Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Search For The Ultimate Sandbox-Survival Roguelike!  (Read 17886 times)

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Search For The Ultimate Sandbox-Survival Roguelike!
« on: July 24, 2011, 09:06:09 pm »

I like sandbox games, survival games, roguelike games. Which means I love sandbox-survival roguelike games. What game would you recommend me?

Roguelike sandbox survival games I played:

Rogue Survivor(survival against zombies): Awesome game but gets boring when you know everything about the game. It's pretty simple.

Cataclysm(survival against zombies): Very buggy at the moment. Rogue survivor is better at giving the "survival" feeling but this game is much more complicated and I like complicated games. I'm going to play it after it gets improved.

Unreal World(survival against nature): Surviving in a wilderness is really fun. I deleted the game because of lack of anything to do. I'm thinking about starting to play again.

Urban Dead(survival against zombies): A grid-based and browser-based online game. Really gives the "survival" feeling but you can only play it for 50 turns (they are called action points) each day. I left playing because zombies are simply overpowered. They have to spend around 10 action points to stand up when they get killed. Getting killed is not really a problem. If you are playing as a human though when you die you become a zombie. I played some variants of it too. I love how you can choose any building as a safehouse, barricade the building, install radio transreciever, generator etc and defend it.

I recommend these games if you like that kind of games (sandbox-survival-roguelike or whatever it is)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Search For The Ultimate Sandbox-Survival Roguelike!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 09:15:14 pm »

I'm going to assume that the obvious one (for this forum, at least) is implied to be a part of your list.

scout890

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm finding it hard to care about anything anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 12:55:51 am »

You mean Kobold Quest?
nothing

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 11:15:12 am »

Dwarf Fortress is a "survival against nature" too but you don't control one character

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 11:17:48 am »

I'm going to assume that the obvious one (for this forum, at least) is implied to be a part of your list.

You mean minecr

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 02:02:33 pm »

You mean minecr

I see Candlejack has been here.

Anyway, I've heard Expedition is pretty dec

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 06:07:39 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is a "survival against nature" too but you don't control one character

I guess you have not tried adventure mode :P

enigma74

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 07:03:55 pm »

Try Caves of Qud, this forum has a thread on it.  Its in beta still, but the developer regularly updates the thread with his improvements.

- It's definitely a roguelike.
- It's not a true sandbox.  A true sandbox gets boring fast though, like Unreal World.  It has an overarching main questline similar to other rpgs.  The world is randomly generated with fixed dungeons and towns.
- It's not really survival, unfortunately.  It's a post-apocalyptic world where you're required to eat and drink or die.  Clean water is used as currency.  It's not that hard to survive though.

Try Transcendence.  It's a game similar to Escape Velocity Nova, if you've played that.  Essentially space action-rpg shooter.

- It is a roguelike in the sense that the galaxy is semi-randomly generated, with fixed space stations guaranteed to show up.  Like Nethack's minetown, for example.  It is roguelike only in spirit, the fighting is reflex-based.
- It has a little bit of sandbox.  I've played the game for days and have not encountered the main plotline.  I mined asteroids for hours to get money to buy some decent weapons and armor.
- It's not survival.  Unless not getting blown to bits by pirates and hostile aliens counts as survival.

Try Notrium.  A action game where you crash land on a hostile planet, starting as either a human, robot, alien, or psychic.  All starting classes play completely differently.

- It's not a roguelike
- It's sandbox in the sense that you can do whatever you want.  You'll eventually starve or run out of energy of you take too long twiddling your thumbs, though.  There are multiple endings, and different endings for the different classes.  The human might seek to escape the planet, but the alien might create a new nest...
- It's definitely survival.  Survival is what you're trying to do 100% of the time.

Try Space Rangers 2: Reboot.  A mostly turn-based space game where you control one pilot trying to turn the tides of a galactic space war against invading robots.  There are optional text adventures and RTS battles in optional quests for money and equipment.

