Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: (SPOILER) Confused by upright adamantine short sword on z-level 6  (Read 6737 times)

jens03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi. Im fairly new to this game.
Im setting up my first danger room. When I am about to connect the spike traps to the lever I also get the choice to connet it to an upright adamantine short sword way way down on level 6. Have you ever experieced anything like it? And this really something I should not know about, conserning circusses and clowns?  ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 01:17:19 pm by jens03 »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: Confused by upright adamantine short sword on z-level 6
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 04:03:35 am »

Time to ruin the fun of all the people who want to see your fort die.

Those swords are generally entrances to hell, if you take it it open's up an entrance to hell and an extremely large amount of demons come out. It ruins your FPS and they are hard to kill, SO IGNORE it.

DO NOT TRUST THE OTHER PEOPLE WHO POST AFTER ME!
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 04:05:36 am »

Not our fun you're ruining :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

gralcio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 04:07:02 am »

It will (already did) raise your total wealth, which has some consequences.

See for yourself :)

Enjoy!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 04:07:33 am »

BD, that really was a lot of spoilers you just posted... :( Shouldn't you tag them as such?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

jens03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 04:15:32 am »

Time to ruin the fun of all the people who want to see your fort die.

Those swords are generally entrances to hell, if you take it it open's up an entrance to hell and an extremely large amount of demons come out. It ruins your FPS and they are hard to kill, SO IGNORE it.

DO NOT TRUST THE OTHER PEOPLE WHO POST AFTER ME!

LOL. Nice to know. Im glad am im nowhere near the place. Anyway I spead the word the my dorfs that the sword is cursed, CURSED!

Oh wait. I just had to order it connected the the lever. Does it mean that  mecanics now has a standing order to phycically mingle with the sword? Anyway how much is a adamant sword worth?

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 04:21:14 am »

Well, considering the sword is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, you don't really have to worry about it.  Unless you've already FOUND it, which would be strange.  But in any case, there is an order, but if they can't path to the sword then they'll either ignore it or bombard you with Urist McMechanic cancels Link Lever (blah blah): Cannot find path.  In any case, I'm not sure what linking the sword to a lever would do, but I can assure you that even when you find the sword, you'll have a hard time getting to it (spoilers which I won't reveal)!

Also, addy swords are worth a lot.  You can check the wiki!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 04:55:07 am »

I mean come on, 95% of the forum already know's about the clown circus.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 05:02:19 am »

That paticular Addy Sword is worth alot due to quality. It is basically the best sword you will find, bar of course, an artifact adamantine sword (I wouldn't put bets on getting one of those first try.)

Now as for the cons of removing that sword. Picture your fort in flames. That's basically what's going to happen. Chances are, if you didn't know the sheer worth of addy, you have no hope in hell (Scuse the pun.) of surviving the consequences of getting that sword.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 05:34:35 am »

Ah come on why ruin the fun. Did you forget about losing? Losing in this manner is the best kind of losing for a new player getting into the game.
It's sort of like an initation rite you know? Once you've proven that you can survive long enough and dig deep enough to lose the game by fiery massacre you know you can play dwarf fortress.
Why take that away from people :(

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 05:43:24 am »

I like to imagine that the sword is magic. Anyone nearby will hear soft whispers emanating from it. The words are thus: Kill, kill, kill, kill...

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 05:45:59 am »

Ah come on why ruin the fun. Did you forget about losing? Losing in this manner is the best kind of losing for a new player getting into the game.
It's sort of like an initation rite you know? Once you've proven that you can survive long enough and dig deep enough to lose the game by fiery massacre you know you can play dwarf fortress.
Why take that away from people :(

Because there's a difference between blithely stumbling upon it and finding out and people asking seriously about and being mislead.

jens03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 06:18:18 am »

Its nice to know about the sword. One of my friends has adopted one of my dorfs. If he survives so long I let him take the sword as a reward. :-)

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 07:28:10 am »

Since you got already spoiled, I shall tell you that there is safe way of removing the sword  :P If you build floor on top of the glowing tile which normally disappears when you remove the sword, demons can't get in and you have free masterpiece adamantine sword.

jens03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 08:14:20 am »

Hmm. Ok. I think about that.  ???
Pages: [1] 2 3