Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Shakespear! [Community Fort]  (Read 6475 times)

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shakespear! [Community Fort]
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2011, 11:34:12 pm »

Well hell, if I end up being a cripple, make me sheriff and disarm me so I don't end up hurting anyone.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2011, 03:27:01 pm »

Sorry people, been busy with university exams recently.  :( New update coming tomorrow.
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2011, 05:11:41 am »

Hey everyone, I've had a nasty pc crash recently which has kept me from doing any progress. Got everything set up again just now. The save is safe, though.  :P Anyone still interested in this story?
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

dimondmine2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2011, 07:38:41 pm »

i am!

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2011, 12:58:39 pm »

interested!
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2011, 01:01:50 pm »

me three
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2011, 05:27:15 pm »

Okay then, let's do it!  :D

~HPL~

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2011, 11:54:19 pm »

I'd like a dwarf. Arzun Loderr, any one of the following(Ordered by preference):

-Mechanic
-Marksdwarf
-Swordsdwarf
-Noble

It doesn't matter which he is, Arzun has a rather large ego, and is always willing to boast about something.

Also, you might want to include some pictures. Makes it a bit more interesting.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2011, 03:36:58 pm »

Shakespear Fortress Chronicles
8th Moonstone, 53
Expedition Leader Ablel Zuntirdishmab

Almost a whole year has passed uneventfully. A surge of migrants flooded the place, our bookkeeper currently counts 91 heads, most of them farmers.

Our Engraver has been acting up recently. He was very well-trained when he migrated to Shakespear, and the work he has done in our noble quarters and room has been exquisite, but I fear it has damaged his mind. He has done some rather worrying engravings of the poor Litast Udilotin, who went mad and died only a year ago. He also changed his name to Titus Andronicus, a name of great importance in some of the ancient legends kept alive by wonder-loving grandmothers. I believe him to be somewhat unhinged. We'll see.

Our military, the Blockaded Lashes, now consists of seven rather untrained dwarves with top-notch equipment. They were quite effective against the giant badgers. I believe that to be a good sign. Talking about the badgers, the captured ones have been tamed and will soon be released out of their cages. It is a shame that we cannot train these excellent fighters for warfare. Drognan still avoids going down to the animal stockpile, while Shade is furiously chiseling in his Mason's Workshop. I think he's going to do evil things to them once they're free. Dangerous people, these mechanics.

The couple in charge of the forges, Cheveux and HBL, have been requesting an enlargement of the heavy industry area. We've added another magma chamber and set up more workshops. Should do the job. Our resource storage area is quickly growing, the magma smelters are melting ores faster than Flandre builds beds. The heat is breath-taking, just as it should be.

We're about to finish working on the new dining hall. A really nice place (apart from some of the more horrible engravings), but lacking in chairs. Shade is doing what he can, but it may take a while. His talents as a mason are needed every day now, and he doesn't have much time to work as a mechanic. He is also rather slow, being unable to walk without a crutch. A dwarf named Arzun is assisting him with building setting up mechanisms nowadays. Arzun is also the fort's leading gem setter. I heard he migrated to our fortress after a rather unpleasant incident involving elves.

One more thing. While Ahra is busy digging deeper into the mountain, our fortress has become increasingly complex. I've asked our engraver to produce a detailed map of it.

----------

So, we're going on with this! Thanks for the interest, I intend to get this fort back off the ground (figuratively speaking :P) again.

Also, you might want to include some pictures. Makes it a bit more interesting.

Yea, will do! :D Next update. Right now we still have a lot of expansion going on in the upper levels.

~HPL~

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2011, 03:40:30 pm »

wait a second...how did i get a crutch!? >.>
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2011, 04:04:09 pm »

wait a second...how did i get a crutch!? >.>

The Giant Badgers?

i hate badgers. i hate all of them...i will butcher them, kill them, magma them to death, burn them reduce them to ashes they must DIE

careful with wounds. if i'm in bed and NOT moving, i might have something evil, better a bad diagnoser than none at all.

Nah, I've let one check you. You're fine. It says you lost your ability to stand, but you're already pretty fast with that crutch again, so I wouldn't worry. Heck, you're running around setting up our well and drawbridge/gate right now. I've seen nobles who were slower. :P

~HPL~

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2011, 06:34:19 pm »

Woah, I'm happy this thread lives again.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2011, 08:09:40 pm »

Arzun Loderr's Log, 8th Moonstone, Year 53:

Well. I've finally arrived at Shakespear. To say that the place is insane wouldn't cover half of it. It would, in fact, be a grotesque understatement.

