the enemy. Sometimes when you tell dwarfs to shoot via a kill order they'll run off piecemeal and get killed and try club the enemy with their bows instead.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 08:38:25 am »

Ah now I get it, thank you!

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 08:44:53 am »

Ah now I get it, thank you!

Your welcome and good luck. If you want to keep metal bolts for your military specify hunters use only bone bolts in the ammunition section. And specify your militia only use bone/wooden for practice. This should let you save those precious metal bolts to make them count in a fight.

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 02:26:17 pm »

if you choosed to bring a hunter along your settlers he will bring for  free quiver,bolts and crossbow

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 06:23:09 am »

if you choosed to bring a hunter along your settlers he will bring for  free quiver,bolts and crossbow

Only if you put his ambush skill high enough I believe.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 06:43:17 am »

My two brave dwarves dropped whatever they were doing and ran out to wrestle the fox. Am I going to have to set preferences to specific weapon to actually get them to use one? It all ended well but what if it had been something more terrifying than a fox hah.

You probably gave them the order before they could equip themselves?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 08:45:34 pm »

As long as his ambush skill is higher than his other skills, he will have hunting equipment. 1 ambusher and no other skills, or 3 ambusher and 2 of other skills, will both work
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 02:14:37 am »

As long as his ambush skill is higher than his other skills, he will have hunting equipment. 1 ambusher and no other skills, or 3 ambusher and 2 of other skills, will both work

Ah thank you. I wasn't completely sure on that.