Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 466221 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because you haven't bought the super-secret premium license for Dwarf Fortress.

Why does the uninvited guest I've got in a cage not need to eat?
()==[:::::::::::::>

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile

He's not hungry enough to eat dwarven food. He will never be that hungry.

Why do animal men keep coming onto the map even though I keep killing them?

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent at Incompetency.
    • View Profile

They practice "What you don't know won't kill you".

Why hasn't the glowing eerie pits been weaponised?
I do stuff, I guess

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's a reason why dwarves are moving out of the Mountainhomes.
I'm going to sig this... I'll probably have to get rid of my other two quotes but I'm going to do it XD
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's a stage in the life cycle of the plump helmet fungus. They infest vermin corpses due to their being small enough to be shaded by grass and such, much like they infest corpses and food left in the dark to rot, producing clouds of spores. These spores interfere with dorf reproductive spores and have become associated with frustration and disgust, hence why they are called miasma and make dorfs sick. If left alone long enough they will take up root as plump helmet plants which then send out spores into the local environment in an attempt to find other corpses to decompose. When they are unable to do so they enter a new stage in the life cycle wherein they grow limbs and are known as plump helmet men, which move around until they find a suitable area and upon death provide food for more vermin.

Why did all of that make sense to me?
Sir that's the best post in this thread - no, in this whole forum.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

*dramatic bow*

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile

Why hasn't the glowing eerie pits been weaponised?

Attempts have been made. No one was left to report on the results. So presumably, it worked, they have been weaponised!

Why do I have named unicorn blood flowing through my dwarfwash? (and more importantly: How can I get rid of it?)
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's a reason why dwarves are moving out of the Mountainhomes.
I'm going to sig this... I'll probably have to get rid of my other two quotes but I'm going to do it XD
Yay I got sigged!

Why do I have named unicorn blood flowing through my dwarfwash? (and more importantly: How can I get rid of it?)
It shows your dwarves are mighty enough to slay such a fell beast as a unicorn. Take pride!

Has anyone tried importing unicorns from the elves into evil biomes for the sole purpose of attaining unicorn zombies?
I do stuff, I guess

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would do it if I weren't too nooby to manage to survive on an evil biome until the elves finally bring Unicorns. Seeing as we don't get liaisons from elves, I don't think anybody did yet.

Why don't the elves bring liaisons?

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They don't have liaisons. If diplomats are already being mercilessly slaughtered by the dwarves, think of what harm could befall a liaison.

What exactly are Trade Depots?
I do stuff, I guess

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile

I like to imagine Trade Depots are large  mediterranian temples or something with ionic columns and enough room for all the carts... But someone recently told me that it was a Gazebo of Death, so now I'm never sure.

What does an aquifer smell of?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Frustration and disgust, just like miasma.

Why do so many people put a "w" and an "a" in "dorf"?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile

What, you mean like Dorwfa? Its a cultural thing mostly. Its the difference between dorfs that live in hills and dorwfas that live in the cold glaciers and mountains of the world.

Why can't dragons fly?
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile

Why can't dragons fly?

Turns out their body is too heavy for their wings.

Why do dragons attack dwrven fortresses when there is nothing but XXsockXXs inside?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile

XXsocksXX make the best nests for BABY dragons. They are valuable beyond measure to an expecting dragon.

What exactly does gnomeblight DO?
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 301