Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Coming to an agreement on HFS (spoilers)  (Read 6059 times)

OniRyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Coming to an agreement on HFS (spoilers)
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2011, 11:02:52 pm »

write as though the demons don't even exist.
What demons? There are only Dancing Clowns in DF  :P

also, "some migrants have arrived!"  and "a caravan has arrived!" =D
Migrants and caravans aren't the dangers causing the game to pause - it's the nobles and diplomats which accompany them.  ::)

Search for the thread "You have found..." it contains spoilers but at least it shows how not to spoil the special surprise inside your box of FUN-O's.
Heck I'd suggest reading it just on the basis of just how much epic is in there! Especially the reclaim story :D
This is the bottom of the post. Reading beyond this point is pointless. Seriously why are you still reading? Am I the last post on this thread or something? Then you should be replying instead of reading this! ....still reading? You were that baby who fell during that cave in weren't you? (sigh) Seriously, stop reading and start replying or move onto the next post. There is NOTHING of interest here... except the secret easter egg of <classified>. Pretty awesome huh? NOW MOVE ON ALREADY!!!

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2011, 11:27:33 pm »

I understand being cagey about HFS, although when you're learning Dwarf Fortress, the wiki is so helpful it's hard to avoid spoilers (willpower-wise). I don't understand "cotton candy" and "clowns." The game itself spoils you there – you'll see references to adamantine and demons if you look in the right places, or if the demonic law-giver of the local goblins comes to play, etc. etc.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2011, 11:38:02 pm »

I understand being cagey about HFS, although when you're learning Dwarf Fortress, the wiki is so helpful it's hard to avoid spoilers (willpower-wise). I don't understand "cotton candy" and "clowns." The game itself spoils you there – you'll see references to adamantine and demons if you look in the right places, or if the demonic law-giver of the local goblins comes to play, etc. etc.

Eh, a demonic law-giver doesn't really PROVE there's a hell right under your feet.  After all, no one assumes that there's a dragon in the caverns just because a big cave seems ideal for a slumbering giant like that, and there isn't always one anyway.

All a demonic law giver proves is that demons exist, but the wheres and hows are still unknown.  The wiki is another matter entirely...I ruined the surprise myself because of an unbearable desire to scroll down and read the secrets.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2011, 05:19:39 am »

Why don't we just write a small phrase before a spoiler tag so everyone can know.

Like !Warning, Spoilers ahead!
Then the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
tag?

Simple solution for the over-curious.

Demons aren't spoiled if you see them in adventure mode.

They ARE spoiled when people just tell what happens when you pull the thingy from the earth.

That just kills the fun in what you will find out by a long shot.  :'(

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2011, 05:36:41 am »

My two cents: the sword is there as a trap. I see no reason for its existence other than causing grievous fun to whomever claims it. It is meant to trick players.

However, newbies should be given a fair warning about the dangers of that level. Nothing too specific - just mentioning that there are zombies and the gate to Hell there should be enough.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2011, 11:07:26 am »

I'd say just mentioning that there are zombies and potentially other dangers is enough. Mentioning Hell is too specific. Plus, if they've ever breached an adamantine tube by accident, they'll probably put two and two together once they realize that the fort is made of slade and guarded by the undead.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2011, 11:33:43 am »

At the very least, warn them that it could get laggy down there and recommend that they back up their save game before giving it a try.

OniRyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2011, 12:00:18 pm »

My two cents: the sword is there as a trap. I see no reason for its existence other than causing grievous fun to whomever claims it. It is meant to trick players.
(semi-big image to placed in spoiler tag to prevent spam)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is the bottom of the post. Reading beyond this point is pointless. Seriously why are you still reading? Am I the last post on this thread or something? Then you should be replying instead of reading this! ....still reading? You were that baby who fell during that cave in weren't you? (sigh) Seriously, stop reading and start replying or move onto the next post. There is NOTHING of interest here... except the secret easter egg of <classified>. Pretty awesome huh? NOW MOVE ON ALREADY!!!

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2011, 02:09:36 pm »

Well, it looks like this conversation was moot, doesn't it?  Took only a couple days for someone to completely ignore convention and spoil the everloving hell out of another sword-finder.

I'm really jealous, honestly.  I still haven't found a demon fortress, and the element of surprise is long gone.  True, it's all my fault (I chose to read the wiki, not blaming anyone there), but I really wish I could experience the craziness for myself instead.  Looks like a lot of Fun.
On the Nature of Dwarves

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2011, 02:18:08 pm »

Well, it looks like this conversation was moot, doesn't it?
It was moot before it began. You'll never have 100% consensus on this issue, and anyless than 100% is not enough to 'fix it' as the OP would prefer.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2011, 04:06:59 pm »

on a side note, where did the idea of using the terms "circus" and "clowns" come from?
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2011, 04:33:02 pm »

on a side note, where did the idea of using the terms "circus" and "clowns" come from?

IIRC, it was an effort to allow us to discuss HFS in the open without spoiling it for the newbies or using tags.  It soon degraded as the clown/circus metaphor was taken to ridiculous lengths and applied to literally every aspect of HFS.
On the Nature of Dwarves

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2011, 04:43:57 pm »

yes, but why clowns?  that's what i want to know.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2011, 05:14:01 pm »

it pretty much just happened in a thread quite a while ago, there was no consensus or discussion on it, some guy just referred to the demons as clowns and that was that, people just ended up picking it up and, yeah, like the other guy said, started taking it to lengths it should have never been taken to.

My best guess? he picked clowns because clowns are frightening, I feel like the master of the obvious here, but there's really not much reading into it you can do.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2011, 06:27:28 pm »

yes, but why clowns?  that's what i want to know.

Toady wanted this to be hidden, for those who have experienced it he came up with euphemisms to hide the words.

"The circus is lots of fun".

That is how you hide it but it seems that now, many people overuse it and then spoil it.

We need more experienced scribes around here. Newbies deserve their fun in the right way.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4