Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So wait, breaching the fun zone....spoilers...  (Read 826 times)

eraiders

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So wait, breaching the fun zone....spoilers...
« on: July 24, 2011, 09:05:15 pm »

Ok, so I've breached hell many times...with this fort I kinda wanted to have some fun so I did some save cheats where I would dig a level down in an adamantine well, save, and dig another level to make sure I would only dig down to the critical level before breaching hell. So far I've found 2 adamantine pillars. I dug down the first one using this method and finally breached hell on the bottom level, there was no open hole on each z-level like on many pillars. Naturally hordes of demons came spewing out. I reloaded and only dug out down to that level, but then I moved on to the other pillar in my giant adamantine farm.

I dug down and eventually, about 4 levels from the open space above hell, I breached an open hole leading down a few levels. This time the hordes of demons didn't come flying up, I waited around and built a floor to block them off just in case. I eventually built a floor on the bottom layer of the hole so I could dig out this pillar completely without worry. I can see the demons floating around below, but my question is why did they not spew from the hole? Can I leave that bottom level of the pillar open without worry of demons coming up? My framerate dropped to about 64 from around 97 with a fort of 122 dwarves immediately, I was about to set up a waterfall in my statue room but now it looks like my fun is about nixed there framerate wise. At what point will the demons attack me if I start to venture down there? Will they wait until I build a staircase on the very bottom level or as soon as I venture below the bottom pillar hole they will swarm?

Thanks, just weird not seeing them attack and I'm wondering if it's a bug.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Re: So wait, breaching the fun zone....spoilers...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 09:11:47 pm »

Ok, so I've breached hell many times...with this fort I kinda wanted to have some fun so I did some save cheats where I would dig a level down in an adamantine well, save, and dig another level to make sure I would only dig down to the critical level before breaching hell. So far I've found 2 adamantine pillars. I dug down the first one using this method and finally breached hell on the bottom level, there was no open hole on each z-level like on many pillars. Naturally hordes of demons came spewing out. I reloaded and only dug out down to that level, but then I moved on to the other pillar in my giant adamantine farm.

I dug down and eventually, about 4 levels from the open space above hell, I breached an open hole leading down a few levels. This time the hordes of demons didn't come flying up, I waited around and built a floor to block them off just in case. I eventually built a floor on the bottom layer of the hole so I could dig out this pillar completely without worry. I can see the demons floating around below, but my question is why did they not spew from the hole? Can I leave that bottom level of the pillar open without worry of demons coming up? My framerate dropped to about 64 from around 97 with a fort of 122 dwarves immediately, I was about to set up a waterfall in my statue room but now it looks like my fun is about nixed there framerate wise. At what point will the demons attack me if I start to venture down there? Will they wait until I build a staircase on the very bottom level or as soon as I venture below the bottom pillar hole they will swarm?

Thanks, just weird not seeing them attack and I'm wondering if it's a bug.

you can have multiple circus entrances on one embark, but clowns will only assault you through one of them

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 09:56:47 pm »

If you don't break through at the one place they're hanging around then they'll just mill around and slowly head for the breach. They will on occasion path to the sealing point, but then they go wandering off again.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 11:06:49 pm »

It seems like there's two groups of demons-- the initial breach bunch, and the wildlife bunch.

The initial breach demons have some funny pathfinding tricks to let them path to your dwarves through things that normally interfere with pathfinding-- to make them really seek out your dwarves and fly over intervening structures.  I think they've got special code that other creatures lack.  But they do act funny-- it's like, once in the tube, they can't fly back down again to make it through a different tube.  It's the flying part that they choke on, I'm pretty sure-- if you could magically make them a walking path to another breached tube, I bet they'd come fast.

The other bunch is the wildlife bunch.  These guys seem to just hang out, maybe move around idly, attack something if it gets close, chase until the prey gets too far away, then go back to idling around.  So these guys can make it up a second breach, but they're not as relentlessly aggressive, and in case there's not nearly as many of them, so they're not as much of a problem.

So, second tube breached, not completely safe, but far safer than the initial breach.

He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.