Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 466586 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

Question:

So, my fortress is a couple of years old, around 90 dwarves or so, had an ambush, killed them off, then my animal stockpile was full of caged invaders.  Dumped them into my pit, sent my marksdwarves down there to kill them off, and then...my marksdwarves started fighting each other?  After that, some of my military dwarves started killing civilians, and then some military dwarves starting fighting each other.  No one was berserk or tantruming (that I could find) but this mass dwarficide is going on and I can't figure out why.

Anyone experience anything like this before?

Loyalty cascade. Were there any dwarven merchants or caravan guards that you accidentally attacked?

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Question:

So, my fortress is a couple of years old, around 90 dwarves or so, had an ambush, killed them off, then my animal stockpile was full of caged invaders.  Dumped them into my pit, sent my marksdwarves down there to kill them off, and then...my marksdwarves started fighting each other?  After that, some of my military dwarves started killing civilians, and then some military dwarves starting fighting each other.  No one was berserk or tantruming (that I could find) but this mass dwarficide is going on and I can't figure out why.

Anyone experience anything like this before?

Loyalty cascade. Were there any dwarven merchants or caravan guards that you accidentally attacked?
Not that I'm aware of - the outpost liason may have been around though.  There was a caravan, elven or human...elven I think, but, so far as I can tell, they made it into me reconstructed depot.

Huh, first time that's happened. I'm gonna ride it out when I get home and see what shakes out of it.

EDIT - wait, I had captured some giant rat mounts of the siegers and was training them before I dropped them into the pit, then they fought the goblins, then my marksdwarves showed up and killed everything.  Would that cause it?  Having trained and then killed the mounts?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 06:00:26 pm by ColdBones »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

yea. you tamed them, bringing tgem into your civ.

Tgen you told the archers to kill members of their own civ.  df loyalty is to civ and local both, and since you are always a member of your civ you killing another member makes you an enemy of the localebut not the civ. dwarves that attack the enemy of your locale become enemies of the civ (but still members).

loyalty cascade because obvious reasons.  if it happens again.  isolate and kill via nonmilitary means.  like bridges, water, or magma.  A training room 'accidently' rigged with metal is also good.

Why does df not know enough to eject enemies from civ-membership?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why does df not know enough to eject enemies from civ-membership?

Well where would be the !!FUN!! in that?

Why can't dragons fly in df?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile

Because Armok suffers none to be as epic as he, and dragons would come awfully close if they could.

Why do flying creatures not path to places that can't be reached by ground travel?
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No clue on that one, but want to post my big WTF??!?

I have barrels upon barrels of seeds outside in my farm. So WHY on earth do I get continual spam messages of Farmer McDonald cancels plant rat weed: no seeds?

GAHAGHAGHAHGFDSAHGAHGSAHfdsalkjfdsalkjfdsa;lkjfdsa;lkjfdsa
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile

Because the dwarves are smoking it.

Why oh why must dwarf fortress crash whenever the fort is actually doing something interesting?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

Why do flying creatures not path to places that can't be reached by ground travel?
They want to be able to walk back in case their wings get tired.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have barrels upon barrels of seeds outside in my farm. So WHY on earth do I get continual spam messages of Farmer McDonald cancels plant rat weed: no seeds?

That's...actually WHY they cause the spam. (since you seem...serious.)
Don't stockpile seeds in barrels. EVER.  Preferably don't stockpile seeds at all, but the Dwarves will run around putting them into bags no matter what you do.
dwarf grabs the entire barrel to grab one seed. 

don't have a new one. :(.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile

There is a semi-functional work around for this: have 2 separate seed stockpiles. One is set to use barrels, the other isn't. The one that uses barrels is placed near where the seeds are generated (still, farmer's workshop, kitchen, dinning room) and other stockpile that doesn't accept barrels placed near your farms. Set the barrel stockpile to take from anywhere and give to the non-barrel stockpile. Then set the non-barrel stockpile to only take from the barrel stockpile. This will greatly reduce the cancellation spam (but not completely unfortunately).
It should be noted that you'll need a lot of bags for this, because the stockpile without barrels will place seeds in bags, and the stockpile with barrels will place seed bags inside the barrels (don't question why, it's dorf fort).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 12:28:09 pm by AWellTrainedFerret »
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile

Since there aren't any new questions...

Why isn't there magic in DF? I don't care much for enchantments, but I'd love to read a tome of "Secrets of Flame and Desolation" to use fireballs, "Secrets of Stone" to earth bend, and such and so.
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile

That will be added in future releases. When it is, just remember to avoid sock-o-mancers/urgies.

Why do goblins and/or other invaders become friendly temporarily after reclaiming?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

Why oh why must dwarf fortress crash whenever the fort is actually doing something interesting?
Because interesting things attract Armok, and His glory is too great to behold.

From previous page:
Why do goblins and/or other invaders become friendly temporarily after reclaiming?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile

Goblins are cruel, horrible creatures consumed in sadism. Quite similarly to High school cheerleaders. So, like cheerleaders, the goblins pretend to be sweet, friendly beings so their brutality hurts that much more.

Also, trading.

What kinds of night creatures are there, besides the generic Boogieman, Werecritter and Vampire?
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile

In the night, horrible, unthinkable beasts lurk. They hunger not for flesh, nor bone, nor even the very soul, but for the madness of all you gaze upon them. For they are eldritch and unknowable beings, and all who dare to glimpse at their true form shall have his mind sundered and destroyed, his sanity forever lost. These are the horrid beasts of which you wish to know of, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu ftaghn! Cthulhu R'lyeh ftaghn!

Why have the Elder Gods not been implemented in DF? Imagine if we had them as the Hidden Super Fun Stuff.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 301