Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 466776 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

Because the dwafs wouldn't survive worldgen.  The world may not survive it.  Damn dorfs might do with gunpowder what we can't quite do with atomic weaponry.

Where are the philosophers?  Its somewhat questionable if even the generic nobles can read...
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

They can't read. Almost nobody can. :P

And the philosophers were victims of a witch hunt. The target of which was everyone smart enough not to dodge over cliffs when a butterfly gets too close to them.

Why do dwarves choose to jump down in running water channels and end up going over your indoor waterfall, when the quickest route is actually to go over the bridge?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 05:18:30 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because it's a dwarven waterslide (patent pending)

Why aren't my dwarves so stupid? I probably have a smart /so stupid they look smart bunch. I mean, most of them run TO the fortress in the event of a siege...
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

You micromanage too much.

How do magma pistons work?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Displacement of magma at a speed that it fires upwards.

How do dwarves create magma cannons if magma is hot enough to melt anything?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Because it's not hot enough to melt everything. It's only 12000-and-something degrees urist! Plenty of materials are magma-safe, because their melting point is well above the temperature of the magma.

Why does it take 6 months to complete a short, simple meeting with the trade liaison?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 04:39:31 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile

The "simple" meeting you decry is actually a highly complex dwarven ritual spanning many moons. This is also why dwarves are the only race to make trade agreements with you: all other races lack the knowledge, biology and utter lack of shame to engage in a Dwarven Trade Agreement. First, the liaison must chase after the expedition leader: but the expedition leader knows that he is wanted and must avoid this meeting for as long as possible. The longer the expedition leader manages to make himself scarce, the greater his reputation among the dwarves gets. When they meet, the expedition leader and liaison must deploy both of their beards, and the beards must twist together in the Dwarven Beard-Knot, impossible to untie by any non-bearded creature. Then the leader's total knowledge of the fortress and the liaison's total knowledge of the mountainhomes are sent at 2400 baud until they compute a trade solution together, using analytical powers that would make a stockbroker weep. Finally, the agreement is written down and imprinted in the dwarven racial memory.

Why do elves never bring caravan guards?
My wooden badge was delicious.

grimman007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

'Cause we killed them all last time. :P

Why do wells blow up when water freezes?
Urist's Mod! Spawnable NPCs include bogeymen, bronze colossi and a random Forgotten Beast, generated on the fly and animated for your vomit.  Also magma.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Water expands when it freezes, it makes sense that it expands so much in an sociopathicviolentintensive game like DF that it forcibly expells the materials of the well.

Why are cats granted such liberty and mastery?  as opposed to dogs or raccons or dolphins or gnomes or mermaids or any other not-quite-sentient but smart (or sentient but not quite a civ) animal?
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

Well, clearly its because they are mind-wiping paras-
ALL HAIL CAT!

Why is the Elven World-Gen Strategy for fighting sheer numbers? I'm 4000 elves against 700 dwarves, againt 1500 humans. And in later world-gen they go up to 9000.

Yes, Elves are over 9000.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Cassandra

• Bay Watcher
  • Serpent Lady, Slayer of Ancients
    • View Profile

Dwarves have low population due to !!SCIENCE!! And humans live too close to dwarves. Duh.
Cassandra likes elves for their taste, Cobalt for it's pretty colors, and kittens for their cute intentions. She is incredibly strong, but horribly unlucky, and speaks with a rasping accent. She is white with black eyes. She likes dwarves for their hilarious intentions.

"The fuck do you mean by 'plot'"

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why don't toenails heal again?
PKs DF Mod!

Burnup

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill until you can't, Then savescum.
    • View Profile

Why don't toenails heal again?

They can't 'again' because they didn't heal in the first place. Dwarves don't grow keratin, nor filamentous biomaterial, They're born with such things.

Why can Gobbo McSuperBowman win in a range fight running around in an open field, when Urist McAwesomeXbow x8 is behind fortifications 3z levels up? Boom headshot x8 without taking damage how?
Just tell her that you were merely doing what the voices in your head were telling you to do.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I meant again as in Im sure its been asked.  Mi scusi
Why can Gobbo McSuperBowman win in a range fight running around in an open field, when Urist McAwesomeXbow x8 is behind fortifications 3z levels up? Boom headshot x8 without taking damage how?
PKs DF Mod!

Burnup

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill until you can't, Then savescum.
    • View Profile

I meant again as in Im sure its been asked.  Mi scusi

In that case I go with my second answer:  Dwarves don't grow keratin, nor filamentous biomaterial, They're born with such things.
Hence being born with full grown beards. They do not have the bodily make up to 'grow' or 'heal' such things.
Unless you dabble in biological engineering of dwarven genetics (The raws) and make a mutated-beard-growing-semi-dwarven race.
But that sounds like tampering better left focused on elves, because of elves dire need for it. Dwarves are perfect as is.

Now I repeat: Why can Gobbo McSuperBowman win in a range fight running around in an open field, when Urist McAwesomeXbow x8 is behind fortifications 3z levels up? Boom headshot x8 without taking damage how?
Just tell her that you were merely doing what the voices in your head were telling you to do.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 301