- Not a roguelike.  Does have an 'Iron Man' option at the beginning of each game, where you are only allowed one save file.  If you die the save file is deleted.
- VERY SANDBOX-LIKE.  You can fuck off and do nothing and watch the galaxy be destroyed piecemeal by robots.  Or you can be a hero and fight the robots tooth and nail.  You can be a trader, a pirate, a scavenger.  You can be thrown in jail (and suffer a difficult text adventure quest).  You can even KILL YOUR OWN ALLIED RANGERS, and receive a dubious 'medal' for it.
- Survival only in the sense that you are fighting for sentient species against hostile AI-robots.  You can die from being blown up in your ship, having robots take over a planet that you've parked your ship in, or in many text adventure quests.

-----------

Thinking more on what you want, I don't think you're looking for a sandbox.  The term you want is open-world.  A sandbox  merely puts you in a world with no objectives and that gets boring fast, as you have found.  What you want is a world that responds and changes when you do things.  Like in Space Rangers 2, if you clear a sector of robots allied forces will come in to defend it, opening up new opportunities.  OTOH, if you lose a sector (easily in the hard+ difficulty levels), you will lose the option to trade, refuel, and quest from those sectors.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 07:12:29 pm by enigma74 »

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 05:46:14 am »

Thanks a lot! I'll try these games. You are right I want an open-world. I just got sick of all "Go 100 levels down the dungeon and retrieve the Amulet of Doom" roguelike games. I'm looking for something more original. Sandbox games gets pretty boring IF the game is really simple (example: Rogue Survivor). That's why I love complex and difficult games (example: Dwarf Fortress). Most complex and difficult games, games which are full of possibilities, are survival games. You get the point.

I guess you have not tried adventure mode :P
Oh I played it but that's a little... extreme sandbox :D I took a look at here and I think I'm gonna play adventure mode non-stop when it gets improved

Anyway, I've heard Expedition is pretty dec
Checked some screenshots. I'll try it. Thanks!

Edit: Awesome games! These will keep me busy for a while :D
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 02:39:54 pm by Leatra »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 10:52:01 pm »

I'd suggest Darklands.  It has sandbox-like play.  You play a band of up to four characters (the same player controls all characters, single-player game) exploring Late Medieval Germany.  You can make and use alchemic potions, call upon saints for help, and use primitive firearms!

Regarding survival, you have two options: Try to make enough money to afford staying in the cities, or try not to die in the bandit and beast infested wilderness.

Admittedly, I'm not doing a good job describing it.  But I did a very brief LP a while ago.

Here is a better description.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 03:47:00 am »

I'd suggest Darklands.  It has sandbox-like play.  You play a band of up to four characters (the same player controls all characters, single-player game) exploring Late Medieval Germany.  You can make and use alchemic potions, call upon saints for help, and use primitive firearms!

Regarding survival, you have two options: Try to make enough money to afford staying in the cities, or try not to die in the bandit and beast infested wilderness.

Admittedly, I'm not doing a good job describing it.  But I did a very brief LP a while ago.

Yep Darklands actually makes you heal over realistic periods of time.  And is freaking awesome.  I just wish it had some smoothing out for the cave and tower bits.

If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 05:15:41 am »

Where can you buy this?

EDIT: Also try cataclysm with my mod.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 05:19:33 am by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 09:53:08 am »

Looks great. Downloading DOSBox right now :D

Where can you buy this?
It's abandonware.
I'm not going to play cataclysm until my save games stops getting corrupted :D

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 09:59:33 am »

Where can you buy this?

And with my mod too :P.

Hehe, derping here, but the game is less buggy with each release. I personally find no crashes, maybe I am just lucky (or is it because I compile it on my own machine?) :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 10:50:26 am »

Where can you buy this?

And with my mod too :P.

Hehe, derping here, but the game is less buggy with each release. I personally find no crashes, maybe I am just lucky (or is it because I compile it on my own machine?) :D.

*off topic*
Game is awesome but with my saves getting corrupted so frequently I can't play it. One time while playing, just at the moment I hit the $ (sleep) key my game crashed. I loaded my save game tried to sleep again and it crashed again. I moved to another building and I didn't experience any crash this time. I got eaten by the zombies when I woke up though. With all these mods I hardly keep myself from playing it again :D
Ah what the hell. I'll download the lastest release and try some mods. Including yours ;)
Let's see how longer I'm going to play this time without deleting the game with frustration :D
*off topic*
Pages: [1] 2