Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My awesome slave empire!  (Read 736 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
My awesome slave empire!
« on: July 23, 2011, 02:20:32 am »

So, what is the end result of ANY empire that wants to do mass production from replenishable resources? TEXTILES!!! I have this coold idea. I will hava huge ass farm that has like 20 dwarves arround the clock planting and milling stuff in mill stones. I want the millstones to be powered by tens of slaves cheese makers dwarf vouluteers. I heard recently that it was possible to use a pump to generate power. Is this true? I really want the whole thing to be dwarf powered.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My awesome slave empire!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 02:29:42 am »

Not a pump, a windmill with a millstone, just like in the olden days--it does the same thing as a quern only dwarves don't have to apply their strength to it.  They still have to load-in grain and take out flour though.  Built the millstone in the square directly underneath the center of the windmill--the millstone will support its weight
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 02:31:26 am »

The thing is, if you use the pump trick (the "Dwarven Reactor"), the entire array will be self-powered.

If you want your dwarves to mill with hard manual labor, use querns. They're un-powered millstones and they require far more effort and time on the part of the dwarf to use them.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 02:44:50 am »

So, what is the end result of ANY empire that wants to do mass production from replenishable resources? TEXTILES!!! I have this coold idea. I will hava huge ass farm that has like 20 dwarves arround the clock planting and milling stuff in mill stones. I want the millstones to be powered by tens of slaves cheese makers dwarf vouluteers. I heard recently that it was possible to use a pump to generate power. Is this true? I really want the whole thing to be dwarf powered.
ah, setting up an operation like mine, eh?

in order to have "dwarf powered millstones", dont cop out and use querns or perpetual free power.  have a series of pumps that dump water into a channel that powers waterwheels.  be extremely wasteful.... one wheel and one pump per millstone.  arm your fortress guard with scourges, for style points, and have them constantly stationed over the key production areas.

bonus points if you make the whole deal like series of long steps, going up a z level every so often.  the end result could be a nice waterfall for your fat nobles, or perhaps the fortress guard barracks, so as to keep them loyal.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 02:47:33 am by RAKninja »
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 03:11:09 am »

The best way to be wasteful would have been to make the dwarves operate the damn mechanicms. I totally wish there was a way to make dwarves operate gear assemblies.