Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 466584 times)

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile

Because their wings get clipped.

Why can't dwarves make weapons out of Gold?
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile

Gold is heavy and soft. Barely better than those damn wood swords the elves make.

Why don't my dwarves consider conserving my plump helmets so they don't dehydrate to death?
Everything's in the news today

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This food is seasoned with imaginary elf tears, one of the finest spices known to dwarfkind. Due to the woody texture of the raw 'helmets, they believe that these mushrooms are sort of little trees and that whenever a dwarf bites into a plump helmet, an elf somewhere cries.

(more seriously, put a "brewables" stockpile somewhere near the stills, clearly seperate from the general working areas and the meeting hall - dwarfs take the _nearest_ edible item when they get hungry, and early on, that's all too often the plump helmets.)

Shouldn't "rotten" cheese be considered further processing of the food, increasing its value further? After all, some of the most delicious cheeses are produced by letting cheese rot in a dank cave.

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Only in French version. Also, there are extra happy thought for eating edible snails.

By the way, why don't dwarf let wine age?
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What!?!?!? Let alcohol evaporate and get lost? Why, I ought to have you shaved bare for undwarven thoughts......

Why do dwarves need water when sick? After all, alcohol is best at all other times and besides, with its antiseptic properties, it should prevent infection, unlike that nasty water.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

Dwarves have a strong work ethic.  Why should you get help when you are awake and active?  Also note this is why armless dwaeves dont get cleaned by others and concious maimed dwarves dont get medical attention.

Why do diplomats ask you for peace instead of the king?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why, I ought to have you shaved bare for undwarven thoughts......

Funny thing is, I did shave my beard couple hours ago.
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dwarves have a strong work ethic.  Why should you get help when you are awake and active?  Also note this is why armless dwaeves dont get cleaned by others and concious maimed dwarves dont get medical attention.

Why do diplomats ask you for peace instead of the king?

There are, actually, two types of diplomats: the talkative sort, and the stabbity sort.  the former wouldn't go to your fort if they were after your king, would they?

besides, while you answered a tangential question...why don't dwarves use BREW for medical work?
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

The dwarven economy isn't implemented yet.

Why is it that only the important dwarves in a fortress manage to find ambush groups?  Why not Urist McUselessPeasant?

Because the ambushes are in fact assassination squads.

Why have infectious diseases like the common cold not yet spread to dwarfkind?

Actually, I'm working on a mod for that.

Ooooooo!

There are, actually, two types of diplomats: the talkative sort, and the stabbity sort.  the former wouldn't go to your fort if they were after your king, would they?

besides, while you answered a tangential question...why don't dwarves use BREW for medical work?

... BREW...?

Lielac cancels add question: interrupted by cluster headache

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For dwarfs, sentience and conscience are indistinguishable, thus they consider an unconscious dwarf a sort of vegetable and try to water them.

Alternatively, they've been taught in dwarf school that any liquid used in healthcare must be drawn from a well, and since we have no wells of booze... yet....

Which seamlessly leads to my question: when do we get to make wells of booze?

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile

For dwarfs, sentience and conscience are indistinguishable, thus they consider an unconscious dwarf a sort of vegetable and try to water them.

Alternatively, they've been taught in dwarf school that any liquid used in healthcare must be drawn from a well, and since we have no wells of booze... yet....

Which seamlessly leads to my question: when do we get to make wells of booze?
As soon as dwarves figure out how to make wells that extract liquids besides water and mud

Why doesn't booze explode when it's set on fire?

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile

Stoichiometric ratios (aka Air-to-fuel ratios needed to induce explosion).

Assuming booze to be made entirely out of Ethanol, it would require 9 parts of air per 1 part of booze to explode. As booze is kept on air-tight barrels (the very idea of Air isn't present in DF), it does not explode.

Where do dwarves come from? They don't get pregnant, AFAIK. They just... "appear".
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

They do, in fact, get pregnant. However, the first dwarves in any world are placed there by Armok himself.  Why do dwarves stock hospitals with all the string and cloth they can cram in there?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

The end of days, as written by Armok itself:

And know thee, my child,
that when man and horse meet a new plague will be beset upon ye.
all that protects thine chin will singe before the fire of their wrath;
and the chill of death shall set in, ending the reign of the protectors and ushering a new age of demons.

Without warm chins they will die.  So they stock artifical beards.  And practice regular animal genocide.

Why does tge infinite water of the aquifer dry when I channel through it?  (also, my bad, before :p)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 07:44:49 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Question:

So, my fortress is a couple of years old, around 90 dwarves or so, had an ambush, killed them off, then my animal stockpile was full of caged invaders.  Dumped them into my pit, sent my marksdwarves down there to kill them off, and then...my marksdwarves started fighting each other?  After that, some of my military dwarves started killing civilians, and then some military dwarves starting fighting each other.  No one was berserk or tantruming (that I could find) but this mass dwarficide is going on and I can't figure out why.

Anyone experience anything like this before?
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 301