Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pro-Elf Dwarfs x.x  (Read 978 times)

rumpy46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pro-Elf Dwarfs x.x
« on: July 23, 2011, 12:59:21 pm »

In every world I've created, my Dorfs refuse to wield metal weapons. Instead, they just slap their enemies to death with wooden training axes and the like.
I tried 'Equip Specific Weapon' to give my military leader one of my copper battle axes and copper shields, but he just goes on using the wooden axe/shield like a goddamn Elf, even when I remove the training axe/shield from his loadout in the military screen.

Suggestions? I desperately need halp with this; it took me THREE SEASONS to kill a SINGLE DEER.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pro-Elf Dwarfs x.x
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 01:19:26 pm »

Giving them a (m)ove order from the (s)quad menu usually pokes them into "Oh, need to get my equipment first" mode.  Once they've geared up, you can cancel the order (or whatever).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

rumpy46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 01:24:27 pm »

Tried it. Didn't work. Dorfs just shuffled off to their post going 'Herp derp' with their stupid wooden equipment.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 01:51:35 pm »

Check (m)(e)(P) to see what items have actually been assigned to each dwarf.  If for some reason that doesn't match what you set (and see when you check) in the uniform screen, then clearly something's wrong, but I'm not sure what you'd need to do about it.

If the metal axe has been assigned but the dwarf's simply not picking it up, then I'm not sure what's wrong.  You're in 0.31.25, right?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 01:54:50 pm »

I never assign training weapons.  My soldiers seem to manage to spar with real metal weapons without injuring each other.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

rumpy46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 02:05:06 pm »

It's been assigned in both screens. Still, goddamn hippy Dorf prefers wooden axe even though he's a High Master Axedwarf.
Yep, using the...I think it's a Guybrush tileset.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 02:57:22 pm »

Make sure he is not a woodcutter.  Disable that labor on anyone in the military.

If that's not it, try removing him from the squad, waiting until he disarms himself, then re-adding him.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 03:20:46 pm »

Go into the equipment screen, select the squads that offend you, and hit {m}.  Doing so should make the text in the upper right say "Exact matches" instead of "Partial matches," which does wonders for obedience.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 03:55:16 pm »

Is it possible that the dwarves have become attached to the weapons? Because then they prefer using them even if they are terrible.
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

rumpy46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 05:28:27 am »

Thanks so much. The squad leader /was/ a woodcutter, and he'll now pick up the battleaxe. The other squad members still won't, though D: I guess I'll leave them to beat down the opponents before the head Dorf comes in to finish them off.

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 08:51:35 am »

just change the default "prefered melee weapons"  for something like  "prefered metal  weapons"