It turns out that the Head Mechanic of this fort is still recovering from a grievous injury, so I have to do all the trap work myself. Not that I mind, of course. Though, the current workshops are a little...unsatisfactory. I'll have to bring the plans to Ablel, and hopefully soon. I'll also send along my plans for project "Siegebreaker", which I believe could stop even the most powerful goblin army.

Finished with his designs, Arzun closed the book, and headed to the meeting area in search of Ablel.
One whom he immediately located.

"Hey, Ablel. I was wondering if we could build some things, and improve the fort based on my clearly superior designs."
With that, he shoved the book into Ablel's face.

"See, with 'Siegebreaker', you'd be able to chop the goblins to pieces or set them ablaze, leaving only their weapons and armor behind. Or both. Only problem with the plan is the amount of magmaproof materials it requires. Well, you might have trouble getting the magma to the entrance.

Secondly, we need a better mechanics and masonry workshop. This design lets us throw stone into the central pit, and we can just drag it a few feet to the workshop instead of heading out into the mountain to get stone. It'd take a bit of work from the haulers, but it would also increase production efficiency by 100%. As for the empty space...it's a personal preference of mine. The extra space could be used for storing things nearby, you just might be able to add a jeweler's shop in there somewhere."

My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2011, 03:31:02 am »

i had forgotten about the badgers.
damn pesky badgers!
DEATH TO ALL BADGERS!

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2011, 11:46:09 am »

Shakespear Fortress Chronicles
20th Slate 54
Mayor Ablel Zuntirdishmab

The workers are done with the dining hall and we have moved all of our foods and drinks into the large stockpile beneath it. HBL has produced a number of beautiful gold statues, they really fit into the hall's atmosphere.

Ahra has deduced from geological data that there must be an expansive cavern somewhere beneath us. Exploratory mining tunnels have been dug, but we haven't discovered it yet. We all know that caverns are usually rather dangerous because of what lives there. We have been told horror tales of the loathsome abnormalities found in such places, such as the hideous Giant Cave Spiders. But we will be prepared, and the Blockaded Lashes are ready to fight any invader.

Talking about invaders. Some goblin thieves tried to sneak into our fortress recently. Of course, they fell prey to our cage traps and are now imprisoned in Shakespear. We will see how to punish them later. No regular goblin soldiers have been seen yet, but we rarely leave the fortress, and only for short moments. I am considering some plans suggested to me by the new Mechanic, Arzun. Some of his ideas concerning fortress defense are rather good, though risky. His most ambitious plan, a magma-based invader killing device, could be helpful, but there is barely any room for the necessary tunnels around our entrance. I might consider creating a new one. The old emergency entrance from 51 will not be reopened, since it's more of an escape route to be taken in times of need. We have a whole mountain above us, so we might just dig upwards.

A stone crafter created a fascinating sand stone bracelet.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now that the first levels of our necropolis are complete, we can start filling them with coffins. Poor Litast has been stored in the morgue long enough. I do not dare think about how fast they will fill up. We have had only one unnatural death so far, and I would be thankful if it stayed the only one. But I know that it won't be like that. It will be worse.

Talking with the dwarves of Shakespear, I've learned that most seem to be content with their lives. They are proud to live in our ever growing fortress, and some look up to us as role models. It seems that we shall become historical figures in the future. Litast's death has set me thinking. As I recorded in a previous entry, I was contemplating what would happen to us in the case of our demise. Clearly, if one of us seven founders died, he/she should receive a glorious mausoleum to remember the world of his/her good deeds. So we must make sure that seven pompous tombs are built at the heart of our necropolis. I have mandated the excavation of a third catacomb level, where our tombs shall be. ... But it is too early to cloud my mind with such horrible things as death and burial. There is so much time yet to be lived.

Titus Andronicus, the creepy engraver, has created a set of engravings detailing the structure of our fortress. I will append a rough sketch of them to this entry.

----------

So, as you can see from the screenshots above, my fortress building style is mostly vertical. I'm definitely not the best designer, but it works for me. I've added some small comments so you can clearly see what is what (not easy if you aren't used to tilesets, I know).
I've also done a few Overseer renders, if you like that kind of visual input.

I'll try to have more pictures added to the text from now on.

So here's a few questions to you, Shakespears and Shakespearettes!

1) Marksdwarves. I'd love to have them, but I've had some rather discouraging experiences with them in my last fort. I'd appreciate suggestions about how to train and use them properly.

2) Danger room. Should we have one? Right now we're fine, but you never know.

3) Thieves. What shall we do with them? What is the cruelest method of execution that works on goblin thieves?

I'd be thankful for any kind of input!

~HPL~
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7