Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Defence Blueprint, Will This Work  (Read 642 times)

wisnoskij

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Defence Blueprint, Will This Work
« on: July 25, 2011, 12:05:41 am »

This is my defence plan for my currently non existent fortress. I have never got a working military before so this time I am planning out exactly how my defence and military will work. And I was wondering if this seems obviously flawed to anyone who has actually been in a siege situation before?
Note: am trying to use no, first line of defence, traps as it seems to me that the are altogether too powerful against a enemy that seems to have no defence against them.
(1 in-game tile per square)
1. Notes and other indicators that do not represent real in game tiles
2. Stairways
3. Ammo stockpile
4. Walls
5. Fortifications
6. Bridge (all raise)
8. Doors
D. Trade Depot
M. is where the melee warriors train, a large number of war dogs are pastured, and where they ideally mass for expelling invaders. The basic idea is that since they are always reachable from the outside that the invaders will rush towards them and just before they finally reach them (after getting peppered by bolts) a dwarf can pull a lever and open all the doors and no matter how big the invading army is initially the dwarfs will outnumber the currently engaged enemies as much as possible.

T. is the archery tower, with both the main level and the level above that (top right) being shown. The basic idea here is that the ground level will eventually be used for 3 staggered billitsas with the upper level(s) housing the archers with a 1 tile thick passage and the ammo behind a door and some walls to protect them when reloading.

The 20 and the rulers are in reference to the

Sorry about the picture, it is drawn at 1 pixel per in-game tile so it needs to be zoomed/resized but if you DL it and open it in anything (even Windows Photo Viewer) it should be very crisp when you resize(zoom) it to a readable size.

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Defence Blueprint, Will This Work
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 03:50:55 am »

Seems like plenty. Best bet is do it, see what happens, fix what didn't work.

Juggling around bridges is easy as cake as long as the path is long enough. Other than that, not much to say.

I've never had a siege be the fortress ender for me, and I don't put much thought at all into military/defenses. Mind you, I do use 2-5 traps as part of my defenses. Good luck with it!