Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25

Author Topic: Ceilingchew - Succession Game - More spots open!  (Read 39975 times)

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
Re: Ceilingchew - Succession Game - More spots open!
« Reply #315 on: November 12, 2011, 10:09:59 am »

Yes yes great update but you left out the most important part.

Have you engraved that wall yet?
This is very important.srsly

We need to engrave all of the stone. All of it.
Right away, once I finish my massive +1000 stone X 170z-levels hauling project. with my 211 dwarf strong fort with 0.5 idlers.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh yeah that guy. Marty the Martyr. I forgot how he got injured be he should be patroling the outer patrol route acting as goblin bait. Also could you check to see if I gave him a tomb. I seem to remember digging out a few tombs for people.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 12, 2011, 10:21:00 am »

Oh,
I was originally planning to create a custom lever just for him to pull since all he does is spam the message box with "cancel task, too injured." Or at least injure him further into a perma-coma so he won't be trying to move stuff with the stubs he calls his hands.

(he's trying to pick up his own clothing or something so turning off all hauling labors doesn't really seem to help. I also can't get him to do any architecture either for some reason.)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 12, 2011, 05:52:33 pm »

Oh yeah, and you'll need to fix up the patrols... At the moment they're just single points, and so dwarves will just go stand there in one spot, dying of thirst. You need to make them into routes. ::)
Also, you haven't had any sieges yet? I had two, right near the start of the year, and wow it was epic.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 12, 2011, 09:43:09 pm »

Early Spring

Even though I was always a noble of great importance, I never really ordered anything (well other than my royal bedroom, opulent throne room, grand dining room, mausoleum, half a dozen chests and trinkets ect...) but today, I've decided to take things into my own hands today and start getting stuff done for the fortress for once. I personally have a thing for secrecy, so for now I'll just call it
codename:Project Pumpstack

Mid Spring

As of now, all 211 dwarves are at work either hauling useless junk around or by making not so useless junk.
Well, all 211 dwarves except for this one guy... (he's the + sign sitting by the dwarf child)

Libash Bunemkib, more commonly known as Marty the Martyr, is apparently the fort cripple with 3 of his 4 limbs stitched up and no longer usable. He just kind of lounges around looking at engravings and occasionally "trying" to pick up his possessions and of course failing with the lack of any fingers. I originally considered ending his miserable life, but after prompting from a guy called Monkeyfacedprickleback (Armok knows why he chose that name), I decided to keep him, useless as he is.

In other news, MfacePback also keeps bugging me about some of the stone not yet engraved.
Looking at the overzealously smoothed and carved ground outside, I could not understand what he was saying, until he pointed out to me this one tiny little corner at the edge of the fort:
Well darned be you prickleback. Now I'll have to send an engraver outside to do useless chiseling rather than, you know, highly useful hauling duties.

Late Spring

Goblin Siege today.

But for some reason I'm not really all that concerned.
I'll just let the gobbos waltz up to the overly trapped fort entrance in their gobliny manners and send the militia to mop up anything else still lingering.
It'll also be a good chance to test out that drowning pit one of the previous overseers built.

edit: I'll get a real update up soon once I finish reading the fort history.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 10:31:57 pm by noodle0117 »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 12, 2011, 11:24:36 pm »

Awww, in my alternate version of the year, the siege was repelled by 3 and a half dwarves... :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 13, 2011, 12:50:52 am »

overly trapped fort entrance

Overly trapped?  Bah!  That's nothing compared to my tomb!
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 13, 2011, 01:46:05 am »

overly trapped fort entrance

Overly trapped?  Bah!  That's nothing compared to my tomb!
But your tomb still lacks an automatic cleaning device to sweep away unneeded corpses.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 13, 2011, 02:02:15 am »

Late Spring

Most of the goblins were either torn apart by the long line of weapon traps or they dodged to their deaths to the pits below.

To clean away their stinky corpses, I've ordered the floodgates to be opened

so that they can all take a good nice bath

*drowning intentional*

A squad of Trolls decided to take a smarter way and gather around the entrance making scary faces to any dwarf trying to get out.

But I've sent one of the elite speardwarves to take care of the situation.

