Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your Best Building  (Read 2326 times)

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
Your Best Building
« on: July 23, 2011, 03:04:11 pm »

What have you built that fills your heart with joy and pride?
Mine was an underground fountain that used an aquifier and channels. My dwarfs were heartened at the hours used on that monumental building. At least until goblins invaded and several dwarves drowned in it when they dodged a strike.
Now its just filled with blood. :-\ :-\

Befenismor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your Best Building
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 03:36:20 pm »

So far, nothing. But I plan on building an isengard-ish tower of sorts.
1024: You brag about your golden goblin ejaculator.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 03:38:37 pm »

An adamantine block well with an artifact chain and mechanism and a bewjeweled bucket in a cross shaped room plated with gold and black bronze in a checkerboard pattern.  It's the nicest thing in the clay loam level.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 03:59:15 pm »

My badger pit(s). I've been improving on the design with every fort. As it stands, the thing sort of looks like this:

Code: (level 0) [Select]
O=wall   :=open space   D=door   F=floor   B=bridge   T=weapon trap, each containing 10 spiked wooden balls

O O O O O O O O O O O B B B O O O O O O O O O O O
                    O : T : O
Code: (level -1) [Select]
O O O O O O O O O O
O : : : : : : : : O
O : : : : : : O O O O O
O : : : : : : O B D F F   <--- leads to badger storage, can dump badgers in through here.
O : : : : : : O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Code: (level -2) [Select]
O O O O O O O O O O
O F F F F F F F F O
O F F F F F F F F O
O F F F F F F F F O
O F F F F F F F F O
O F F F F F F F F O
O F F F F F F F F O
O F F F F F F F F O
O F F F F F F F F O
O O O O O O O O O O

There we go. So anyway, I still need to test if dwarves freak out when there's a mass of gobbos and assorted wildlife two z-levels below them, but the plan is that they dodge into the pit, where they have nothing to look forward to except the occasional badger, giant badger, badgerman, or war-version of any of the three to drop in for a visit. It hasn't gone wrong yet, and for added fun I enjoy lining the walls up top with cage traps to discourage nasty little theives.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 04:17:59 pm by elf-fondling human »
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 04:13:40 pm »

It's gotta be my repeating miasma-proof indoor garbage dump. There's a pressure plate linked to some strategic hatch covers designed to keep the miasma in, so rotten things get dumped onto the hatch just in time for it to open. Dwarf moves on, cover closes to keep miasma in.

Super useful. Also a built-in repeater!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 05:05:59 pm »

Giant Adamantine Penis.  Only viewed by a visualizer, I was gifted with an abnormally high amount of bluestuff, and figured "what better use?"

Screenshots have been lost to decay and folder shuffling.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 05:49:16 pm »

my aboveground construction.  it may not be much, but i am damn proud of my 7z obsidian tower w/ powered moat, and my walled in keep.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

magic dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 08:18:12 pm »

The great wall, 8 z-levels tall, 5 blocks wide and encloses the majority of my 3x3 map.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 08:20:51 pm »

A Gondor-esque type thing with 3 different levels of defenses, all armed with ballistae and catapults and about 200 traps in total. In addition it had multiple battle towers, stairways into the mines, and, of course, and arena and giant pitting tower.
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 08:34:01 pm »

I have nothing to boast about right now, but I've had a few "almost"s.

There was the unfinished project of Clashworks, which was meant to be a 4x4 iron tunnel that went all over the map.  You can see some of what I got done here:  http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-9693-clashworks

In my current fort, Goddagger, I'm working on something that will fill me with pride if I ever finish it.  It's a big iron castle, with marble floors.  Right now, I'm still working on the base of it, where there are barracks and siege weapons, and siege operators' quarters.
It will also continue downward, but I haven't decided whether I will continue to build with iron downward, or just use engraved stone walls.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 01:19:22 am »

So far, a story-fort I've got on hold is my pride and joy.  It's got a massive windmill farm, a magma pump stack, a rather nice defensive bunker at the entrance, and the entry hall has statues ensconced behind clear glass panes for display as new visitors enter the fort.  It also has a large pasture and greenhouse that I'm in the process of completely covering with glass.

The whole thing is on hold because the place is able to, on a day to day basis, survive and thrive.  I don't want to waste time playing the game while designing my first megaproject, so I'm currently drawing up plans.  Once they're finished, I'll resume the fort and start working.  I've got a lot of ideas, but they all need to be fleshed out and planned first, lest the whole thing be ruined by invasions or the like.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 01:30:49 am »

My fortress career is pitifully unimpressive. Some things have brought me great joy, though.

The best thing I've built is a birdfall. It was pretty awesome. Turkey hen chained up many, many z-levels above the ground. Nest box near a vertical shaft. Babies are born, they fight, and they knock each other off the tower. There's a lot of gore on the ground below. Research has shown that new-born turkey chicks do not yield usable parts when splattered across your fortress entrance.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 02:51:55 am »

My best one was a partially finished Gold, silver and obsidian giant dwarven Face. It was an 8x8x8 cube with adamantine floodgate eyes and mouths. It could spit magma and cry water, but only from one of the facings due to size limitations on the inside. Someday, I will remake it in a bigger version so it can do it from all four faces.

Unfortunately, the water pumpstack would freeze during the winter, and I ended up having my magma-pump-stack from the magma sea have a preassure accident when a troll destroyed a crucial iron floor hatch, so the whole thing flooded with magma before I was able to finish my drainage pipes. I also suspect that upon firing, it would have caused a massive amount of cave-ins from water and lava colliding in midair and dropping into my plumbing.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 06:44:52 am »

I built a fair amount of one fortress over a river. Like all of the bedrooms and the hospitals and stuff.

Out of SOAP.
I had a really clean hospital.

Sadly, a badger waltzed in, killed a guineafowl, and wgot killed by a dog, leaving a red stain on my nice, clean fortress.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 07:50:55 am »

There was the unfinished project of Clashworks, which was meant to be a 4x4 iron tunnel that went all over the map.  You can see some of what I got done here:  http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-9693-clashworks

*Opens map*
*Sees wonderful ascii*
*Sees an impressive amount of dead dwarves, pets and goblins*
*Views +iron tunnel+ made of what he assumes is goblinite*

Don't ever change bay12.
Pages: [1] 2