Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 466885 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

How can dwarves forge weapons like hammers, swords, axes, and giant serrated saw blades from single bars of metal?

(this was fixed a pretty long while back, actually)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Considering a 'bar' of steel weighs 47kg, it's not unreasonable that one is enough to make a steel battle axe (6kg) or a stack of steel bolts (29 kg). I still don't understand how three bars of copper (53 kg each, 159 kg together) suffice to make a copper cage (267 kg) or a copper statue (something on the order of 500 kg, i think).

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile

Considering a 'bar' of steel weighs 47kg, it's not unreasonable that one is enough to make a steel battle axe (6kg) or a stack of steel bolts (29 kg). I still don't understand how three bars of copper (53 kg each, 159 kg together) suffice to make a copper cage (267 kg) or a copper statue (something on the order of 500 kg, i think).
Eh, I never took the actual weight values into account. In my head-cannon metal bars are standard ingots of metal, similar to Skyrim or the stereotypical size of gold ingots.

I can't tell if this is supposed to be an actual help thread or a forum game, heh heh heh. Excuse any of my stupidity.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile

Primarily, this is a forum game. Anyway, back OnT-

Why do DF animals aim for the skull when trying to make a kill, unlike real animals which go for the throat or neck?

DF animals are too ruthless to allow mere blood loss and asphyxiation to kill a target- they have to bite you in the head, breaking the skull and tearing the brain!

Why don't dwarves have to worry about air pressure when underground?
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile

Why don't dwarves have to worry about air pressure when underground?

They live on many euclidean geometric planes stacked upon one another, therefore there really is no real up or down - it's seperate planes of existence packaged like a book and stairs are two-way portals. "Wings" as we know them don't exist, but are simply appendages that allow certain things to traverse the planes so long there is no "solid" floor or wall above them.

This also explains how a wall built by dwarves can stop a bronze collosus from entering the fort.

How is it that Urist McSissypants can be frightened by a little sponge that's on the opposite side of a major river?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Are you KIDDING me!? Just LOOK at that thing!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The terrible look it has! It DREAMS of murdering dwarves in thir sleep, and wearing their clothes! The socks! Gods! It wants their socks!

The real question, is why won't that horrible thing die!?

nuker1110

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are you KIDDING me!? Just LOOK at that thing!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The terrible look it has! It DREAMS of murdering dwarves in thir sleep, and wearing their clothes! The socks! Gods! It wants their socks!

The real question, is why won't that horrible thing die!?

Because it has no internal organs, thus rendering it immune to bolts, and it's underwater, meaning your axedwarves can't reach it to dismember it.

Why, exactly, have beards not evolved past their dependence on dwarves for survival?

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile

Also sponges has no internal organs again, making them immune to axes anyways.

The reason is the beard actaully quite likes not having to do anything. It sees its inevitable death as a slight takeaway to a life of luxury and dwarf blood.

Why are dwarves incapable of seiging elves?
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

They're not.
Many bloody and heavily one-sided wars occur during the mystical period known as "worldgen".

Why can walls be supported if built just below the sky limit?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

Building above to upper limit punctures the atmosphere cloudlands; causing rapid evacuation of breathable air the gods to bring a holy war to Aenenu; that will result in the death of all physical entities things.

Birds are just afraid of clouds, and only a dwarf would try to harbing the apocolypse.

[. . . now I want a mod! :( ]

Why can't dwarves hide in barrels?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Komra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As with all containers, the space inside a barrel is a pocket dimension (see Bags of Holding). Such pocket dimensions are specifically made for the storage of inorganic or non-sentient organic matter. Sentient organisms are highly affected by the odd fluctuations in time and space within, and so are often driven to (a greater degree of) madness or similar.

What would happen if a Beard was transplanted onto a human, an elf, or even a kobold?
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What would happen if a Beard was transplanted onto a human, an elf, or even a kobold?

The Beard would try transforming the host organism. If the organism is "ready" for this (high alcohol consume, desire to party when under SIEGE! etc.) the host becomes a dwarf. If the organism is not ready the host dies.

As with all containers, the space inside a barrel is a pocket dimension (see Bags of Holding). Such pocket dimensions are specifically made for the storage of inorganic or non-sentient organic matter. Sentient organisms are highly affected by the odd fluctuations in time and space within, and so are often driven to (a greater degree of) madness or similar.

What's the difference to cages? They can hold Bronze Colossi and adult Dragons. How come that the pocket dimensions created therein don't make the creature mad? (Or is it not a pocket dimension but something different?)
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

Komra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What's the difference to cages? They can hold Bronze Colossi and adult Dragons. How come that the pocket dimensions created therein don't make the creature mad? (Or is it not a pocket dimension but something different?)

Well, due to the captive being visible to the casual observer, it is clear that the cage exists in the normal Dwarven dimension. The cage is an enclosed version of the spacial abnormalities that allow for the tile-based world structure, slightly modified to hold the enclosed creature in a single space. However, relatively few objects can exist in this way, though multi-caging is possible with special effort. Therefore, the simpler dimension-shifting storage is used for most other purposes.

Why are so many materials entirely impervious against magma?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

Why can siege weapons only be rotated in 90 degree angles?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because... ehmn....

Because the dwarven world was created that way, you filthy heretic!

Burn the stakes!

Why necros are such sneaky bastards?
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 301