Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 466308 times)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile

Why doesn't building walls build up Masonry skill at all?
It's just brick laying/rock piling, it's not that much of a skill-builder compared to carving bricks and doors out of rock...

Why doesn't Honey Badger care?
He used to care, then he lost all his honey, so now Honey Badger is jaded against caring

Why does building an entire fortress out of wood not bother elves, but try to give them one wooden spear and they get mad?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

Why doesn't building walls build up Masonry skill at all?
It's just brick laying/rock piling, it's not that much of a skill-builder compared to carving bricks and doors out of rock...

Why doesn't Honey Badger care?
He used to care, then he lost all his honey, so now Honey Badger is jaded against caring

Why does building an entire fortress out of wood not bother elves, but try to give them one wooden spear and they get mad?
As long as the wood is 'rooted' in the ground they cant tell its not alive, so they think you grew your fort.

Why cant I cancel a military dwarf's job to store item in bin?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile

Do you want to tell the heavily-armed soldier they just ran halfway across the fortress in their heavy armor and their weapon on their person for nothing?

Why do trees randomly collapse on my Dwarves when left undisturbed?
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

sensible answer: limbs on trees can grow in ways that ultimately pplace more strain on the limb than the constituent wood is structurally able to bear, resulting in spontaneous limb falls. Toady has simply modeled this in his new multitile trees.

Dwarfy answer: Elven sabotage. 'nuff said.

why do trees grow on engraved obsidian cast floors?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

That's the large quanta again, the water doesn't evaporate, it just gets into a fistfight with the magma and they wind up locked in a submission hold forever. Tree roots can fit into the gaps between the quanta and get at the water there... though I'm not sure what they do with the magma left over.

Why did it take so long for me to realize--they started getting hungry/thirsty midfight--that even a full squad of hammerlords won't be able to kill reanimated sheep head wool and order one of the axe wielders to come finish it back off?

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You were distracted by the rest of the sheep wool trying to eat your citizens

Why do dwarves always want three layers of clothing? Tunic, robe and cloak seems a bit excessive...

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

The dwarves know that they will eventually die violently, and want to get as much clothing as possible to protect them from more embarrassing deaths like being eaten by squirrels or angry cats.

Why does magma only transfer heat one tile away from itself (warm stone detected?)
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Has to do with the large quanta again, magma starts to leak through into the spaces between, but it becomes afraid before it stares too far into the abyss, and turns back, merely warming the stone enough to make it flash in the presence of a mining pick.

How do stones know a dorf with a pick is thinking of hitting them, and change color the instant you even try to select one of the appropriate options?

Vyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Orders are orders. These are just the hivemind-induced hallucinations to direct its minions. That's how dorfs see when to stop digging, where that +gold statue+ goes, which puppies exactly to butcher, what position this squad must take right now and that THIS door is CLOSED.

Are dorven door sentient to allow for such interactions?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are dorven door sentient to allow for such interactions?
I think my earlier response about how to lock a stone door is still relevant
Well obviously you make it at least 3 feet thick from the same stone as mechanisms, which gives it a quantum state locker like a weeping angel, except when you look at a dorf door it stops existing, which is why you can put a door between four pillars and it will allow traffic in all four directions. To lock it you just pull a curtain which keeps it from being looked at.

But I would add "kinda", might even be as sentient as a dorf, but nobody is sure if they are sentient or not.

Is it awful that the first thing I thought of after accidentally ressurecting a dorf who had already left behind a skeleton is disappointment that they already had a mood, so I'm not sure how to force them to make an artifact out of their own skeleton?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

No. It only proves that you're a true overseer, and not one of those stupid plebsdorfs you govern.

Any idea why a dwarf would have no mental problems after being killed, then resurrected?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He went full circle, dying so hard that he came back to life in perfect health

How many dwarves does it take to repel a 200 goblin siege?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile

Two. One to pull the lever and one to build the deathtrap.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Answer to Arcvasti: mu

Question: what did Arcvasti ask?

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"What sound does the cow make?" but he asked it in newt language, which consists entirely of burbles and hisses and cannot be typed

How much booze can one dwarf drink?
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 301