Mid Summer

A most disturbing message popped up today.

"Then order the smelters to smelt more iron holding hematite"

"Well CARP"
(ahem, excuse my language)

In other news, Tun Bootloved tells stories of his pointless and meaningless life to the rest of the dwarves

-----

note: we're completely out of iron and I'm not sure if we can find enough iron ore to fuel our metallurgy needs.
I'm going to have to find some alternatives, somehow.
I heard that nickle is also a nice metal for magma related projects, but the game doesn't allow for nickle corkscrews.
:/

edit: if the number of images I'm putting on causes any loading problems for anyone, just say so. I'm not really a great storywriter so I like to use pictures instead.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 02:20:11 am by noodle0117 »

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 13, 2011, 01:09:40 pm »

Bah!  Who needs iron when we can use adamantine!?!
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 14, 2011, 10:45:56 pm »

Late Summer
To lessen the burden of our iron needs, I've been seeking alternatives to build our pump parts out of.

I've also given the order to melt down any unnecessary iron objects, which judging from the last siege, should be plenty.

Note: I'm feeling kinda sad today (due to playing two seasons but having the game crash and forgetting to save) so I'll just post a few of the actually important things that are happening.
We got an ambush which killed off a dozen or so dwarves, mostly children and useless workers, so no big loss there.
Some human traders also came and I bought a bunch of meat and drink that we were sorely missing out on.
I accidentally collapsed the entire pump stack when I thought it would be a good idea to remove the bottom pump, but at least the materials are still there so it shouldn't be too difficult to build everything back up.

Also, who made all of the bins out of lead?!

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 15, 2011, 12:37:33 am »

thaat wolud be me again... I *think* i made some bins made out of lead but I know I studded a lot of stuff with lead. We had way too much lead, so i had to get rid of it. Man i just ruin everything, imma go mope in the corner for a bit. mope mope mope. i'm a mopémon who ate a mope-mope fruit.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 15, 2011, 02:24:49 am »

@ Monkeyfacedprickleback, that small patch of wall which you wanted me to engrave was already engraved. The only reason it looked off was because there was a splattering of goblin blood on it.
I still dug out the stained parts anyways and re-smoothed/engraved the area.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 15, 2011, 03:21:57 am »

Oh well thank armok for that. Now i can rest easy knowing that aside from areas which we may want to mine out there no surface stone that doesn't cry testament to our greatness.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 17, 2011, 06:56:26 am »

Mid-Autumn

Today was a most tragic day.

Having fended off the previous two goblin assaults of this year on the fort with minimal loss, I took little notice when news came that they were launching a third.
I gave the order for the militia to head out and take care of our green skinned guests so I could put my concentration on more important matters, until I noticed that something was going wrong.

Wondering what all the commotion was about, I stuck my head out from behind the door when *whoosh* an arrow flew right by my cheek.

Goblins

Goblins...

Goblins fighting...

Goblins shooting...

Goblins everywhere.

One brave warrior tries to charge against one of the archer squads, but alas, bravery alone does not always get one far.

In the end, through sheer force of beard and muscle, we manage to drive them off, but there is little celebration.

More than a dozen of us have been gravely injured, and we've lost nearly 20 dwarves from that siege, two of them being legendary engravers.
A sad day it was today.

Notes: sometimes I just HATE goblin archers. They always linger outside of the fort rather than obediently stumbling in to our trap hall. There's also a little opening in our fort which cannot be walked through, but which the goblin archers can fire at.
Also, maintaining all the different burrows is just so tiring, plus some of the dwarves on break still end up wandering outside getting themselves skewered and torn apart.
Work on project pumpstack is going fine, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm nearly out of usable magma safe stone blocks.
Is there any way to directly designate a certain type of stone block to be carved? (like only orthoclase blocks allowed)
Sorry if my updates are a bit lacking in words and description. I haven't really been feeling like writing recently.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:58:01 am by noodle0117 »

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 17, 2011, 07:29:50 am »

Nooooo not the engravers! How will I engrave the first to rock layers without them?
Also did I survive? Or was I one of the lamentable casualties?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25