Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: (SPOILER) Confused by upright adamantine short sword on z-level 6  (Read 6735 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Confused by upright adamantine short sword on z-level 6
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 08:24:13 am »

Oh, and since you already know about the demons, I guess I should warn you about the zombies. They are not too scary now, but their miasma will sicken dwarves and kill your FPS almost as much as releasing the demons will.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 08:46:04 am »

I mean come on, 95% of the forum already know's about the clown circus.
And you're trying to make it 100% solely because of that?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 10:59:25 am »

If someone asks "How shall I farm?" do we tell him "Plant dimple cups!"? If someone asks "What weapons for my military?" we say "Adamantine maces are a good choice!"? etc., etc. Of the many Fun ways we could TROLL this is the only one we're supposed to use.

I'll tell you what: Fuck that. If I had made my first successful fort and some dicks caused me to destroy it by encouraging to take it I'd be seriously pissed. Remember that people might very well treat this sword with good, honest, natural, dwarfy paranoia but if someone barges in with "grab it, there's sun berries and featherwood below it!" they might very well believe it, the same way they usually believe the true and helpful response inside of 30 seconds if they ask a question about booze.

Protecting the non-spoilers (seriously, I knew about hell even before I downloaded my copy of DF) is one thing, intentionally very possibly destroing hours or days of hard work of a newbie has no place, especially in a community that is supposed to be the very best gaming community in the entire fucking world.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 11:01:58 am by Number4 »
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 11:04:19 am »

Christ.

Well, now that this thread is spoiler central, can we at least put a spoiler tag in the title? Pretty please?
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 11:11:34 am »

If someone asks "How shall I farm?" do we tell him "Plant dimple cups!"? If someone asks "What weapons for my military?" we say "Adamantine maces are a good choice!"? etc., etc. Of the many Fun ways we could TROLL this is the only one we're supposed to use.

I'll tell you what: Fuck that. If I had made my first successful fort and some dicks caused me to destroy it by encouraging to take it I'd be seriously pissed. Remember that people might very well treat this sword with good, honest, natural, dwarfy paranoia but if someone barges in with "grab it, there's sun berries and featherwood below it!" they might very well believe it, the same way they usually believe the true and helpful response inside of 30 seconds if they ask a question about booze.

Protecting the non-spoilers (seriously, I knew about hell even before I downloaded my copy of DF) is one thing, intentionally very possibly destroing hours or days of hard work of a newbie has no place, especially in a community that is supposed to be the very best gaming community in the entire fucking world.
Um... what are you pissed about? No one did that or joked about doing that. What bdthemag SHOULD have done was say that something very bad will happen if he goes down there, and he should have a huge military to take it on. Not say exactly what happens. That's not ruining our fun, that's ruining the player's.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 11:23:18 am »

Time to ruin the fun of all the people who want to see your fort die.

Those swords are generally entrances to hell, if you take it it open's up an entrance to hell and an extremely large amount of demons come out. It ruins your FPS and they are hard to kill, SO IGNORE it.

DO NOT TRUST THE OTHER PEOPLE WHO POST AFTER ME!
dude thats ruining his fun, the fun is in learning it yo.

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 11:35:22 am »

The unspoken agreement on the forums is to honestly and thoroughly answer any question anyone asks, except for the specific question that was asked in the topic.

Consider deleting the topic? The existence of an upright sword is in itself a pretty big spoiler in itself, you can play for a long time and not run into one of those without specifically looking for a place that has one.  Plus we already have many other topics regarding this.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 11:56:37 am »

If you really want that sword, and you do, here is what you must do.
Get yourself a squad of ten steel-clad, legendary dwarves. Punch a hole in the lowest level of the cavern and search for a structure made of slade. The walls are all smooth, so you will recognize it immediately. Move your dwarves slowly in; the place is full of undead monsters. Cleanse the place, level by level, until you are certain there are no more undead there. Then, find your upright weapon. On that level, there will be several "glowing floors." Build a constructed floor over every single one of these. Save, make a copy, and then deconstruct the upright weapon. You now have the best weapon you can possibly find; give it to someone you like.

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 03:04:59 pm »

Get yourself a squad of ten steel-clad, legendary dwarves. Punch a hole in the lowest level of the cavern and search for a structure made of slade. The walls are all smooth, so you will recognize it immediately. Move your dwarves slowly in; the place is full of undead monsters. Cleanse the place, level by level, until you are certain there are no more undead there. Then, find your upright weapon. On that level, there will be several "glowing floors." Build a constructed floor over every single one of these. Save, make a copy, and then deconstruct the upright weapon. You now have the best weapon you can possibly find; give it to someone you like.
Undead in paticular tend to be very weak and at the moment will die ridiculously easy from marksdwarves I add. Your key problem really lies in what those undead creatures are...Again, Russian Roulette. You could argue building floors over the glowing tiles is being cheap, but your way of playing is yours I guess. I personally used to make wine biscuits, those were the days...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (SPOILER) Confused by upright adamantine short sword on z-level 6
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2011, 05:48:36 pm »

What happens when you do link a lever to the sword?  Never realized you could before.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2011, 06:09:07 pm »

Or you can just send someone to just get the sword now, and then you can just reclaim next game :D

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2011, 08:39:52 pm »

What happens when you do link a lever to the sword?  Never realized you could before.

I think "activating" the sword just deconstructs it. Probably very useful in case you want your defenses not to include rampant and unnecessary shoe-related death.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2011, 11:48:35 pm »

That would be really handy-- awfully hard to open them up via mining and keep your miner.  (Sure, miners are a dime a dozen, but I feel cheap sacrificing anyone.)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Keltiknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 12:01:06 am »

should'a just said "Bad things happen, have a very powerful military before removing it." rather then blatantly saying that it opens the gate to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.-Corvidae

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 12:06:06 am »

I really see no reason to preserve spoilers other than to screw with noobs. Saying it opens the gate to hell is only marginally "better" than saying bad things happen, anyway. You still ruin the surprise.

On a related note, anyone who hasn't read this yet should.
Pages: 1 [2] 3