Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Really Slow Workers  (Read 810 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Really Slow Workers
« on: July 22, 2011, 04:58:29 pm »

You know the dwarves I'm talking about? The new tanners, bone crafters, and cooks. You butcher an animal, and plan to use its parts, so you give a peasant the labor to do so. They take away the skin or bones, and get to work. And they sit there. And sit there. Apparently they're working, but very slowly. They have no skill and the workshop is cluttered from all of the body parts in it. Progression speed virtually zero.

Soon enough, they get thirsty, or hungry, or sleepy. They abandon the job. It's still sitting there, waiting for them, but they still have next to no experience, so it takes them as long as before. The job never gets done, and you cancel it, leaving the parts to rot.

As well as a general complaint about these guys, I have two questions:
1) Is there any good way around this? Long-term training is out of the question.
2) Will the job ever get completed? Does it retain partial completion when the dwarf leaves, or does it revert back to the job start?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Really Slow Workers
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 05:08:03 pm »

Animal body parts clutter up a workshop as much as the animal itself. It's a bug, probably.

To get around it you can forbid the parts that are causing trouble and give them parts from smaller animals. Reindeer are about the largest domestic animals that don't clutter a workshop, and they provide plenty of raw material too. The only thing you can do with skins is build more tanneries, as it won't keep.

I don't know about the completion question.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 05:27:24 pm »

I just had a dwarf die of thirst while making a barrel. Ironically, the barrel was for booze. I had been watching him work for 5 uninterrupted minutes.

egads

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 06:59:35 pm »

You do it--starving, dehydrated, sober, skilled at, say...cheese making or better yet Lying and Sensing Intention and suddenly it's make a barrel quick! or tan this hide before it rots, horribly!  Poor dwarves
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 08:41:28 pm »

Looks like you need more dedicated haulers. Cluttered workshops can seriously slow down a task.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 08:44:53 pm »

Looks like you need more dedicated haulers. Cluttered workshops can seriously slow down a task.
The workshops are cluttered because of the materials needed for the job. One horse skin or skeleton will clutter a workshop to the highest degree.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 10:36:40 pm »

Ah, I see. Well, that sucks. I don't see a way to change then. I suppose you then just need more nice dwarves to give food/water to your working dwarves.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 07:40:26 am »

it isn't a bug, try putting a dead dog   on your dinning table while your are eating.
but i think that the bug is that when you order bone bolts your bonecarver grabs an elephant bone and only make 5 bone bolts,or the elephant was  "midget" or the bolts are 1 meter length, so the "fix" for this is to make a big bone poduce more bolts,a piece skin from a big animal produce more pieces of leather...

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 07:50:15 am »

it isn't a bug, try putting a dead dog   on your dinning table while your are eating.
You do not eat in butchery, so this example is irrevelant. It IS bug.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 08:00:27 am »

The problem is not that dogsare big. It is that weach part of a dog is as big as a whole dog. Add it  up.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 10:42:53 am »

as toady is the one who created the game this can be a bug only if he state this as a bug.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 11:48:14 am »

The problem, as I see it, isn't the size of the parts, but rather their size relative to the workshop. Sure, an elephant's skeleton is going to be very big in a workshop. That doesn't mean that the workshop should be rediculously cluttered, to the point that a novice can't get the job done without being deprived of basic bodily needs fulfilled.

It's not really a bug, I don't think, but more of an interaction between features that needs refining. It shouldn't take a season to tan a horse hide, even if the dwarf doing so just started out. (And I actually got the tanning job done, as well as three or four stacks of bolts. I don't know if the completion is due to increased worker experience or partial workshop job completion.)

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 12:00:10 pm »

apart from the cluttering business I think some kind of apprenticeship system could be useful, a dwarf assigned to another could gain experience in a skill based on the apprentices observer skill and the masters job and teacher skill.

I've seen elves gain skills when taken as pets, smiler to those of the people who've taken them as pets. It is very possible that this was a coincidence and the elves had the skills already but they weren't displayed till they were adopted.
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.