Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Relationships Between River Start Locations Pre/Post & Erosion?  (Read 774 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Could someone please explain to me (as simply as possible) the relationships between these world generation parameters? Or, more to the point, the effects on the geography as a result of their interactions with each other?

Minimum river start locations (pre-erosion)
Erosion cycle count
Desired river start locations (post-erosion)

As examples, what would happen if I started with 500 minimum pre-erosion, and 0 post-erosion?

What about vice-versa?

What if Erosion Cycles was put to a very small number, and pre/post river parameters were wildly different?

I realise there's nothing really stopping me from investigating these effects myself, and I'll do that if necessary, but I'm not sure how I'd go about experimenting in a way that'd give reliable results, plus I'd probably have to run hundreds of tests... I'm more interested in whether these relationships have already been documented, and if so, I'd gladly welcome any thread links you might be able to offer. :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 08:06:24 pm by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Relationships Between River Start Locations Pre/Post & Erosion?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 10:40:09 am »

There arn't many satisfying answers here, I'm afraid.

Erosion cycle count is simply how much erosion is run. If you run it longer, your hills and mountains and non-flat areas will become more flat. You'll also get more awesome rivers. But you'll loose any cliffs.

River starts are simply that, a minimum number of rivers before erosion and after erosion. Not all aspects of it make logical sense to me; everything else is in the wiki at http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Advanced_world_generation#Minimum.2FDesired_River_Start_Locations.

I'm not sure I agree with it; its not a very specific section, and this is an important aspect of world generation.

Sorry, wish I could be more helpful.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Relationships Between River Start Locations Pre/Post & Erosion?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 12:38:59 pm »

Thanks, that's already helpful. :)

I did test the "500 pre/0 post" rivers example briefly. As far as I could tell, it causes lakes to form at the beginnings of all the rivers. So I guess instead of being fresh running water, the rivers stagnate.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.