Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Infraarcana: a lovecraftian roguelike  (Read 41025 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Infraarcana: a lovecraftian roguelike
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 11:31:24 am »

Well I have one idea (that no one will use) I guess I'll post it later after I have more energy (probably after lunch, or dinner, or Lunch and Dinner Dinner)

vikingefar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 11:46:43 am »

never say never neonivek!! if its good and tornquist sees it it might end up in the game!

maybe drugs could be used to clear insanity points? but what behaviour should insanity points induce in the @?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 11:48:41 am by vikingefar »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 12:02:21 pm »

Well what I was thinking is a bit too complex and ambitious

It was that perhaps two overlay maps could be used in the game (with creatures and people) and insanity points determine which, and how much so, each get used.

Insane characters face an entirely different world then those of the sane. Rooms that simply don't exist show up with twisted walls, and people disapear replaced with shapeshifters taking human form.

If someone somehow regains sanity in a place that does not exist... they find themselves awakened back in the nearest room they already explored. Yet everything they gained would still exist (though perhaps not in the form they once knew it as).

It is part of the theme that insanity isn't the lack of coherence but in fact an awakening to the truth.

A perfectly sane person would likely see very little (or perhaps even No) creatures or artifacts. Yet insanity lost by, lets say, killing or running for your life could drive you to the faintest of halucinations.

That is why I don't think anyone will use it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 12:23:00 pm by Neonivek »

vikingefar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 12:35:28 pm »

this is a pretty good idea, albeit very complex yes! but good!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2011, 12:38:12 pm »

Ohh and also... some things can only be seen by the sane as well. Very insane characters are completely cut off from humanity.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2011, 04:41:58 pm »

The Sanity meter could be effected by seeing thing's that are extremely odd/scary or something like that. If you see a new monster for the first time you'll gain a small amount of insanity, but once you start seeing more of them it slowly goes back up. Sanity can be restored by being in light, reading, etc. When you start turning insane you'll start seeing thing's that aren't there, and other thing's like that. I also think there should be some bonus to being somewhat insane, like a bonus to spellcasting or something like that.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2011, 06:36:13 pm »

Actually since this is Call of Cthlulhu... you should see things that are there.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 11:36:19 am »

On sanity: I like the way Cataclysm handles the Schizophrenic character trait. Fluff messages pop up that are genuinely creepy, like "YOU SHOULD QUIT THE GAME IMMEDIATELY" or your character's name repeated over and over. There are also unique hallucinated monsters if you go unmedicated for too long, including "Your Mother."

From a more gamey perspective, it'd make sense for insanity to give a bonus to melee combat and a penalty to ranged. Your character gets all frothy-at-the-mouth berserker and such. Plus, if the system includes a "surrounded by monsters" condition for sanity loss, it would help the player get out of sticky situations and simply change the immediate problem from "OH GOD ZOMBIES" to "I'M INSANE."

Törnqvist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 04:19:07 pm »

Aha this topic explains the spike in visitors yesterday.

Some of the posts here gave me a good laugh. :)

Quote from: Bdthemag
Its funny because couldn't you just well, stomp on them to kill them?
I'm thinking of doing a kick command, maybe it should get a bonus vs small creatures. In the meantime just imagine those spiders and rats are too big to simply trample.

Quote from: Neonivek
Well I guess that answers all my questions about the game.

Ohh well... I'll have Lovecraft Roguelike one day.
Yeah this is first and foremost a dungeon crawler. The Lovecraft literature is a source for creatures, mythology, artefacts and other weirdness. It won't be the kind of game where you go around and slowly solve a mystery and explore different scenes et c. What it is, is a game of constant mayhem and fight for survival. :)

Quote from: Taz
This game makes me extremely nervous though. (...) and those goddamn zombies.. Argh
Best compliment ever. :D

Quote from: Taz
I've yet to find anything to heal myself with
You can heal by pressing 'h'. It's listed in the key commands in the manual.

It's getting  late now so I've run out of time to comment on the sanity discussion, but it's always nice to see ideas.

By the way, a new version was released today (July 24th)!
http://infraarcana.wikispaces.com/Downloads

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2011, 01:01:04 am »

Yeah this is first and foremost a dungeon crawler. The Lovecraft literature is a source for creatures, mythology, artefacts and other weirdness. It won't be the kind of game where you go around and slowly solve a mystery and explore different scenes et c. What it is, is a game of constant mayhem and fight for survival.

Ohh no it isn't that. It was the person using "magic" to summon a swarm of bugs... and the character was essentially fine after other then bug stomping.

There is a reason why using magic VERY dangerous in the Lovecraftian world.

Sanity is a cosmic ignorance. Magic awakens you to the truth and thus insanity, as the universe is ultimately maddening (or that by its nature to act in accordance to the truth makes you insane), sets in.

Litterally in Lovecraft, Ignorance is bliss.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 01:05:21 am by Neonivek »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2011, 01:20:28 am »

Actually since this is Call of Cthlulhu... you should see things that are there.
I cannot repeat this sentiment enough. Lovecraft isn't about crazy hallucinations, it's about gaining a grasp on the true cosmic order, only to find out too late that the human mind cannot handle that. To be sane is to be unaware of the truth. The metaphor I like best is that the Lovecraftian Mythos is like a beach full of sand, and a healthy human mind is a glass of water filled to the brim. You can take some of the sand (Knowledge) and put it into the glass (Your Mind) to gain power, but there is no way to do so without displacing some of the water (Sanity), and there is no way in hell you'll ever learn it all without dying. That's the risk you take. The best thing for a Lovecraft character's sanity is to remain blissfully unaware, but this risks them being too weak to survive the trials that face them. Humans aren't ever meant to use magic without a price in Lovecraft.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2011, 01:35:03 am »

I cannot repeat this sentiment enough. Lovecraft isn't about crazy hallucinations, it's about gaining a grasp on the true cosmic order, only to find out too late that the human mind cannot handle that

Confused are you rejecting my statement?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2011, 01:42:54 am »

I cannot repeat this sentiment enough. Lovecraft isn't about crazy hallucinations, it's about gaining a grasp on the true cosmic order, only to find out too late that the human mind cannot handle that

No, he was agreeing with you profusely.  I'm really not sure how you reached that conclusion.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2011, 01:53:18 am »

No, he was agreeing with you profusely.  I'm really not sure how you reached that conclusion.

Since he quoted me. Hense why I had to ask.

The structure is usually reserved for people correcting me. So it confused me. (People don't agree with my profusely very often)

Törnqvist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2011, 10:49:31 am »

Now it has insanity. :)

http://infraarcana.wikispaces.com

Release 6 (August 5, 2011)
New features
*Insanity
*High Score
*New explosive weapon: Molotov Cocktail
*New thrown weapon: Rocks
*Explosions destroy walls and doors (destroyed walls may leave rocks)
*Pressing the wait command gives status "Still" for one turn. This gives slightly better hit chance with firearms and thrown weapons.
*A wait command can also be made with the period (.) key (as well as the '5'-key)
*Menus can be navigated using the movement keys and enter (as well as typing a letter)
*Alternative commands for diagonal movement (PgUp/Home/End/PgDwn -- or -- arrow keys + shift/ctrl)
*New status effect: Fainted
*One new monster
*The tombstone screen has a command to quit the game

Fixes
*The game restarts smoother (doesn't restart the renderer when going to main menu)
*Zombies leave no corpse the second time they are killed
*The pre-set player name is empty instead of "Player"
*While paralysed, the character info did not show damage taken until the player could move (now it updates for each hit)
*Cancellation commands in some places where they were missing
*Rewrote level up-bonus description text
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11