Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Survivors of other ambushes...  (Read 1792 times)

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Survivors of other ambushes...
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 11:12:09 am »

I have had a similar situation. One squad of bow goblins lead by an elite was beaten back by my elite hunter. He managed to knock out the leader and turn him into a pincushion full of lodged arrows. The goblins managed to recover and flee. After a subsequent ambush I was looking through the corpses to gather the metal for melting when I noticed that one goblin corpse had a pile of bolts of superior or higher quality, clearly dwarvern.

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 12:39:46 pm »

the pikeman that i found didn't show to have any kind of arrows stuck in him but,he had scars a lot of them.as far as i know the history stops on the rest of the world when playing so there is no way of him entering on a fight outside my fort,and are you sure that they disapear after they left the map? the place where my entrance is is one of the sides of a lake and it is very small,my embark site consist 90 of water and in the north and south parts are land masses and my entrance is on the northern one wich is the smaller one so there is no way this guy stayed hiden of my sock-gather squad

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 05:36:27 pm »

I think it's less likely that it never left the map than that it happened to be a different legless goblin.  I mean, we're talking a few seasons between sieges here, and I don't let goblins leave the map without at least trying to hunt them down.
what i meant is that he left the visible portion of the map, only to stand in a "invisible" portion, like a tile or two out of range....  the only reason i suspect this is that i hear that water source tiles for rivers and such are 1-2 tiles "off the map".  if such "buffer tiles" exist, perhaps he stood on one?
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 06:28:49 pm »

I think it's less likely that it never left the map than that it happened to be a different legless goblin.  I mean, we're talking a few seasons between sieges here, and I don't let goblins leave the map without at least trying to hunt them down.
what i meant is that he left the visible portion of the map, only to stand in a "invisible" portion, like a tile or two out of range....  the only reason i suspect this is that i hear that water source tiles for rivers and such are 1-2 tiles "off the map".  if such "buffer tiles" exist, perhaps he stood on one?

In my case I doubt it...
usually, as long as there are still siegers on the map (no matter whether visible or not) the fortress is still under siege.
But in my case the siege was luifted as soon as the last goblin left the map, so I am rather sure, that they really fled.

Also, as I keep track of goblin nobles and their deaths during sieges, I can say,
that goblins get erased from the list of nobles in the goblin civilization, if they get killed or caged during a siege.
Goblins who just flee the battle are still listed amnong the nobles of the goblin civilization.

So, taken together that´s a strong indication to me that they neither hide somewhere on the map, nor get killed upon leaving the map.

Maybe the mechanism works like this:
As soon as goblins attack your fortress (by an ambush or siege) they become important figures of your current history (no matter whether they are leaders or simple soldiers).
If they successfully flee (and therefore survive) they return to their goblin civ and their values get stored by the game, so that (after a short or long while) they might reappear in another ambush or siege, with healable wounds being healed (and maybe scarred) and not healable wounds (like missing limbs) still being present.
(and maybe the same mechanism is active for escaping kobold or goblin thieves ;) )
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 06:33:19 pm by Proteus »

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2011, 06:33:46 pm »

yes i agree with the last post,can  anyone confirm that the same goblin or elve or chicken can lead an assault more than one time? i'm not on my computer so i cant do that.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2011, 07:29:22 pm »

In my case I doubt it...
usually, as long as there are still siegers on the map (no matter whether visible or not) the fortress is still under siege.
But in my case the siege was luifted as soon as the last goblin left the map, so I am rather sure, that they really fled.

siege tag goes away when the siege leader is killed.  or when the goblins get bored.  there are still goblins on the map, but no siege tag up top.

i have a habit of scanning the units list immediately after sieges to make sure it's really safe to let the civilians outside.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2011, 07:42:14 pm »

In my case I doubt it...

siege tag goes away when the siege leader is killed.  or when the goblins get bored.  there are still goblins on the map, but no siege tag up top.

i have a habit of scanning the units list immediately after sieges to make sure it's really safe to let the civilians outside.

But as I said, in my case the siege leader was still alive (he was the one who successfully fled [causing the siege tag to go away] and reappeared the next season with another siege army)

And yes, I for my part also scan the unit list after every siege to find remaining goblins, trolls or ogres
and assess how many enemies my dwarves/traps killed and/or caged
and in this case there wasn´t a single uncaged living goblin/troll/ogre on the unit list
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 07:44:10 pm by Proteus »

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2011, 07:45:07 pm »

In my case I doubt it...

