Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 467638 times)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile

(Wait, they can? I thought it was one minecart, one track.)

The same way that several tons of stone can fit in one tile, I suppose.

Why do some evil mists' residue appear only after a normally-clensing rain?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile

Clearly the residue is mixed with the dirt, but rises above water, so it would probably also appear of you happened to flood everything with water. Probably. OR it's for !Fun!

Why do dorfs always take the long and dangerous path if they can, rather than a short and safe one?
(go outside the fort through backdoor, walk around fort, barely avoid goblin siege, run through now open front gate. Or just walk down a hallway. >.>)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Because you set traffic designations wrong.

How do dwarves manage to destroy three quarters of what they mine?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile

A lot of what they mine is transformed into useless rubble instead of stones, which is immediately atom smashed with the beard.

Why do dwarves have a preference for which way to mine and construct from?
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

necromancerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Undoubtedly asked 1*10^47 times before but how do you tell all your Dwarfs to run the **** inside when a siege, wave of unimaginable horror or giant grass hopper men threaten your fort? Is just assigning all the people outside to a civilian alert burrough or something then removing it when the draw bridges go up enough?

therealmarauder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dwarves were always trained to do it facing a certain way and, since all creatures have an innate sense of direction, they try to do it that way if they possibly can.

How do all creatures know which way is which? At the very least, they can pick a cardinal direction from a semicardinal direction.

therealmarauder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Undoubtedly asked 1*10^47 times before but how do you tell all your Dwarfs to run the **** inside when a siege, wave of unimaginable horror or giant grass hopper men threaten your fort? Is just assigning all the people outside to a civilian alert burrough or something then removing it when the draw bridges go up enough?

This isn't really the thread for that, but just make a burrow which is everything underground and not in the caverns, then set alerts to confine dwarves to burrows when you set the alert. But sure, confining them to a tiny little space and then letting them go when the bridge goes up would work, as long as you don't mind canceling all the tasks.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile

1. N, to create a new alert, from within the Military Alert submenu.  Name it Danger
2. Create burrow in safety zone.  Name it Danger.
3. Open alerts, make sure A flag is next to Danger burrow, when Danger alert is highlighted.*
4. When a SIEGE happens, immediately move CIV flag from Inactive alert to Danger alert
5. Do nothing with Active/Training alert or squads, or the individual squad settings will get broken.

*Player might have to use the arrow keys to get over to that third column, where the Danger burrow is at, to put the A beside the word Danger
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Great, the continuity of the thread has been broken by some guy asking how to handle his dwarves under a siege. Let us see were we were shall we?
How do all creatures know which way is which? At the very least, they can pick a cardinal direction from a semicardinal direction.
Creatures do not know direction by heart, but the way Armok has formed the world constricts them to only moving in 8 directions, which is from one infinite space to another.

How come carnivorous pets never eat?
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile

They do. They break apart very small pieces of their own muscle, magically digest it and then they regenerate the muscle.

What are dwarven beards made from?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile

Serious Answer: It hasn't been Implemented yet.
Comical Answer: They filter feed. They can also lick blood off the walls and get all their dietary essentials from that.

NINJA!
What are dwarven beards made from?
Super Adamantine

What if DF had Aliens?
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

We could do some more !!Science!!

What if DF DIDN'T have aliens?
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile

The accursed Animal and Element People would not have come to be.

Why are dwarves so clueless about flame?
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

therealmarauder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lack of fire safety PSAs.

Why do cats need to walk by every tile?

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because curiosity kills the cat, and everything must die in this game.

Why isn't there a great deal of good DF fan music?
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 301