Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Bad Moon Rising in 3, 2, 1 ...  (Read 4823 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Moon Rising in 3, 2, 1 ...
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011, 04:04:10 pm »

They wont blame it on videogames to any large degree because they will be too busy saying that somebody with a gun in the crowd could have stopped the shooting before it killed so many people. They will do a few blurbs on the game thing and perhaps use it as fuel when they decide to make this an issue again(I use the term they to not refer to FOX, Republicans in general or Conservatives as I sorta hate cateorizations like that, just the people who pull off this foolishness), but the primary focus will be on gun laws because this is sorta the ideal situation put fourth by people who make a big issue over it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2011, 04:17:19 pm »

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/07/24/norwegian-suspect-wanted-european-anti-muslim-crusade/

I can't seem to find any mention of Obama or video games. Its almost as if some folks were treating Fox like the bogeyman. Weird.  ::)

Will a politician use the lunatic's manifesto as an argument in favor of video game regulation? Possibly, though the fact he claimed to use MW2 as a "training simulation" and began playing WoW as a means to divert attention from his activities strongly suggests he had become radicalized long before engaging in such activities and merely used the games as tools.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2011, 04:19:23 pm »

Holy shit, this guy killed 85 people in one spree?
I guess Modern Warfare 2 must be a better game than I thought.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2011, 04:20:56 pm »

I thought it was 92? He also detonated a bomb in Oslo.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 04:24:35 pm »

I thought it was 92? He also detonated a bomb in Oslo.
Yeah, but killing 7 people with a bomb isn't an impressive feat. The gunning down 85 and wounding some 90 others gives much more credit to the quality of modern warfare 2.

Taniec

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to save the day
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2011, 04:25:05 pm »

They will somehow make it seem like it was Obama's fault.

I'll be more than happy to take the blame. Really, I just want an excuse to go on the O'Riely Factor or whatever his show is called and stir up trouble just because.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 04:34:56 pm »

So far I don't see anything on google news about video games being related to this in any way. If you're using Call of Duty as a combat simulator, you're probably an idiot. Gunning down a bunch of people doesn't give credit to the games he played as realistic (Call of Duty isn't), it just means he brought enough ammo and knew how to operate his gun - and that the country he did it in has police without guns...

Also: In the US, the Tea Party has its 'stay out of my first amendment' goals, and any possible demand to make the government do something about this would be very out of character. It was just recently ruled here by the supreme court that the government cannot restrict the sales of violent video games because of the first amendment right to freedom of speech. The Tea Party probably sees that as a victory, since it leaves restriction of video games sales to minors in the hands of the market (where it is being handled perfectly well already) instead of with the government. The Tea Party, of course, is a conservative group and I would expect their view to be represented on Fox News (though I do not watch Fox News, so I have no idea).

In any case, what would you do, require a background check and a 12 day waiting period for all games, movies, tv shows, comic books, viewing the news, and for leaving your home? There's no way to stop deranged individuals from acquiring a game which they, in their deranged mind, think would make a good combat/terrorism simulator.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 05:07:50 pm »

His 'training' is nothing. He shot undefended teens. With enough bullets I could do that and I'm physically disabled (my ARMA 2 training helps, a game derived from an actual army training sim)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 06:35:55 pm »

my ARMA 2 training helps, a game derived from an actual army training sim

But it's not nearly as popular as Call of Duty, and thus not anywhere near as realistic right?

And it wouldn't cause as much of a fuss...

EDIT: On a side note, Call of Duty is that game where none of the enemies have weapons or have a chance to fight back, right?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 06:38:52 pm by OzyTheSage »

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2011, 07:09:40 pm »

EDIT: On a side note, Call of Duty is that game where none of the enemies have weapons or have a chance to fight back, right?
Russian airport mission?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2011, 07:10:52 pm »

Yeah, there's that airport mission where you just kinda waltz in with a machine gun and go wild. There was a huge buzz about it when the game came out or something.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2011, 07:29:23 pm »

Yeah, Call of Duty's realistic, what with the auto-filling clips, Hollywood grenades, wasting ammo because cocking guns is cool, insurgent skirmishes playing out like pitched WW2 battles, etc.
Shoes...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2011, 07:36:58 pm »

There are a bunch of different Call of Duty games, of course.

Modern Warfare 2 has killstreak rewards in multiplayer, for killing a certain number of people in a row without dying: http://www.mw2blog.com/modern-warfare-2-killstreak-rewards/
He must have been terribly disappointed that he didn't magically gain the ability to drop a tactical nuke after killing 25 people.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2011, 07:41:53 pm »

He must have been terribly disappointed that he didn't magically gain the ability to drop a tactical nuke after killing 25 people.

...I didn't even think of this.  Every multiplayer shooter you can play, if you turn on voice chat, your ears will be bombarded with fiery rhetoric about every race, creed, and condition know to man, and how the other player will personally slaughter you and everyone you love in grisly fashion.  Y'know, trash talking.

But if you've ever wondered if even one of those supertweeked Nazi d-bags was actually as crazy in reality as he sounds over XBox Live... Be damned, there is at least one.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2011, 07:46:33 pm »

Russian airport mission?

I completely forgot about that mission. Not sure what they were thinking, that doesn't seem fun at all. *shrug*
Pages: 1 [2] 3