Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 466984 times)

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com

Why the second inmigration to my fort came with about 25 children?

Orphanage closures. Tough economy for all of us.

Why wasn't my last question answered?

It doesn't explode so much as evaporate, and it can injure dwarves but I don't think its bad enought o kill them.

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why the second inmigration to my fort came with about 25 children?

Orphanage closures. Tough economy for all of us.

Why wasn't my last question answered?

It doesn't explode so much as evaporate, and it can injure dwarves but I don't think its bad enought o kill them.
Why would you think wine or ale would explode? It doesn't have nearly enough alcohol in it.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Because old myths die hard

Where do atomsmashed things go?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Flying Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They actually become part of the bridge itself, and it slowly builds up a crust on the bottom.  Over time this crust crumbles from constant smashing and becomes part of the air, once in this state it simply blows off the map.  Since dust and dirt is not tracked you no longer need to worry about it once it is in this state.  While attached to the bridge though it does give it extra value, but this is usually only a billionth of a dwarf buck per item, so you never see it add up.  ☼Demon Silk Sock Dust☼ is still just dust.

Why does lack of fresh air not bother my dwarves?  They could be completely sealed in with a magma pit open 24/7 dumping toxic fumes into the fortress and they still won't care.
Has entire family killed and all friends butchered and raped.
---
It's cool, he saw an awesome sock AND a waterfall, so it's all good now.
it's ‼Super Happy Tantrum Time‼

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile

Dwarves don't breathe. Rather, they take booze and put it through a strange process, rendering oxygen. They can do this with water, but much less effectively. A dwarf getting an unhappy thought from thirst is really just one getting an unhappy thought from asphyxiating.

Why did one of my dwarves think it a good idea to take a nap in the newly constructed drainage pipe of a basin system/drowning chamber?
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because they're convinced such beautiful shining new constructions inspire happy dreams and glorious moods.

What strange technology is used in screw pumps that they can desalinate ocean water but still leave enough silt and dust to make glass and metal floors 'muddy'?

InfinityOrNone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because dwarves don't like salt, but believe that dirt and mud puts hair on your beard.

Why does the Mountainhome keep sending me fisherdwarves? When Worthlessrust is in a desert?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile

Due to your reputation for amazing feats of dwarven engineering, and the fact that they keep sending you useless drunken dwarves, they expect the entire area should be underwater very, very shortly.

What was Armok's beard laundered with prior to dwarven soap?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Due to your reputation for amazing feats of dwarven engineering, and the fact that they keep sending you useless drunken dwarves, they expect the entire area should be underwater very, very shortly.

Soap? It always has, still is, and always will be laundered with magma.

Why don't dogs eat?
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile

Soap? It always has, still is, and always will be laundered with magma.

Why don't dogs eat?

I don't want to outright say it, but I'll ask a question. The answer to the question deals with your question. Why isn't there a Dwarven septic system?

Now, where did cats come from?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile

Now, where did cats come from?

Armok saw the miners, and he felt they were the blessed of the dwarves.  The miners toiled deep within the womb of the earth, carving out the glory of the dwarven civilization.  He was pleased.

The miners, however, were not.  The miners were constantly harassed by small creatures that lived in the dark, nipping at them while they tried to work, buzzing in their ears as they tried to listen to the sounds of the deep stone.  Armok took pity on them.

Armok created cats to remove the vermin that the miners were constantly harassed by.  He made them hungry for small things.  He made them able to see in the dark passages that the miners had to toil in.  He made cats feel ownership towards dwarves, so they would seek out dwarves in the deep earth and take care of them, so the miners would not have to come to the surface to find them.  He made them breed in large volumes, so that there would always be a cat for every dwarf... and food for the larder, when it came to that.

Alas, Armok had not foreseen the final outcome of his blessing, but instead felt emboldened by the dwarven usage of cats as a leather and bone source for their industries, allowing the occassional cat to adopt a dwarf to keep him free from vermin.  It was enough, and Armok slept again.

Why don't forgotten beasts breed with each other?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because each one is an unique species onto itself, plus some of them aren't even organic.

Why is marksdwarf training so difficult to get set up properly so that they will use the archery range rather than spar?

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why is marksdwarf training so difficult to get set up properly so that they will use the archery range rather than spar?

Because beating people with a club is much more fun than standing around all day launching sticks at a rock and watching them fly way past.

Why is it that single goblin  snatchers can do so much damage with soft metal daggers to iron armored dwarves?
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because goblin snatchers are named for the body part they target, not for their mission to kidnap children?

Why can't dwarves haul dirt around and dump it elsewhere  when they have perfectly serviceable wheelbarrows?

UnlawfullyDeranged

• Bay Watcher
  • For every one, there will be one hundred more.
    • View Profile
    • 'Best War Animals'  'Clocks'

Because they don't have shovels.

How is a screw pump that is (presumably) based off of Archimedes' screw able to pressurize water?
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
Just no cheesemakers.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 301