But as I said, in my case the siege leader was still alive (he was the one who successfully fled [causing the siege tag to go away] and reappeared the next season)

And yes, I for my part also scan the unit list after every siege to find remaining goblins, trolls or ogres
and in this case there wasn´t a single uncaged living goblin/troll/ogre on the unit list

duplicate your save, and check legends.  there should be a way to see if this is indeed the same individual as before in legends.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2011, 07:47:14 pm »

In my case I doubt it...

But as I said, in my case the siege leader was still alive (he was the one who successfully fled [causing the siege tag to go away] and reappeared the next season)

duplicate your save, and check legends.  there should be a way to see if this is indeed the same individual as before in legends.

O.K., will do it tomorrow

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2011, 12:33:49 am »

You can find lawgiver or demon master who visited/attacked you in adventure mode/in civilization leader list, so I suppose its possible that historical figures don't disappear after leaving the map?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2011, 08:52:21 am »

In my case I doubt it...

So, I checked my history (an Excel file I made about the history of my fortresses)
as well as the game history.

For one, I was mistaken...
it wasn´t the General who I think appeared twice, but a Spearmaster.
Unfortunately he only led the first attack, while the 2nd attack was led by the general I mentioned.

Sp, what I can prove from game history history is the following:
The spearmaster was the leader of the 1st attack and survived:
1st Attack:

Spearmaster in unit list:

Spearmaster in detail:

In contrast to this, details of a goblin who was killed in the attack:

I can also prove that the siege was de facto lifted, as the 2nd siege contained members of the elven caravan that get killed
(if there still had been a siege, there wouldn´t have been a caravan)

What I cannot prove is, that the spearmaster took part in both sieges, as unfortunately the unit details don´t list all the battles where a person took part and the 2nd attack was led by said general.

I only found one indirect evidence about goblins leaving and probably coming back later:

As we see, the goblins Olngö and Zolak were "created" at the same time (as they are listed directly next to each other)...
I assume as part of an ambusher squad, although I am not sure about it anymore.

The first goblin, Olngö was killed in the spring of 959...
the 2nd goblin, Zolak, however was killed in the late autumn of 960,
that is, 1.5 years later.

So there are 2 possibilities:
1. Zolak was part of an ambusher team that entered the map in the beginning of 959 and remained hidden  for 1.,5 years
2. Zolak fled from the 1st ambush (after too many of his friends wehre killed/caged while trying to enter my fortress) and came back later with another ambush squad, which is when he was killed.

While 1. is definitely a possibility, IMHO it is rather improbable, considering the fact that during these 1.5 years there were at least 1 dwarven caravan as a juicy target as well as numerous pets and other animals who freely roamed the map (and who, especially the pets, would have been possible targets for any ambusher team)

Unfortunately my current world with V .25 lists only 3 sieges therefore I wasn´t able to check any more data about recurring goblins

Edit:
Linked smaller pics
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 09:24:55 am by Proteus »

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2011, 08:57:54 am »

this deserves further investigation,i suggest that we call Urist MCsamFisher

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2011, 09:13:43 am »

hrm.... so perhaps units that are not an important position are not "killed" (aka, vanished) when they leave the map and recyclable?

the case of the ambusher is interesting.  just how smart is the AI for the goblins?  how do ambushes operate?  if you discover one, you reveal the entire squad?  can they rehide?  perhaps the squad considered the caravan with its dwarven guards a bit of a tall order, and decided to wait for the unguarded elves?

i've had a master thief get revealed by a cat, run to the map edge (2 tiles away to be exact) and wait there, motionless, for two seasons (till i got tired of seeing him hanging out by my punmphouse and sent in the army)  perhaps the ambush squad was doing the same.

all the same, this bears more research.

does anyone know a way to unhide a hidden history, or would that require a new worldgen?

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2011, 10:47:02 am »

Oh ive had a hilarious thing happen with a returning ambush.  The first time these guys showed up 2 guys lost a legg, 1 died, 1 lost his hand, and 2 others lost an arm each.  They retreated...but they returned.  The funniest thing ever is 6 goblins showing up and almost immediately passing out on the side of your map XD
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2011, 11:50:23 am »

if you discover one member of the SQUAD the hole squad is revealed,not other squads,i dont think they can re-hide.why would the masterchief wait? he should be running from bolts.
we need to pray for the olympian gods so Toady the Great help us in this question.
Pages: 1 [2]