Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 466328 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How do magma pistons work? Clearly not on Archimedean principle, that's for sure.

Quantum tunneling. Dwarf Fortress has really large quanta. It's how mechanisms work.

Soap is made from lye which is made from ash which is made from trees. Just how smelly are elves?
()==[:::::::::::::>

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile

Some dwarves think the terrible smell of the forest is from the rotting corpses of animals and droppings everywhere. It's actually the elves. Yes, from the other side of the forest, you can still smell them.

Why can I have a dozen rotting corpses in my cistern with no difference in the water, but if there's a little bit of mud in the water it causes infections?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: October 17, 2014, 11:19:05 pm »

Viri are vermin, who lack tags, tokens or Raws.  Most dont have anything except a shell and a strand of RNA.  DNA if theyre lucky. Since dwarven immunity to disease is Raw based (Gerneral_Poison and Gets_Rot) Dwarves are  completely immune to Vermin Viri.      Why do BDs ignore all non-touching  hostiles when engaging a door?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Vyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They are paid for it. Everything else is just collateral damage and tiny premium pay.

Why don't those giant green glass pump stacks spontaneously implode upon themselves from the tremendous negative pressure they produce to move hundreds of Urists of liquid rock per second?

peri609667

• Bay Watcher
  • I am shocked and appalled.
    • View Profile

So I've just reclaimed the capital in a world where dwarves went extinct in year 24 at the hands of a titan. Currently reclaiming and reorganizing the stockpile level but one of the storerooms is permanently black even after I've explored it. How do I fix this without breaking other things? Picture attached. http://puu.sh/cgQGD/615537cf71.png
I love this. In three pages we've gone from being willing to eat intelligent beings, to trying to make them *more* intelligent, so it will be more fun to eat them.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile

So I've just reclaimed the capital in a world where dwarves went extinct in year 24 at the hands of a titan. Currently reclaiming and reorganizing the stockpile level but one of the storerooms is permanently black even after I've explored it. How do I fix this without breaking other things? Picture attached. http://puu.sh/cgQGD/615537cf71.png

I'm not sure about that. I think sending a squad in there will help. Unless that's what you meant by "Explored it" then I don't know.

Is a dwarf in the cage worth more than two in the oak tree?
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Depends on if any or all of said dorfs are berserk or not.

For me... uh...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
wat

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why don't those giant green glass pump stacks spontaneously implode upon themselves from the tremendous negative pressure they produce to move hundreds of Urists of liquid rock per second?
They are imploding, but dwarven engineering causes the entire world to implode alongside them so nothing changes

For me... uh...
wat

hope that explains it

Why do my dwarves keep eating all the raw crops and not the prepared meals the cooks worked so hard to make?

blazing glory

Because no one tells Urist that he doesn't know how to cook.

Why will dwarves forget all about their dead family as long as they have a nice room?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because no one tells Urist that he doesn't know how to cook.

Why will dwarves forget all about their dead family as long as they have a nice room?
A dwarf brain is only large enough to hold ten thoughts at a time, total, to make sure they don't forget their name they write it on their shirt and pants upside down so they can read it while wearing it, which is why they get so upset when they have to run around naked, it triggers an existential crisis every time they see something new and forget who they are.

For me... uh...
wat

hope that explains it
I feel like that should be "rears up", or "raises up" or "uncoils and prepares to strike" or anything that doesn't imply they have legs... oh dear Armok...

Do giant rattlesnakes in fact have legs that we just can't see?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: October 18, 2014, 09:55:55 pm »

NO.  'Standing up' for them is   raising their head so as to tighten the 'abdominal' muscle.  For reference  you go lie on the ground and try to crawl without moving your arms  or raising your head.  Not easy, amirite?      Why do zombies attack their master if attacked by them?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why not? They don't get paid for this kind of abuse!

How do zombie fish walk on land?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

They slither around like snakes.  The only thing that keeps live fish from doing this is their inability to breathe on land, but once they no longer need to breathe at all this isn't a problem.

How do cats climb perfectly smooth iron block walls without ever falling off?

Vyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because a block wall can't be perfectly smooth almost by definition. And Legendary Climber is just another name for psionic levitation trait. It is Cats we are talking about after all.

How does one take out a clutch of fifty eggs from under a cave crocodile currently hatching them with all meaty bits still intact?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 09:39:42 am by Vyro »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's a little known fact that a cat is 96% lint, 3% cat hair, and 1% assorted meats, and thus generates a huge static charge when rubbing up against legs, allowing them to easily cling to the sheerest of surfaces like a gecko... except furrier.*Ninja'D*

Simple, you get someone else to do it so your meaty bits remain intact, Vyro.

Why is it that the slightest error in considering the height difference between a cistern and well leads to instaflooding by pressurized water, yet having 20 or 30 z columns of magma with a drain at the bottom isn't enough to push the stuff up out of another tube at all... or even really change how quickly it flows?
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 301