Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What's the best way to train dwarves?  (Read 4562 times)

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's the best way to train dwarves?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 11:50:30 am »

I'm playing a modded version, and I'm pretty sure my dwarves have military learn rates turned way down. I have about a dozen kills on each of my military, and there's pretty high turnover. Mostly crundles, but the rare cave blob/reacher/giant olm/voracious cave crawler/forgotten beast.

They're not yet above competent, IIRC.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 12:11:40 pm »

This works pretty well for me:

Embark with 1 trained military teacher. This dwarf is the "badger killer" for the first couple of seasons.
When the migrants start to arrive, I recruit the two best fighters into a 3-dwarf squad set to train non-stop with the teacher.
After about a year I split the squad into three, the former students now become teachers of their own squad. Recruit migrants with actual fighting skills.

Within 2-3 years I have 9 outstanding soldiers, this is usually enough. (Military is not my first line of defense, they are for slaying FB's and mopping up wounded goblins that make it through the trap hallway.)

Also I usually have 2-3 hunters patrolling the surface and caves. They are a good first line of defense and can be drafted as an emergency marksdwarf squad if necessary.

The biggest mistake new players make IMHO is recruiting flimsy, clumsy cheesemakers with no fighting skills as their military. Better to recruit one competent fighter than six non-fighters IMHO.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 12:36:55 pm »

here is a thread created recently with good answers -

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=89580.0
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 01:04:28 pm »

Man, dangerroom leave confusing disagreement in the community. Some people apparently purposefully remove shields from their danger room dwarves to train weapons (why?!! dwarves parry as much as they shield block, and in my experience all the skills hit legendary in sequence and quickly in the following order--fighter-shield--weapon--dodger). To those that say only a leather robe will do to keep civilians safe,I have a cemetery that proves otherwise--toes break and get infected, ribs break and pierce hearts, brains get torn, etc, helms gauntlets, boots, shields, low quality spears--still stand by it. Also love the suggestions of A. putting the lever in the danger room (again, why!!?) and putting an artifact admantine spike in there (that one was probably a joke). 

Besides if your dwarves are sparring, you are prob doing everything right ;)
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
  • Topics normally misunderstood. Dabbling worder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 04:50:10 pm »

Man, dangerroom leave confusing disagreement in the community. Some people apparently purposefully remove shields from their danger room dwarves to train weapons (why?!! dwarves parry as much as they shield block, and in my experience all the skills hit legendary in sequence and quickly in the following order--fighter-shield--weapon--dodger). To those that say only a leather robe will do to keep civilians safe,I have a cemetery that proves otherwise--toes break and get infected, ribs break and pierce hearts, brains get torn, etc, helms gauntlets, boots, shields, low quality spears--still stand by it.

Experiences may vary. My adult civvies don't usually die when my carpenter makes the training spears (one recent fatality though, which also may have been from an accidental real spear). And removing the shield got my military to stop blocking with a shield 90% of the time, then armor and weapon skill shot right up.
"A stupid is, a stupid dies." -Tribes 2

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.

AllThingsLive

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn, I'm a sexy bitch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 05:21:57 pm »

Interesting, I guess I know what I've done wrong. My militia commander was the only migrant I got with some military skill, adequate fighting. Nothing else. He's the one that's trained up all my swordsdwarves so far. They have decent fighting now, but still suck with swords, and my axedwarves have not a soul to teach them... Well, I guess I know what to do with those extra embark points nextime, level up a dwarf to be a good teacher/sword or axedwarf/shield user/etc...
If you haven't already, you MUST listen to the Joe Rogan Experience : http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-joe-rogan-experience/id360084272

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 05:25:26 pm »

You may wish to give them their adamantine armor before they go in - it doesn't take long for a dwarf to start getting attached to his or her equipment in a danger room.

If it's training spears, then Iron should do. The most important part is to completely cover them - if that's done, they'll have a few bruises at worst.

dhawk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 06:54:51 pm »

You may wish to give them their adamantine armor before they go in - it doesn't take long for a dwarf to start getting attached to his or her equipment in a danger room.

If it's training spears, then Iron should do. The most important part is to completely cover them - if that's done, they'll have a few bruises at worst.

I'm sure he meant that the dwarves will grow attached to crappy weapons/armor and you will have a hard time to get them to wear steel/addy.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 11:19:08 pm »

I'm sure he meant that the dwarves will grow attached to crappy weapons/armor and you will have a hard time to get them to wear steel/addy.

Exactly.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 [2]