Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Your Best Building  (Read 2324 times)

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
Re: Your Best Building
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011, 09:19:01 am »

Regular underground life was getting rather dull so I made my fortress into a dragon.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2011, 09:33:53 am »

There was the unfinished project of Clashworks, which was meant to be a 4x4 iron tunnel that went all over the map.  You can see some of what I got done here:  http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-9693-clashworks

*Opens map*
*Sees wonderful ascii*
*Sees an impressive amount of dead dwarves, pets and goblins*
*Views +iron tunnel+ made of what he assumes is goblinite*

Don't ever change bay12.
how much is "impressive"?
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2011, 11:12:50 am »

His entire refuse stockpile is dead dwarves.
I have yet to make anything worthy of note, but I'm working on a few minor things. A solid silver gate that leads into the caverns, that kind of thing.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2011, 11:26:27 am »

Well, either the detailed, multi-storey housing blocks I built in Slaughterrocks, my old fort, or the rather awesome arena I made in the sucession game Crewtowns. :) It has glass-windowed viewing boxes over the arena floor! May not be too fancy, but I liked it. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 12:40:46 pm »

His entire refuse stockpile is dead dwarves.
I have yet to make anything worthy of note, but I'm working on a few minor things. A solid silver gate that leads into the caverns, that kind of thing.
how big is his refuse stockpile?

i ask because i have covered a fair portion of the surface with the corpses and various parts of my foes.

is 17 years worth of sieges "impressive"?
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2011, 01:13:45 pm »

Aquarium fort!  I found a deep lake that freezes seasonally.  During the winters, rooms were constructed into the side of the lake bed with green glass windows facing the ice.  When thawed, each dwarf's room has a window to the underwater lake.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 04:22:37 pm »

I guess building my first castle-like settlement, complete with two z-levels of fortification, towers, and second floor walkways. Minedhandled is built in to a hill, so building it was more of a chore than expected. The fortification is still incomplete. Goblin hoards are making it harder to finish. 8)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 09:23:31 pm »

Aside a pretty big airship, I made a rather epic dining hall (WaveHandle, 40d), and as of now, I am working on my own version of a Vault-Tec vault. A few parts are inspired by a Wastelands LP (PlumpHelmetPunk's), but I am not playing it in the Wastelands mod. It's more for re-learning the game (been a long time since I last played DF), and also learning 31.25 and onward.

I'm updating my fort's story as you would read a log in Fallout (1-3) and based on time-logged holotapes according to when they were found. Depending on how this place ends, they could have been either recovered from the ruins, or enshrined somewhere being read by a child generations ahead of time, or as a lesson of it's society's origins.

As you'll read from first year onward, it starts off basic and optimistic as a log, and quickly into a disappointment for being fooled into living in a total shithole. It is meant to be read in numerical order. I don't think I'll be making it a succession or community fort though. A bit much work I'll be saving for Bloodaxe later on. I'll just keep updating it in DFMA, and wait for comments if any. If anything, I'm just having fun adding a backstory to the fort as I work on it just to keep me interested.

Relevant Links:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10595-galleygolds (My DF Vault-Tec Fort: Vault-221 (South-East US, somewhere in Atlanta, GA so to say. Provided I got the Vault numbering correct)
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5573-wavehandle (Epic Dining Hall)
http://youtu.be/T0LT4b0v0PM (PHP's Fallout Chronicles II Wastelands DF LP (Fort Mode))
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 09:58:18 pm by Itnetlolor »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 09:38:35 pm »

Knifemurders has a rather impressive water channeling system with a cistern fed from a cavern lake (even got it to feed from under it rather than the side, so it never loses flow intake. The poor sucker volunteer miner even made it to the door before he got hit by the water).  Though i did learn the hard way what happens if you open one of the outflows when a 14x14x2 cistern is full to the brim...  Had to savescum to fix that one.  Took out the whole magma forge level.

Also got a nice magma reservoir up on ground level now inside a mountain.  Gonna use that to help build my next project - making Mt. Knifemurders an errupting volcano.

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2011, 10:09:34 pm »

I carved a small pyramid from a natural arrangement of blue and green stone, dug out the inside, put a coffin inside, attached a door, locked it, and then submerged the whole damn thing. I also had each layer of the pyramid smoothed and the walls of the chamber engraved. There were also some statues.

I imagined it as being a very Atlantean sort of structure. Even though it wasn't as impressive as some of the things I would come to do later, it is still my favorite structure and was my first real "fluff" structure that I ever built. Nothing will be as cool to me, no matter how creative or destructive it might be.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2011, 11:42:04 pm »

I'm not much for megaprojects myself, but one of the first things I made in .31 was a rather clever and elegant booby-trap taking advantage of the fact that most of the fortress was built on one bank of a minor river. I built a stone floor over the river, just wide enough for a wagon, with a pillar at each corner and another floor overhead. A single pressure plate in the centre was linked to all four pillars, and when the river froze in winter I added an array of floodgates and a pump.

The theory was that when an enemy ambush came charging over the bridge, one of them would step on the pressure plate, and the enemy would be sandwiched between two large slabs of rough microcline* blocks before being dumped in the river. The floodgates would then be lowered and the enclosed area pumped dry so that the bodies could be removed and their equipment salvaged. After the first goblin ambush, I added a couple of dodge-me traps to make certain they actually set it off.

* Unlike most players, I actually find microcline's ice-blue colour rather attractive, and quite often go out of my way to mine it out and use it in constructions.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
Pages: 1 [2]