Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fortress Building game for PSP.  (Read 9127 times)

Arehandai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress Building game for PSP.
« on: June 15, 2007, 12:06:00 am »

Let me apologize right away for this thread.  I know it is a bit of a stretch, but I've seen some other "stretches" of threads, so here is mine, hope it isn't too off topic.  I just find the "Other Games" forum to be too dead.  This deserves attention

This is my thread about a fortress-building game for the PSP that draws enough parallels to DF that I am hella stoked for it, and it is only FOUR days away.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Building game for PSP.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 12:40:00 am »

Like Dwarf Fortress?
Sorry, but this game doesn't even come close to the god-like capabilities of DF.
[It isn't a 'fanboi' statement either, it's fairly obvious that Dungeon Maker is a cheap immitation of even basic games, like Dungeon Keeper and Dungeon Seige... And those ones are worth the money they cost.]

In fact, Dwarf Fortress is already capable of doing what Dungeon Maker promises, AND THEN SOME.

Once the next version comes out, it'll be even better then Dungeon Maker, because it'll have vertical levels, realistic liquid physics, and LOTS better 'phat lewt' to get. Build your fort on top of a goblin fort (or wait for a dragon to seige) and presto, you've got a bunch of enemies running around inside!

[The quad-digit HP bar and tripple-digit damage numbers dont exactly inspire confidence in me about this games' qualities, either... Even ADOM and Linleys' Dungeon Crawl keeps your HP at a sane level.]

[ June 15, 2007: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Arehandai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 01:11:00 am »

Yeaaaaaah, like Dwarf Fortress, not as good as Dwarf Fortress.  There is no doubt that the complexity and creative freedom of DF far outstrips this game, but I'm not comparing point for point.  I said the there are enough parallels that it should interest the majority, or at least a good part of the DF community.  These are very different games, but I think they both entertain the same niche.

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 01:45:00 am »

Can we stop gripeing about how DF is better and actually discuss about how promising this game looks?

Arehandai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 02:08:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Heliopios:
<STRONG>Can we stop gripeing about how DF is better and actually discuss about how promising this game looks?</STRONG>

I like that idea.

Apparently, this flew right under everyone's radar.  I happened upon it accidently browsing Gamestop for something else.  I don't know what else XSeed has published, but this looks pretty cool.  I almost skipped over it and said "meh" when I saw the town screen, it looks hand drawn and odd.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 03:49:00 pm »

PC version or bust, as far as I'm concerned.  Aside from the Xbox 360, I'm just not going to be buying any consoles/portables any more.  It does look pretty nifty, certainly worthy of a rental, but we'll have to wait for release to see how it actually feels to play.  Gameplay movies are one thing... actual gameplay is another.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 05:56:00 pm »

quote:
actually discuss about how promising this game looks?
What's there to discuss? Grind to character level 99, build down to dungeon level 20, done everything in one play-through, take the game out of the PSP, and never touch it again. Like i said before, the quad-digit HP bar doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the mechanics of gameplay, and it will likely become old and tired, because there'll probably only be one weapon /armor /spell that's worth using...
Even the gameplay movie demonstrated this as the player cast a spell that did 20 damage to one monster, and then moments later cast another spell that did a huge Area of Effect blast for mid to high tripple-digit numbers.

Now, if they do something interesting like let other people play the dungeon you made on some sort of network, that would be much more interesting, since you could always play something someone else has made. More so if they implement some puzzles /keys and multiple staircases going up and down, for mutli-level puzzles.

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 06:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mechanoid:
<STRONG> What's there to discuss? Grind to character level 99, build down to dungeon level 20, done everything in one play-through, take the game out of the PSP, and never touch it again. Like i said before, the quad-digit HP bar doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the mechanics of gameplay, and it will likely become old and tired, because there'll probably only be one weapon /armor /spell that's worth using...
Even the gameplay movie demonstrated this as the player cast a spell that did 20 damage to one monster, and then moments later cast another spell that did a huge Area of Effect blast for mid to high tripple-digit numbers.

Now, if they do something interesting like let other people play the dungeon you made on some sort of network, that would be much more interesting, since you could always play something someone else has made. More so if they implement some puzzles /keys and multiple staircases going up and down, for mutli-level puzzles.</STRONG>

You're making an idiot of yourself by guessing what a game will be like, and rating it, without even playing it.

