Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Out of booze... and they eat the Plump Helmets. Help!  (Read 1484 times)

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
Out of booze... and they eat the Plump Helmets. Help!
« on: July 22, 2011, 07:49:52 pm »

Okay... How do I forbid Urist from eating the plump helmets I need to brew booze?
I've got a farm full of helmets, and 2 stills that just sit, doing nothing...
The helmets keep getting snatched and eaten rawas soon as they're brought to the food storage.
How do I forbid them from eating it while still letting it be brewed? (And it is already marked as red under "Cook" and blue under "Brew")

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Out of booze... and they eat the Plump Helmets. Help!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 07:55:19 pm »

Make a stockpile for brewable plants near your still and a separate stockpile for the food you want your dwarves to eat. Put your brewers and farmers in a burrow that gives them access to the plant stockpile and put everyone else in a burrow that doesn't.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 08:00:56 pm »

Makes sense. Thanks. Now if I can just get my terribly sober dwarves to work fast enough...

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 08:41:03 pm »

Make a stockpile for brewable plants near your still and a separate stockpile for the food you want your dwarves to eat. Put your brewers and farmers in a burrow that gives them access to the plant stockpile and put everyone else in a burrow that doesn't.
that's a real terrible workaround for large forts with multiple still sites and stockpiles.

perhaps it needs to go to suggestion forum - "disallowing cooking forbids eating raw"
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 08:44:26 pm »

Grow more plump helmets...  Really, farming is so laughably easy that you should never face starvation.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 08:46:29 pm »

Grow more plump helmets...  Really, farming is so laughably easy that you should never face starvation.
it's not so much the starvation for me, but the lack of a happy thought from eating masterwork roasts, in favour of raw plump helmets.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 08:46:54 pm »

Way easier than it used to be, thankfully.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 08:50:58 pm »

if you have any stray's butcher them, the influx of meat to your stockpiles should distract the dwarfs long enough for a few pump helmets to make it to your still.

or start gathering plants like crazy.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 08:57:17 pm »

Two words for you: Pig tails.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 08:58:15 pm »

Two words for you: Pig tails.

.. Pig tails.. edible?
Aren't they supposed to be used for making threads?

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 09:01:23 pm »

The solution to this problem is to have so many plump helmets they can't possibly eat them all fast enough. Happily, this isn't too hard.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 09:06:50 pm »

Ever heard of dwarven ale? Brewing only plump helmets gets you unhappy dwarves - lack of alcohol variety. If you add pig tails you can brew some drink and pig tails never get eaten. And you can divert some to make cloth.

Farming is incredibly easy, I don't understand why people only grow helmets. But even the staunchest plump helmet merchant should recognize the value of some pig tails or risk some tantrum spirals otherwise.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 09:22:41 pm »

Pig tails are brewable, but not edible, an easy source of perpetually brewable material, and thread if you ever need it.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 09:49:42 pm »

it's not so much the starvation for me, but the lack of a happy thought from eating masterwork roasts, in favour of raw plump helmets.

what about this.  dwarves will eat ANY uncooked food.  my floorplans preclude the burrow solution, really.  i mean i COULD set that up, but would involve literally years of hauling.

no urist, i do not want you eating ANYTHING but those roasts i had cooked up.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 10:52:50 pm »

.. Pig tails.. edible?
They're semi-edible. You can cook alcohol so long as there's a solid base, and if the liquid ingredients are closest to the kitchen the cook will go for them first after fetching the base. This allows you to make a roast consisting of handful of peafowl guts and three large barrels of ale.

There are some plants that can be used as brew/eat crops without the threat of dwarves eating them before you can do anything with them, but they all require bags for the flour or sugar produced.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2