Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I want to build a fort/castle, but where & what kind?  (Read 983 times)

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
I want to build a fort/castle, but where & what kind?
« on: July 25, 2011, 05:20:10 am »

I need ideas for that. I got few on my own, as well:

• A wooden fort on top of a hill
  • Harbor-stylish castle next to a lake
    • How do I build supports for the docks?
    • Is it too dangerous on a lake?
  • Dig a big-ass cave, build castle in it?
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I want to build a fort/castle, but where & what kind?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 05:32:56 am »

In a big cave with magma moat. Also some rooms with windows suspended from the ceiling for the nobility. Make them dropable with a lever for if they become unreasonable. If you have alot of a certain type of metal use that in the castle construction.

For dock supports you just need 1 tile directly connecting to something to keep it from collapsing.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 05:56:01 am »

digging a cave would take really long time but t could be nice.

What I meant with the dock supports, is that I'd actually want supporting pillars to reach the bottom of the lake. In real world those are needed.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 06:01:00 am »

I have a castle on the ocean right now, and the way I'm building my supports is waiting until winter, when the ocean freezes for a little over a season.

I've also tried digging giant caverns a la Undergrotto, and though it takes SO LONG, it gives you more stone than you could ever need (churn out those stone crafts/build lotsa crap!) AND it gives you a good sense of satisfaction when you look at this cavern you've built and you see 15 Z-levels of empty space.  At least, that's as much as I've done.  It's nothing compared to Undergrotto, but still!  And then a lake!  Mmmmhmmmm!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 06:07:23 am »

Build it out of soap in a terrifying biome.  Elf fat's quite good for that.  Oh and fill the moat with magma.  That way you'll have the cleanest bunch of bloodthirsty maddwarves ever.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 06:08:30 am »

digging a cave would take really long time but t could be nice.

What I meant with the dock supports, is that I'd actually want supporting pillars to reach the bottom of the lake. In real world those are needed.
I really like the Harbor Fort Idea.

For the Supports:
Well you could drain the Lake (to be honest i have no idea if that works with big lakes), build the Supports and refill it again afterwards. If you choose a embark with lots of rain that should work pretty good. But make sure you have the means to drain the Lake multiple times, otherwise you dont have enough time to build those Supports. Thats the only way i can think of to do it.

As additional Ideas, you should totally make two Entrances to your Fort, one that is safe from Creatures in the Lake (Walls for example) and one that isnt. So if you get unwanted Visitors or Elf Caravans you can watch as they get eaten by Carps and other Fish.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 06:15:32 am »

You could build "Clan Forts". Basically when dorfs get married they get their own little fort, then it expands and creates it's own personal economy as the clan (Family) grows.

Then you could have many little forts encompassing all these idea's.
Although it would take A LOOOOOOOOONG time.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 06:18:00 am »

You could build "Clan Forts". Basically when dorfs get married they get their own little fort, then it expands and creates it's own personal economy as the clan (Family) grows.

You could mod dorfs to born matured

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 06:24:46 am »

You could mod dorfs to born matured
Dwarf Fortress; If you didn't pervert nature in the process, you're BUILDING IT WRONG!

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 07:22:31 am »

I think I'll go with the harbor thing, as a normal hill cliff is too boring and carving a gargantuan cave takes too much time.

Also I likedkalida99's Clan idea. I think I could do the harbor city where everyone resides at first, but upon marriage the married dwarves + bunch of their friends build another "outpost" nearby. This could be controlled via burrows, right?

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 07:35:57 am »

I think I'll go with the harbor thing, as a normal hill cliff is too boring and carving a gargantuan cave takes too much time.

Also I likedkalida99's Clan idea. I think I could do the harbor city where everyone resides at first, but upon marriage the married dwarves + bunch of their friends build another "outpost" nearby. This could be controlled via burrows, right?

Yeah, burrows would be the easiest method.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 07:58:08 am »

I know! Build faux boats that everyone lives on!

THEN MURDER THE BOATS!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 08:11:31 am »

I know! Build faux boats that everyone lives on!

THEN MURDER THE BOATS!

Sorry, I don't do that. Boats have feelings, you know?

Now, for the harbor city, I wanna hear ideas for what kind of city it is. Produces tons of fish?