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 07:49:00 pm »

Yeah, it seems like DF is infinitely deeper than this game. But that is often the case for console to PC games, and if you leave the DF comparisons aside it doesn't look so bad.

For what it is, it seems like a nice idea. I wouldn't go buy a PSP for it personally though.

And Mechanoid is probably right, but there's nothing really wrong with that. VERY few games can continue to entertain indefinitely, and if it's fun then it's fun.

Arehandai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 07:55:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>:|/ wordswordswordswords :|/</STRONG>

If the game isn't for you, that's fine, we get it.  Stay out of the thread.  Why you seek to notify the internet (twice!) of your displeasure concerning a completely arbitrary numerical representation of a character's health and mana in a game you clearly don't care for is beyond me on about thirty-seven different levels.  If you would like some sort of justification, the Architect's stats appear to be raise through a combination of leveling and the creation and consumption of edibles.  Larger values for health and mana will both make gains more evident and more repeatable than say on a character with a maximum of 100 health or some such.  Besides, massive numbers, whether they be health, mana, levels, xp, gold, etc. are a staple guilty pleasure of gaming and RPG.  There is no rationale, some people just like huge-ass values.  See Disgaea for example.  I can't really believe I had to type all that out, but hey, I guess I had to.  It's got graphics, hack and slash, quests and objectives, portability, unique concept and  other characteristics that people will find interesting.  This game is the lowest-flying game I have ever accidently happened upon; it flew right under everyone's gaming radar.  I just thought I'd share the discovery with some people who might appreciate it.

edit:  If any mods are about and see that this topic garners another counter-productive reply, feel free to close the topic.  The link to the relevant thread at SA has already been posted.  I just want people to know about the game, so I consider the OP mission accomplished.

[ June 15, 2007: Message edited by: Arehandai ]

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 01:01:00 am »

If I had a PSP, I would buy that, hands down.

But I don't have a PSP and I'm flat broke. >_< I'll keep an eye out for it, though... maybe I can find gameplay videos or something.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 04:51:00 am »

Mechanoid: if you read the article, you'd see it mentions the ability to play through other dungeons made by people in wireless range of your PSP.

Keiseth: if you read the article (  ;) ), you'd see a link to a gameplay video.

The game looks like it could be a bit of fun for a while, but I don't have a PSP nor do I plan to get one. So, I don't guess I'll be playing it any time soon.

Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 04:42:00 pm »

Seeing as buying games for a portable that inherently allows playing from a flashcard (don't know how easy that is though) is quite a redoubtable perspective...  I dunno, if I do ever get a PSP, I'll give this title a go.

However, all of you people comparing this game to DF are missing a very important point - you can't carry DF around in your pocket, and you can't play it while you're sitting in a bus. Unless of course you posess one of those ultraportable 7" notebook thingys.
That's one of the reasons I always try to stick AGB_Hack or Elite GBA on my flash-linker when I stuff it with other games - they may not give me the same depth as ADOM, DF, or X3, but I can lug them around freely and play them whenever I please.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 05:09:00 pm »

quote:
You're making an idiot of yourself by guessing what a game will be like, and rating it, without even playing it.
Who's doing the same?
Assuming a game will be shit and waiting for information contrary to that belief is the "Measure twice and cut once" of street-smart gamer. Once you buy the game, it's very rare that the store will allow you to come back 2 days later and have you say "Sorry, but i didn't like this game, can i have my $60 worth of money back now, please?"

quote:
Originally posted by Arehandai:
Besides, massive numbers, whether they be health, mana, levels, xp, gold, etc. are a staple guilty pleasure of gaming and RPG.

[There was a Text-fall trap here, but i found a link to a site that says it better then i can:] http://www.sirlin.net/archive/game-balance-part-1/

[ June 17, 2007: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Arehandai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 11:08:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>

[There was a Text-fall trap here, but i found a link to a site that says it better then i can:] http://www.sirlin.net/archive/game-balance-part-1/

[ June 17, 2007: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]</STRONG>

Officially asking for the thread to be locked, but on the off chance I get Mechanoid before/if that happens:  I'll have to ask you to post the relevant portion of that article because I read most of it and don't have a clue as to how it corelates to your quote of me.

Pages: [1] 2 3