Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Protect the children!  (Read 884 times)

gthez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Protect the children!
« on: July 24, 2011, 02:05:06 pm »

Hey all, I just found out about this game and I'm still learning. I just had my first encounter with a goblin (this is my second fort, I accidently flooded my first and drowned all seven dorfs  :o). It was a goblin kidnapper, who was spotted by a pet peacock before he got inside my fort (at which time I recieved the "Protect the children! notice). I quickly responded with 3 ad-hoc squadies and he (the gob) left the map. My question is if that resolved the incident...i.e. will he return? Are there more than 1? It's still pretty early in the game as I haven't even gotten past year 2 yet (it's summer in year 2 specifically). Checked the forums on this and its pretty sparce, the wiki was informative but kinda non-specific. Thank you in advance for any info! I will be supporting Bay 12 in the future, looks like another winning indie game. :)

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Protect the children!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 02:10:55 pm »

Yes it resolves THIS incident...
but the next thief or snatcher might already wait to step over your doorsteps ;)

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 02:16:01 pm »

There will be multiple snatches coming at same time, with some even having honor of being "master" thieves, dunno how those are different to normal ones  :P

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 09:42:22 pm »

Yeah they'll be back. In more numbers. The best defense against them is posting animals at your front door or using traps of some sort. Usually they're fast and difficult to fast. Though they'll run away once they've been spotted.
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 10:11:50 pm »

There will be multiple snatches coming at same time, with some even having honor of being "master" thieves, dunno how those are different to normal ones  :P

Master theives are harder to detect, and sometimes even kill and outrun your dwarves.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

TantrumTime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 11:46:21 pm »

Master theives are harder to detect, and sometimes even kill and outrun your dwarves.
They are also trap-immune.
Somewhere along the way this innocent thread about cheese went horribly, horribly wrong.
I'd say it's par for the course. Did you see that crundle thread? That one started out wrong.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 03:40:03 am »

No, no they are not. About half of my caged goblins end up being master thieves.

They're probably just really skilled ambushers, so they'd have to bump up against something instead of being spotted a couple tiles away.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 03:48:21 am »

Yep, only kobold thieves are trap immune

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 05:27:50 am »

Don't forget, all thieves aim for children (not kobolds, they aim for stuff mostly)

Children either meet at the wagon (default), in their bedroom (if you designated any) or in a meeting hall/meeting area so if any of the above are well guarded, the goblins will have lots of fun getting to you!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 05:34:07 am »

Obligatory wiki plug goes here...

http://df.magmawiki.com/
This is a blank sig.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 10:41:14 am »

higher skill levels, perhaps slightly better gear, though i havent paid much attention.  much like the difference in, say, a swordgoblin and an elite swordgoblin.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time